BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy's New Contract

We have to replace him sooner or later and his legs are not getting any younger. He is still good for the odd goal or amazing pass but the majority of the time he is not up to it. Still a legend though. :rover:

I'm not sure that he isn't a valuable squad member. Given the right opposition, Tugay, as Philip point out, can run the game. Moreover he makes the game a pleasure to watch. And like any other player of his type, he often needs a couple of games to get his eye in.

The issue I think is given the choice of a player that increasingly is a squad player, or one that can start every week, Hughes might go for the later.

A real shame, as I said, because, I find it difficult to think of anyone who's given as much enjoyment at EP as Tugay. A true, true great, who musn't be allowed to slip away at the end of the season with his future unclear. A start against Derby is mandatory.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Tugay's salary would go very far towards new players as I would imagine that his latest 1 year deals aren't exactly massive. Maybe you know something that I don't, but I don't think this club would give a player in his late thirties who won't play every game a £20k+ deal, I think it's considerably less than that.

I don't think Tugay's salary would go very far towards new players as I would imagine that his latest 1 year deals aren't exactly massive. Maybe you know something that I don't, but I don't think this club would give a player in his late thirties who won't play every game a £20k+ deal, I think it's considerably less than that.

I have idea what Tugay earns, anyone know?

Tugay is still my favourite player at Rovers. I have brought my son up watching how Tugay plays and I am pleased he tries to play football like Tugay

I will be extremely upset if Tugay does not get offered a new deal or is not offered a deal working with the kids - what an example he would set to aspiring kids.

If he does have to leave we should have Tugay day against Derby with Turkish flags etc it would be great to see Blackburn Ens awash with Turkish flags and scarfs.

I have idea what Tugay earns, anyone know?

I know it's not a great reference point, but Football Manager always has his wages at around £8,000 per week. A lot of research goes in to those games and I'd be surprised if they were putting in a figure that was very different from reality year after year.

Tugay is still my favourite player at Rovers. I have brought my son up watching how Tugay plays and I am pleased he tries to play football like Tugay

I will be extremely upset if Tugay does not get offered a new deal or is not offered a deal working with the kids - what an example he would set to aspiring kids.

If he does have to leave we should have Tugay day against Derby with Turkish flags etc it would be great to see Blackburn Ens awash with Turkish flags and scarfs.

We really should have a testimonial against Galatasaray. I am sure they woud be up for it.

That's one way of looking at it. Personally I don't think Santa Cruz or Benni had a good game, but that's because we were second-best for the majority of it.

True, but when Roberts came on and then Derbyshire we suddenly looked quite dangerous whereas previously we looked quite poor.

I guess part of it is the counter attacking element. Both Derbs and Roberts are guys who are setup to hurt teams on the break due to their pace and direct style. Benni is not like that, he just can't move quick enough and much prefers to be a little clever which quite often result in the counter attack losing momentum.

Against Fulham we might hope to pin them back a bit whcih will suit Benni, so maybe he should get the nod. Or we could potentially play 3 up front if Dunn is still injured.

yeah nice link there.. hopefully with a bit of more deptch added to our squad and also keeping the likes of Benni here we can only get better.. its not impossible is it? its a big ask for us and it would be amazing if we could make the champions league in the next few years i doubt it but i would love it more than anything!!!!

Come on Benni!! get bagging the goals and keep up the effort! :D

Every week it's like that game of picking petals off daisies. We love him.... we love him not.... we love him... we love him not ....and on and on. Fact is imo that he and RSC are the two first choice stikers but that in Roberts and Derbyshire we have two players who have more to offer as impact players when coming on as substitutes. My only gripe is that Hughes frequently gives em too much to do in too little time. They should be brought on 10 -15 mins sooner most occasions that they are used.

Oh much as I rate him as our 1st choice it would do no harm to sub RSC occasionally.

Sorry that article seems to be in Bennis' native Zulu language...

A translation for those who don't speak the lingo...

''I'm in my thirties, I'm damn inconsistant, noone else wants me and they're giving me a payrise.''

Every week it's like that game of picking petals off daisies. We love him.... we love him not.... we love him... we love him not ....and on and on. Fact is imo that he and RSC are the two first choice stikers but that in Roberts and Derbyshire we have two players who have more to offer as impact players when coming on as substitutes. My only gripe is that Hughes frequently gives em too much to do in too little time. They should be brought on 10 -15 mins sooner most occasions that they are used.

Oh much as I rate him as our 1st choice it would do no harm to sub RSC occasionally.

Why sub a plyer thats playing good though, if rsc is playing better than benni than sub benni unless rsc needs resting. :wacko:

Go whine somewhere else. I like Benni's high aiming aspirations. Hopefully they (his aspirations) will catch on with the other and the team will make a strong push t'words the top.

I'm not whining, I like Benni, I'm just intrigued how his tune changes when he's not banging in the goals and more money is thrown in front of him.

Personally I think by the time his (current) contract has expired he'll be well past his best, so why we can't leave it, and let him leave in two years for free is beyond me. That would be good business all around.

And before anyone yells 'CLAUSE' at me, £5m and he's yours.

Wanted.

One Premier League striker.

20+ goals per season at better than a goal every other game when he's good

10+ goals per season at better than a goal every three games when he's rubbish

Fee sub £5m. Wages £40K a week.

Offers to Shillito 15 obo Blackburn Rovers FC

Wanted.

One Premier League striker.

20+ goals per season at better than a goal every other game when he's good

10+ goals per season at better than a goal every three games when he's rubbish

Fee sub £5m. Wages £40K a week.

Offers to Shillito 15 obo Blackburn Rovers FC

To be fair he has scored most from the penalty spot.

It's a question of motivation for me. If Benni wants it he can be a very decent player for us. If he doesn't then he is a bit of a passenger.

As far as the quotes go they are excellent. But then Benni is great at PR, all of his interviews are inspiring.

What I would like to see is against Fulham him really causing some damage- looking for the ball, retaining it and linking up the play. A goal in open play would be good too.

As far as his future goes it looks like Roberts will leave in the summer with Hughes looking to make a Roque standard signing up front as a replacement. Debyshire also continues to improve (he looked much less lightweight against Newcastle) so Benni will be looking at a tough fight to be a regular starter next season.

Yeah and IF Derbyshire hadnt grabbed the ball at Villa - we would now be level with them as McCarthy would of fired it home!

To be fair he has scored most from the penalty spot.

As far as his future goes it looks like Roberts will leave in the summer with Hughes looking to make a Roque standard signing up front as a replacement. Debyshire also continues to improve (he looked much less lightweight against Newcastle) so Benni will be looking at a tough fight to be a regular starter next season.

I too would let Roberts go - but only for anything of £4m +. I think this summer might be one of our biggest yet for many seasons. Especially if we get 6th place.

Archived