BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dodgy Wireless

We subscribed to AOL at a 2mb/s connection which came with a free netgear router. However, this wireless signal can be dodgy to say the least. It fluctuated between 0.3-2mb/s (Online internet speed tests) and sometimes goes haywire alltogether and stops working. Then will suddenly start again. Its crap. This also means I can hardly ever play my ps3 online nowadays. Is this AOL's fault, Dodgy phoneline or a crap router? Its pi**ing me off thart we payed all that money for a ps3 and cant play online because of dodgy internet.

Ben

It's karma for subscribing to AOL.

On a more helpful note, when my connection played up at my old place it was because whoever had installed the phone line hadn't done the wiring very well. It'll cost to fix that though (if that's the problem of course).

Ok check some things:-

Plug an Ethernet cable into your router and connect to the pc/ps3 so your not going wireless any more - this may be hard depending on where your kit is but its a test you must do to try and see if it is just the wireless signal. If all starts to work you know its down to the wireless. In this case log onto your router and just change the wireless signal number. It could be that something is on the same channel as you and causing the wireless interference.

Now, you could always borrow a mates router and stick it in your house and see if it makes any difference (and the other way round. Take your router with your account on and try it on a mates broadband line) These tests will rule things out too.

If the above doesn't make any difference then (and this will sound silly) reboot the router. If any remote line changes have taken place then it may cause you problems until the router goes down and comes back up to see them

Now after all this you should be able to goto your ISP with a little supporting history to either get them to check their end or force them to raise a fault with the phone line provider on your behalf (the phone line provider will probably turn up with their own kit and wont even look at yours by the way)

Looking to switch to a higher speed broadband. Seen an 8mbs offer but it comes with a 10gb download limit which is also called a usage allowance in another area. What does this mean? is it actually for downloading things or you can only browse the internet for so long then it will cut you off?

Looking to switch to a higher speed broadband. Seen an 8mbs offer but it comes with a 10gb download limit which is also called a usage allowance in another area. What does this mean? is it actually for downloading things or you can only browse the internet for so long then it will cut you off?

It means that you can download up to 10GB (probably a month) and then you will have to wait until the following month to download more - unless you pay for extra probably to keep you going. A normal user would never use this in a month unless you are constantly downloading things like music and films.

The 8MB broadband will be up to 8mb and not always get 8mb as well

It means that you can download up to 10GB (probably a month) and then you will have to wait until the following month to download more - unless you pay for extra probably to keep you going. A normal user would never use this in a month unless you are constantly downloading things like music and films.

The 8MB broadband will be up to 8mb and not always get 8mb as well

Ok, so its not a cap on the amount of time you spend online? and would online gaming through the ps3 be counted in this 10gig limit?

Ive done a phone line test and we are only able to recieve 3mb/s thats crap. What speed are you lot on out of interest?

Ok, so its not a cap on the amount of time you spend online? and would online gaming through the ps3 be counted in this 10gig limit?

Anything you do adds to your 10gig limit. As you used 'we' in the first post, I'm assuming you're sharing this connection with other people, in which case I'd stay clear of a capped connection because it would be almost impossible to 'police' everyone, and it can get expensive if you go over the limit.

Have a look at Be Broadband. £14 a month for unlimited usage, free wireless router and no 12 month contract (which was the main reason I went for it). Unfortunately you're going to be capped to 3mb/s with whoever you go with (I think I get about 5), unless you opt for Virgin Media, in which case you'd get 20mb/s.

Ive done a phone line test and we are only able to recieve 3mb/s thats crap. What speed are you lot on out of interest?

Le Chuck has answered the first one here. To the second question, I am on 2mb connection because thats the most I can get at the moment. 3mb will be fine for your gaming needs by the way.

Just done some more internet speed tests on both a wireless laptop and a pc that is plugged in via cable and both are saying the internet speed is around 0.3-0.5mp/s!!! Thats so rubbish, and is obviously more than the router playing up! Must be the phoneline or AOL! Its so crap that I cant play anything online on my ps3!

Just done some more internet speed tests on both a wireless laptop and a pc that is plugged in via cable and both are saying the internet speed is around 0.3-0.5mp/s!!! Thats so rubbish, and is obviously more than the router playing up! Must be the phoneline or AOL! Its so crap that I cant play anything online on my ps3!

You need to phone your ISP then and tell them about it.

Playing games online will eat up your monthly download allocation in no time at all. Also upgrading to 8mb isn't going to make a difference if all you ever get is 0.5mb.

I'm on 8mb broadband, but I know full well that I'll never get anywhere near it, the fastest I get is about 1.5mb.

As has been suggested put an ethernet cable from the router to your computer and then see what the speed test results are, that will narrow down the issue.

Not sure if it's already been said but you also need to rule out the internal wiring (extensions etc). So take the faceplate off the master BT socket (you are allowed to do this) and plug your ADSL filter and then router directly into there.

If you still get rubbish stats then it is either the phone line coming into the house (BT's responsibility) or the ISP is at fault.

If everything runs ok off the master socket then it is poorly cabled internal wiring which is your responsibility.

Archived