BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Army

Yeah you're a real scream.

It was a light-hearted comment. Though really you are the last person who should be bleating about pet topics. :rolleyes:

To OhmiBRFC, what are your views on being dispatched to Iraq or Afghanistan? Does it not phase you at all? I'm genuinely interested.

If I get posted there I'd have to deal with it. My brothers on his way back to Iraq as I type this message and its watching his videos and pictures that have swayed me to sign up to the Army, strange I know.

I've been in the Army for around 18 months now, so I'd say im fairly up to date with what's going on.

People have criticised the new modern day Army for being too easy for the 'Playstation Generation' whether that's true or not I don't know. What sort of role do you want, I've got mates in various regiments, corps so could give you some advice.

You've probably heard from your brother about it anyway, basic training is not easy, it's a huge learning curve, not only to become a soldier but as a person as well, from day one you will be assessed, no rest time whatsoever.

PM me and good luck

The Careers office/army website should have a fitness course for you.

I'd recommend that you dont do too much too soon. Or you'll crock your self.

Basically you ahve to run a mile and a half with in 20 minutes (ish) and march 8 miles in a set time with full battle kit.

Plus do some push ups and chin ups.

Get some decent trainers so you dont get shin splints. do most of your running on the road/cross country, treadmills are all right but dont replicate proper running.

Also do a mile or two more than you expect to be tested on, because that'll give you a fitness reserve which you can pull on if neccessary (ie if you need to go quicker or the course is steeper than the one you're used to).

Speak to your career's guy, also see your local TA unit, they might be able to help out.

Just seen this... mile and a half in 20 minutes? Could walk that in that time easy. 1.5mile times depends on what you're doing, the main pass rate is 10mins 30 secs for most, Para's is about 9mins 15 secs.

You should be running it in around 9mins to be honest, CFT is 8 miles full kit in 1 hour 59mins, again the weight depends on what regiment you're in etc.

• 2 weeks later...

A family friend was in the Pathfinders. He said the training for that was unlike anything the mind or body can dream of. He did try out for the SAS but was unsuccessful. Unlike his mate who got in by having his gran give him a lift on the 'get from here to here in 30 minutes' exercise, where the parameters didn't actually preclude you from hitching a ride.

I'm consdering the Radar Option, I'd like to do Tanks but there isn't much call for being able to drive tanks in the normal day to day life :lol: Plus I think my Dad would have a fit, he wants me to work in stores or be a muscian :lol:

Archived