BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Army

Anybody in the Army or been in?

After seeing my Brother in for the last 5 years and me comptemplating with the idea for a while of going in I've finally decided its the career I want and I went down to the careers office. got my BARB test in 2 weeks cant wait. Just got to build my fitness up now cause I aint doner amy in 5 years since leaving school.

The Careers office/army website should have a fitness course for you.

I'd recommend that you dont do too much too soon. Or you'll crock your self.

Basically you ahve to run a mile and a half with in 20 minutes (ish) and march 8 miles in a set time with full battle kit.

Plus do some push ups and chin ups.

Get some decent trainers so you dont get shin splints. do most of your running on the road/cross country, treadmills are all right but dont replicate proper running.

Also do a mile or two more than you expect to be tested on, because that'll give you a fitness reserve which you can pull on if neccessary (ie if you need to go quicker or the course is steeper than the one you're used to).

Speak to your career's guy, also see your local TA unit, they might be able to help out.

I was at university with the chap that lead the assault on the Embassy. He was a major in the SAS having previously been a Para.

He got pensioned out on the grounds of a dodgy knee that he sustained in Gulf War 1.

Thoroughly nice bloke, but getting on the wrong side of him was something that only the criminally insane would even contemplate.

Good luck in the Army by the way.

After seeing my Brother in for the last 5 years and me comptemplating with the idea for a while of going in I've finally decided its the career I want and I went down to the careers office. got my BARB test in 2 weeks cant wait. Just got to build my fitness up now cause I aint doner amy in 5 years since leaving school.

I was in the army for a few years - fitness as well as diet is essential leave the booze, fags etc. The battle fitness test during my time was to run in a squad for 1.5 miles in 15 minutes and turn around and run 1.5 miles in under 11 minutes on your own. That in itself is a sufficient test, you should be able at your age (eventually) do the second 1.5 miles in 8 to 9 minutes. You would normally do this in boots not trainers - but trainers are ok until you join. Why not try to get a mate to train with you as it easier that way.

If you are trying to get fit before joining - just do that test. Saying that I thought I was fit when I joined as I was running and playing football regular - yet still struggled on my first run with the army. But that was because they want it that way - they break you in order to re-make you.

I am 46 years now and still run - I still do that test by running 1.5 miles in one direction and make sure I do it in 15 minutes, then turn round and get back as fast as I can - I average 13 to 14 minutes now - though a 12 once, but it was raining as it is easier to run then.

Yes I would recommend joining the army, it is a job, food and lodgings, hard work but you have a good laugh as well - it changes you for life.

The Careers office/army website should have a fitness course for you.

I'd recommend that you dont do too much too soon. Or you'll crock your self.

Basically you ahve to run a mile and a half with in 20 minutes (ish) and march 8 miles in a set time with full battle kit.

Plus do some push ups and chin ups.

Get some decent trainers so you dont get shin splints. do most of your running on the road/cross country, treadmills are all right but dont replicate proper running.

Also do a mile or two more than you expect to be tested on, because that'll give you a fitness reserve which you can pull on if neccessary (ie if you need to go quicker or the course is steeper than the one you're used to).

Speak to your career's guy, also see your local TA unit, they might be able to help out.

I've got a fitness poster from the Army and my brothers going to give me advice as much possible. My fitness is none existent though so just taking it easy at the min. Got to cut my ale down dont smoke so thats okay.

Best of British to you mate.

I am ex Royal navy and wish you all the very best. Its a great career and dont let the PC brigade put you down.

Thats the reason I've decided sign up for the career. I was worried about them but if they say anything I'll just ignore them.

Cheers everyone aswell :)

Yeah you're a real scream.

It was a light-hearted comment. Though really you are the last person who should be bleating about pet topics. :rolleyes:

To OhmiBRFC, what are your views on being dispatched to Iraq or Afghanistan? Does it not phase you at all? I'm genuinely interested.

Never mind a career in the forces, earn some real money by opening a rope shop in Bridgend

Archived