BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gazza

A bit rich given your joke about the Bridgend foks.

That was just a topical joke doing the rounds, not a totally inaccurate precis of a once gifted footballer.

Nice to see that when you're not stalking Jim you're checking my posts lumpy.

Incidentally it's 'folks', started early ?

Still the most talented footballer ENgland produced for fifteen years. Only Rooney can touch him for me.

Shame he threw it away, and I guess he is a complete idiot. But you cannot accuse him of not being a sensational player.

He's definitely not an idiot ....just has a few mental problems that have undoubtedly been compounded by fame and fortune .

With a personality like Gazza's it would have been better for him never to have seen a football and to have lived as a happy go lucky everyday working class bloke .

It has to said that he was never cut out to be a manager or anything along those lines . He was a genius with a football , his perception and grasp of angles incredible .....but once time caught up with him , well ...that's the time someone like him needs real friends - particularly a wife in his case I suspect . But who can he trust ?

I bet once his eccentricities and habits whilst he's having one of his moments gets widely known, people/media etc. will be piling in to condemn him and stick in the knife. The tabloids' calls of 'we'll support you Gazza' ring so hollow, Skiing fans are taking them up a mountain. It did seem inevitable that he'd crack eventually, as every time I saw him, he looked more unhealthy. It's sad, but I can see how this story will pan out in the public eye.

That was just a topical joke doing the rounds, not a totally inaccurate precis of a once gifted footballer.

Nice to see that when you're not stalking Jim you're checking my posts lumpy.

Topical or not it's sick a bit like Gazza at the moment.

A bit less of the insults as well or do the guidelines not apply to you?

I need to grow up? hmmm, saying someone has got "demons" please! Its like saying the fella has never brought anything upon himself, "Sorry officer it was the demons that did it". I'm simply expressing my opinion, which is basically why all the fuss with this guy and where are they selling these rose tinted glasses. Your career comes to an end go play golf. Don't go frightening hotel staff acting like the world owes you......the fella we are talking about needs to grow up. I'm old enough to remember italia 90 and the fella was good don't get me wrong but, 1 freekick at wembley and 1 goal against the kilts is what he seems to be getting remembered for in purely footballing terms. The general jist of this thread is that peoples memories are very selective after a couple of good goals. And on that basis after a career of scoring countless 30 yarders and for the most part acting as a one man team steven gerrard could probably do an O.J and get away with it in 10 years time. All that said though gazza did turn out a more rounded fella than the bloke tried to decapitate at wembley.

In addition U IDIOT, it does'nt matter how old i get i'm never gonna find any sympathy for a 40 year old drunk, half-wit acting like a prick after he's had everything given to him on a plate. You don't read stories of david busst Getting parlaytic and bitching of how he could have been some one. Norman whiteside is a great example of just getting on with life after football. My statement that the fella is a tosser is bulletproof and i stand by it.

He's definitely not an idiot ....just has a few mental problems that have undoubtedly been compounded by fame and fortune .

With a personality like Gazza's it would have been better for him never to have seen a football and to have lived as a happy go lucky everyday working class bloke .

It has to said that he was never cut out to be a manager or anything along those lines . He was a genius with a football , his perception and grasp of angles incredible .....but once time caught up with him , well ...that's the time someone like him needs real friends - particularly a wife in his case I suspect . But who can he trust ?

Spot on,

He has always had mental health problems. I can remember him being unveiled at Newcastle as a 17 year old speaking to the TV cameras with a Mars bar in one hand & a bottle of Newcastle Brown in the other.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but someone somewhere in his football career should have spotted that he was a bit unstable. But as he was also a brilliant player I don't suppose the football industry cared much just as long as he kept playing wonderfully.

He went daft with that tackle on Gary Charles in the FA Cup final, screwed up in Italia & we all thought it was emotion; Lazio was a disaster for him. It just goes on. Managing Kettering Town was also a disaster.

As Phil said, if he was just a "normal" bloke he's probably be OK, but he's been to the top and now he's a nothing and it probably doesn't do him any good.

I'm not a shrink so I really can't say any of this with any degree of authority.

Whatever, he's got mental health problems and the sooner all of us get used to the fact that mental health problems should carry no more stigma than a broken ankle or a toothache or an ingrowing toenail the better we will all be.

Insulting him because he has mental health problems is a bit like calling your Granny a "mad old bat" just because she's got flu. Just wait until someone you know has mental health problems and then see how you feel about it. You probably will have to deal with it one day.

I wish the bloke well. I hope he gets the help & treatment he needs and that he can get himself sorted out.

Would that be schcitzo mental, think your a dog mental, hearing voices mental, frank bruno mental, why do they stare mental, britney mental or annoy hotel guests with your comedy parrots and pick a fight with a porter mental? If its the latter your asking about i'll guess 1. Hope that answers your question!! you bleeding heart!

Would that be schcitzo mental, think your a dog mental, hearing voices mental, frank bruno mental, why do they stare mental, britney mental or annoy hotel guests with your comedy parrots and pick a fight with a porter mental? If its the latter your asking about i'll guess 1. Hope that answers your question!! you bleeding heart!

Actually I think you may just be a little bit mental.

On second thoughts you're an absolute effing fruitcake.

Nighty night.

Gascoigne, in my mind, had the talent to be mentioned in the same breath as Best, Hoddle, Rooney, Charlton but only ever fulfilled a part of it. Badly advised, terribly immature and indulged and not the most robust character around, he is not the sharpest tool in the box and, as someone said, would have been far happier as a happy go lucky working class guy with a regular job.

Part of me has no sympathy at all for such a wasted talent a fraction of which most of us would do anything to acquire.

But, having read his autobiography, he has also IMO been battling mental illness all his adult life and has had no port in which to harbour when life is dark for him - he's needed a friend or two more than most of us and yet never had enough good friends when needed ending up instead with flotsam and jetsam in and around (night) clubs various.

It's sad but inevitable and I hope he finds happiness as I do not feel he has had much of that so far and has been exploited at the expense of his health by people, some of whom should hang their heads in shame. He has to shoulder some responsibility but I don't believe he is well enough or bright enough - and never has been - to do that at the moment. Let's hope the therapist brings that side of him out.

Maybe you missed one mental illness the one that is I'm a member of a message board and want to be contraversial and centre of attention, I think you seem to suffer from that.

:lol:

Tis a shame about Gascoigne. Not because he was a good footballer, a bad footballer, a Burnley footballer, or anything in between. It's sad because he's a human being hit on hard times. Whether he's a footballer or not is irrelevant.

As far as his career goes, I loved him when he was at Rangers. Was gutted when he went to Burnley. He did plenty after 1991, just not as much as he should have.

I think it was Bobby Robson who labelled Gazza as "daft as a brush"...never a more spot-on sentiment.

A great (but unfulfilled) talent & a natural joker.

Sad to see him end up like this :(

BRFC1995

You really have no idea do you?

The fact that someone is " mental " is just a phrase to you.

One day you will understand. Might be tomorow, might be 30 years.

Its all to do with chemical imbalances on the brain. One of the main culprits is dopermine. Could happen to you. Could happen me. Its just the body breaking down. A bit like a cruciate but in a psycholgical way instead of physical.

Come on Gazza.

• 3 weeks later...

Gazza's longtime pal Jimmy Gardner has revealed details of the sad decline of Gazza, who told him that he had nothing to live for.

Gardner says that Gascoigne locked himself in a hotel room for four weeks and was surviving on five cans of lager, 30 fags and just a piece of toast a day - with his weight plummeting to a skinny 9 stone. Jimmy claims that he was on the receiving end of foul-mouthed abuse from Gazza when he tried to help him.

Gardner says that Gazza's old celebrity mates like Chris Evans and Danny Baker don't bother to contact Gazza anymore. "When he was a big England star they wanted him on their shows and he was great for ratings. But they don't seem to want to know any more," says Gardner.

Interview with Gardner here

Archived