BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Eduardo

Ricky

Unsuprisingly Wenger has called for Taylor to be banned for life for a shocking tackle. I don't recall him saying anything when Eboue launched into and injured John Terry with a very similar challenge to that of Taylors. Difference was that Taylors was probably unintentional whereas Eboue's was certainly revenge for a Terry challenge moments earlier.

Wengers problem is that he refuses to see or criticise anything that his players do, but shouts as loud as he can when it's something against his team.

From seeing Taylor for several seasons we all know he is neither dirty nor malicious. LeChuck, I really do believe he was that crap to be made to tackle that late.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some really bad injuries are just unlucky.

I agree, I guess Cissé would be an example, no-one could blame McEveley for that. Buust and Nilis spring to mind as well.

There is no luck involved at here though. At the very least it's complete incompetence on Taylor's part, and at worst malicious. Whatever the reason, why should he only get a three game ban whilst Eduardo is going to face at least a year on the sidelines? That's if he even comes back at all...

LeChuck, I really do believe he was that crap to be made to tackle that late.

Having thought about it again, it's quite possible actually.

Still, it seems a complete injustice that, because of his sheer incompetence, Eduardo will face a battle for his career, whilst Taylor will just sit out three games.

If that level of incompetence happened in any other industry, and resulted in such horrific injury, there would be huge consequence. In this case, it would just be like sending the culprit home for a few days, then letting them come back and resume as normal.

I agree, I guess Cissé would be an example, no-one could blame McEveley for that. Buust and Nilis spring to mind as well.

There is no luck involved at here though. At the very least it's complete incompetence on Taylor's part, and at worst malicious. Whatever the reason, why should he only get a three game ban whilst Eduardo is going to face at least a year on the sidelines? That's if he even comes back at all...

because every weekend there's players jumping in like this and either missing player and ball completely (and nothing happening to them), or scything them down but not injuring the player, or injuring them for a few weeks. it's only in a few cases that things like this happen, so yes luck does play a part. especially with someone like taylor who is one of the least aggressive centre backs in the league, it's a little harsh if you were to give him a huge ban for a split second of madness when there's far worse players getting away with it up and down the country.

3379.jpg

Looks pretty damn intentional to me, and did so at the time. You don't just launch in to the air like that by accident. Look how far away from the ball he is too. I know he's crap, but he's not THAT crap that he can miss by such a distance.

For tackles like that, there should be a rule whereby the culprit is banned for the duration that the victim is sidelined for.

Photographs nearly always give unfair reflection of the situation.

As an ex centre half myself, you could have got a thousand still photo's of some of my tackles, that would have got me imprisonned, but throughout my career, I never even got a yellow card.

because every weekend there's players jumping in like this and either missing player and ball completely (and nothing happening to them), or scything them down but not injuring the player, or injuring them for a few weeks. it's only in a few cases that things like this happen, so yes luck does play a part. especially with someone like taylor who is one of the least aggressive centre backs in the league, it's a little harsh if you were to give him a huge ban for a split second of madness when there's far worse players getting away with it up and down the country.

It's a good point and one I was trying to make about Taylor. We know what he's like because Souness used to moan about how unagressive he was. Whilst there are plenty of malicious players out there and everyone knows who they are - indeed there were at least 2 on that pitch today and they were wearing red shirts. This will clearly affect Eduardo but it wouldn't surprise me if this doesn't affect Taylor as well

As an ex centre half myself, you could have got a thousand still photo's of some of my tackles, that would have got me imprisonned, but throughout my career, I never even got a yellow card.

With all due respect Den, you're not a professional and could be forgiven for such lapses.

Lets say this happened to you (not you specifically Den, just in general) at work; because of sheer incompetence and negligence on someone else's behalf, you suffer a horrendous injury and the possibility of not being able to resume your career again. As a punishment, the offender is docked a weeks wages, sent home for 3 days then allowed to return to their position and resume as normal. Would you be happy with that? I know I wouldn't.

Lets say this happened to you (not you specifically Den, just in general) at work; because of sheer incompetence and negligence on someone else's behalf, you suffer a horrendous injury and the possibility of not being able to resume your career again.

I remember having a debate with somebody a few years ago after a player suffered a similar injury. I said that although I felt sorry for the player, injuries are always likely in a contact sport and in my view the wages they are on should be looked as containing 'danger money'.

At work I do not expect broken limbs to be a risk of my job. In football it is.

With all due respect Den, you're not a professional and could be forgiven for such lapses.

Lets say this happened to you (not you specifically Den, just in general) at work; because of sheer incompetence and negligence on someone else's behalf, you suffer a horrendous injury and the possibility of not being able to resume your career again. As a punishment, the offender is docked a weeks wages, sent home for 3 days then allowed to return to their position and resume as normal. Would you be happy with that? I know I wouldn't.

You can't compare football to the real world.

It's nothing to do with being professional or not, LeChuck. It's simply down to whether or not Tiny intended to hurt the guy. I don't believe he did.

:lol: :lol:

As a striker, i only got one yellow ever, for taking my shirt of in Burnley when i scored to reveal a Rovers Shirt!! The Locals werent happy!

At work I do not expect broken limbs to be a risk of my job. In football it is.

Fair point. What if I narrowed the argument to working on a building site and suffering an injury? You'd accept the risks of working on a building site, but I'm sure you'd still be just as outraged if someone's incompetence injured you.

You can't compare football to the real world.

People are forever doing it on here, especially with regard to wages etc. Read the Neill thread, plenty of people say things like "if you were offered x amount extra to do your job, wouldn't you take it?". It's not really fair to pick and choose when football can be applied to the real world and when it can't.

It's nothing to do with being professional or not, LeChuck. It's simply down to whether or not Tiny intended to hurt the guy. I don't believe he did.

In the post you've quoted, I haven't mentioned intent, I was talking about incompetence. And of course professional or not matters, it's difficult to discipline someone for incompetence if it's not their profession, you can hardly fine or suspend them, unless you use the police...but that doesn't apply in this case.

Incompetence? Hmmm, well we're talking about split-second tackles here. It's not as if Taylor is a gallumphing idiot. I think it has to be written off as "one of those things".

It's simply not teh same as someone failing to follow safety regulations on a building site, and seriously injuring another as a result. We're talking about Premi8ership footballers here, the very top of the profession.

When you play a contact sport you know that injury is a risk, it's as simple as that. I've seen some bad injuries when playing sport, but I've seen very few where I've thought any intent was involved. Things like this happen. Sport is played at such a pace and you are talking about people throwing their bodies around trying to get a very small but fast moving object, accidents will happen. I'd never defend a player who tried to hurt someone else, but we will see a hundred more tackles like that this season and that may well be the last broken leg, I think that says a lot.

I'm sorry but to say it's incompetence is a bit rich. Every single weekend there are HUNDREDS of instances of skillful players taking the ball away from other players, beating them for pace or simply making them look daft. And there must be THOUSANDS of instances of missed tackles, kicks, mis-times etc. Over the last few weeks we have watched the magic of the FA cup where lower league teams have put one over on the opposition. Clearly they are inferior players and there was a chance that they would injure one of the better players? Maybe we should ban them from competing? Perhaps the EU can introduce another piece of red tape.

Let's get real, this is football. It's a physical game with contact and from time to time, thankfully very rarely, something like this happens. Let's not get into fatuous arguments because when you take them to the extreme you end up with no game because it's too dangerous.

It's not as if Taylor is a gallumphing idiot.

Well...that could be a matter of opinion. ;)

Cissé/Buust/Nilis/Smith etc. can be written off as "one of those things", but surely there's obvious blame attached to Taylor here? I know I'm getting dangerously close to 'where there's blame there's a claim', I'm trying my hardest not to though. Honest.

We're talking about Premi8ership footballers here, the very top of the profession.

Which is the very reason Taylor should be able to tackle properly.

If it happened in a Sunday league match (as I touched on when Den compared it to his bone crunching days) you could forgive it. A top professional should be able to control his limbs better, everything about that tackle is wrong; the height of the boot, his weight distribution, leading with the studs. I know it happened in a split second, but that doesn't help Eduardo at all.

If it happened in a Sunday league match (as I touched on when Den compared it to his bone crunching days) you could forgive it.

That's my point though, LeChuck. I wasn't a bone cruncher, I was never booked. But, you could have taken a thousand photo's of my tackles, that came out like the one you illustrated.

That photo alone doesn't count for anything. It's down to whether Tiny intended to hurt Eduardo, or whether it was accidental.

Archived