BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Umbro Shirt Designs 2009-10

Maybe just playing devils advocate here.... but as I wasn't there its difficult to take into context what/how things where said exactly . If its commercial suicide to keep the away as such then surely the same applies for the home strip ( even though as we all know this is just a no go about changing ) and just sounds like an 'off sort of answer in the realms of if they could they would change the home shirt also.

I was there and they seemed genuine in saying that they would not tamper with the home shirt apart from the detailing changes we see each year. I think the outcry would be self defeating both for Umbro and the club. The away strip is a different matter - as you can see from the various threads people like different strips we have had, although there does seem to be a strong undercurrent for having a halved shirt of some sort every year. I agree with Rev - Simon and Tom clearly said that, after listening to our comments they thought we would be very happy with this year's designs, which I also took to mean some sort of halved shirt again, although as he says, neither of us actually knows.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, does anyone have any idea when the minutes will be available from the Fans Forum?

Thanks.

Well I've already written them! They are just being passed around to be agreed. Hopefully I can get them agreed and out before I go away on holiday for a week on Saturday. So they will be out either on Friday or a week on Monday.

This seasons kit looks great, but what i think that can improve it further and probably sell the kit to a wider audience and give off its roots is obviously a strong blue and white half but the red near the shoulder should or could be designed in away that to the eye it looks similar to the union jack flag.

I'm not suggesting its a blatant replica of the union jack around the shoulders of the shirt but with creative designer lines in the colour red added in a way with the blue and white backgrounds were applicable can at first sight give the impression that its similar or looks close to the union jack this for me would add value to who Blackburn Rovers are and were we are from.

Its an opportunity not to be missed.

Ewood glory did some great mock ups of possible away kits and hopefully Rovers will keep to the halved away kit concept and just change the colours they use to suit the commercial side of things.

Well I've already written them! They are just being passed around to be agreed. Hopefully I can get them agreed and out before I go away on holiday for a week on Saturday. So they will be out either on Friday or a week on Monday.

Thanks for that.

As long as the kit is halved, it doesn't really matter unless it is a nasty shade of green.

Red/white halves might not look too bad?

Like that Yellow/Green kit Man United had about 10 years ago.

That was a view I expressed at the Forum last night, however Simon Marsh intimated that it wouldn't be possible to stick with red and black halves per se every year as to do so would be commercial suicide.

Commercial suicide my hairy arse. The vast majority of our money comes through TV revenue, then through ticket revenue, and THEN it is merchandising, of which shirts are a part. The away kit is then half of that shirt sales figure, whatever that is, and most people who would buy away kits on an every season basis would most likely been even an alteration of the current red and black number. And it has been a very popular design- it is even possible they will LOWER sales of new shirts if they change it! But even if it will increase sales, it isn't by enough to be using such a dramatic phrase as 'commercial suicide'. The club won't even vaguely resemble going under from such a change. I would be surprised if the difference amounted to anywhere near half of Benni's wages for the season.

Also, on the rare occasions we attract overseas supporters, they quite often cite our kit as a reason for their initial interest. Admittedly this is usually the home version, but the away one has a chance of similar success since it is so damned cool.

You need to get number 9 Garlick on the back too :rolleyes:

As long as you don't get the likes of Bentley or Santa on the back of yours...

Down the years it seems like your shirts have been a direct message to the chairman of who to sell next!!

Commercial suicide my hairy arse. The vast majority of our money comes through TV revenue, then through ticket revenue, and THEN it is merchandising, of which shirts are a part. The away kit is then half of that shirt sales figure, whatever that is, and most people who would buy away kits on an every season basis would most likely been even an alteration of the current red and black number. And it has been a very popular design- it is even possible they will LOWER sales of new shirts if they change it! But even if it will increase sales, it isn't by enough to be using such a dramatic phrase as 'commercial suicide'. The club won't even vaguely resemble going under from such a change. I would be surprised if the difference amounted to anywhere near half of Benni's wages for the season.

Also, on the rare occasions we attract overseas supporters, they quite often cite our kit as a reason for their initial interest. Admittedly this is usually the home version, but the away one has a chance of similar success since it is so damned cool.

If you bother to read back, you'll find that Simon Marsh works for Umbro not Rovers - so the rest of your rant looks very stupid.

In fact the first line of the first post of the whole thread reveals that simple fact.

There is a lot more that can be said about the quality of contributions on this whole forum. People who are banned are capable of reading, understanding and debating, people who are left can't even read.

Well for the first time in well over ten years i have both the home and away shirt before the end of may.

However,if umbro go ahead with the policy of changing shirts every year then it will be the last time i do so unless there is a significant price reduction.

Supporters fork out a lot of their money as it is to follow footy,without paying extortionate rate for replica shirts year in year out.

I would be very surprised if Umbro will make any more money by changing shirts every season,not to mention the fact in doing so they would incur widespread condemnation off Rovers supporters.

Imo THAT is commercial suicide!

Thanks Tris, you saved me a job.

Firstly, I am only reporting back what was said at the forum, don't shoot the messenger.

Secondly, Simon Marsh was talking about it being commercial suicide for Umbro, not Rovers, to produce a red and black halved away kit two years running. I don't think you can realistically argue against the view that a very similar away strip probably wouldn't sell as well as a completely new version, much as we'd like to see it.

Thirdly it became very apparent at the Forum that these guys at Umbro know a lot more about shifting shirts in large quantities than me, you, or anyone at Rovers - they really know their stuff.

I think it's also fair to say that whilst the relationship with SWI leaves a lot to be desired, the Club are extremely happy with Umbro, and rightly so imo on the basis of this year's kits and what I heard the other night.

For the home kit, would it be possible, or even desirable, to use occassionally, a retro kit.

The old polo neck with long sleeves from the sixties was superb IMO. Now that might sound like a stupid idea to some, but could we not use a kit from the past, recent or otherwise - occassionally?

Im guessing the new away kit will be awfully like the new England kit, which, thanks to 15th Choice Steve's and his players incompetance mean that Umbro have a large amount of shirts that need shifting. He says with tounge in cheek :)

For the home kit, would it be possible, or even desirable, to use occassionally, a retro kit.

The old polo neck with long sleeves from the sixties was superb IMO. Now that might sound like a stupid idea to some, but could we not use a kit from the past, recent or otherwise - occassionally?

Might not be as far away as you might think. On his way into the meeting Simon said that he had looked at some of the old shirts on display along the corridor to the Bob Crompton Suite and had specifically been impressed with what turned out to be the 1960 cup final shirt. Now you won't get an exact replica produced but this sort of design may well influence the style they produce for 09/10.

I can't grumble about this one because I am currently wearing one that I bought this season and I am very happy with it.

must have missed it last time I was in the shop. Curses.

I'm a member at Warwickshire CC and they're having the same type of issues with their shop - although they havent sold it to a commercial jumble sale company

must have missed it last time I was in the shop. Curses.

I'm a member at Warwickshire CC and they're having the same type of issues with their shop - although they havent sold it to a commercial jumble sale company

To be fair I did go at the start of the season and havent had chance to go back since so they may have all gone

Might not be as far away as you might think. On his way into the meeting Simon said that he had looked at some of the old shirts on display along the corridor to the Bob Crompton Suite and had specifically been impressed with what turned out to be the 1960 cup final shirt. Now you won't get an exact replica produced but this sort of design may well influence the style they produce for 09/10.

That's the one. Retro's [or near retro's] could be a money spinner.

pretty much of the same opinion as most- keep the halved away shirt and if the colours need to be changed, then so be it-

the halves are a rovers trait, something that the fans are proud of as it gives us a slight distinction to most other shirts out there.

for the first year since 96, i bought an away shirt. I am sure many other did the same.

a :rolleyes:

i bought a red and black halved one a couple of week ago for £28. i was waiting for next season but changed my mind after suggestions next season would be orange and the current strip would sell out.

that said, the bet 24 logo is terrible.

and also, aren't umbro ownder by nike, and accordingly the "we want your say" is charade, more of a "we tell you what you're getting unless there's serious objections"

sounds like it to me.

and also, aren't umbro ownder by nike, and accordingly the "we want your say" is charade, more of a "we tell you what you're getting unless there's serious objections"

sounds like it to me.

What's the alternative?

Not to seek any views at all? I think that's a case of not being satisfied no matter what.

Hope this isn't commercially sensitive but as I understand it Nike are to imminently acquire the Umbro brand with a view to taking it from strength to strength.

As regards the "two new shirts a year" point, my recollection is that Rovers had a sort of fans charter in place a few years ago part of which said that we would only change the home and away shirts alternately once every two years i.e. one new shirt per season.

That went out of the window when the SWI deal was signed, the clear inference being that they could bang out shirts so cheaply that two new shirts a season would barely cost any more than the 40 quid shirts then on offer from the then manufacturer. (Was it Kappa?)

Indeed, shirts were incredibly cheap in year one then the very next season SWI stiffed everyone imo by putting the prices more or less straight back up to what they were before.

Umbro have since come in and can't really be blamed imo if two new shirts per season has always been their general policy. From Rovers point of view if fans of other clubs are daft and gullible enough to buy two new kits per season then we can't afford to lose out on that revenue either.

As regards the "two new shirts a year" point, my recollection is that Rovers had a sort of fans charter in place a few years ago part of which said that we would only change the home and away shirts alternately once every two years i.e. one new shirt per season.

That went out of the window when the SWI deal was signed, the clear inference being that they could bang out shirts so cheaply that two new shirts a season would barely cost any more than the 40 quid shirts then on offer from the then manufacturer. (Was it Kappa?)

Indeed, shirts were incredibly cheap in year one then the very next season SWI stiffed everyone imo by putting the prices more or less straight back up to what they were before.

Umbro have since come in and can't really be blamed imo if two new shirts per season has always been their general policy. From Rovers point of view if fans of other clubs are daft and gullible enough to buy two new kits per season then we can't afford to lose out on that revenue either.

so in a nutshell the working man gets shafted by what was his own game, again. lets not get too rose-tinted aout the state of affairs.

personally, ###### to nike, put kids into schools, and not sweatshops

Archived