BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Electricians Advice Needed!

I went to the opening of the Screwfix trade counter Friday last and got myself a load of shiny sockets to replace the old naff white (yellowing) ones in the kitchen. I have installed the plug sockets, the fused switches and the light switch with no problem, but the 45A Cooker and DP Switch has stumped me. The cooker worked fine, as did the neon light to say it was getting power, but the socket part didn't. It neither powered anything I plugged in, or lit up the neon.

As far as I can see it was wired exactly as the old one was, but it does say Double Pole on it wheras the old one didn't. Having said that, so did all the two gang sockets I fitted and they are fine.

Have I done something wrong or is it likely it is faulty?

I went to the opening of the Screwfix trade counter Friday last and got myself a load of shiny sockets to replace the old naff white (yellowing) ones in the kitchen. I have installed the plug sockets, the fused switches and the light switch with no problem, but the 45A Cooker and DP Switch has stumped me. The cooker worked fine, as did the neon light to say it was getting power, but the socket part didn't. It neither powered anything I plugged in, or lit up the neon.

As far as I can see it was wired exactly as the old one was, but it does say Double Pole on it wheras the old one didn't. Having said that, so did all the two gang sockets I fitted and they are fine.

You have probably invalidated your house insurance by carrying out the work yourself, re new regulation that came into force last year!

You have probably invalidated your house insurance by carrying out the work yourself, re new regulation that came into force last year!

Surely not entirely true (although these things get confusing). The original regulations came into force in 2005 and I think they were updated in 2006 (not last year as far as I could see). You only need certified electricians or self certification if you are adding new circuits, making major changes or are changing the MCU.

Things like sockets are covered by

"Q5: What types of electrical work are 'non-notifiable'?

The following types of work are non-notifiable:

Replacing accessories such as socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses"

Although it can get hazy around the fact the work was done in the kitchen.

P.S. No idea why your socket isn't working!

Which cable size did you use?

I couldn't give you an exact answer, other than the cables are very chunky. The house was built three years ago, and I am only changing the socket, not any of the cabling. I have wired up the new socket correctly and checked it against the instructions, the old socket (which works) and my dad!

Both the sockets say double pole, 240 AC only. I am thinking it must be a fault with the socket... This is the way it was originally wired.

IMG_4053.jpg

And how I did it. It's a bit blurry but the one nearest is labelled 'MAINS', the bottom, 'COOKER' - so both sockets are wired opposite.

IMG_4056.jpg

You have a cooker switch and a 13 amp socket - right? So the cooker neon should only light when you switch on the cooker - right?

If yes and yes, then try swapping the red and black wires, with the brown and blue.

The brown and blue wires will be the mains, the red and black will be the cooker.

Your bottom photo looks like it's connected correctly, but doesn't explain why the neon is lit all the time.

That looks like 6mm cable there. Thats fine.

A double pole switch breaks both the live and the neutral instead of just the live. Thats fine.

Looking at the pic, the mains feed is from brown and blue.

The cooker cable ( load ) is red and black.

Looking how you have done it, I see no problem.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that you have the mains cable and load cable muddled up and are therefore causing the neon to be on all the time which is wrong. The cooker switch would still work but the feed to the socket internally would not be connected.

Its the only thing that makes sense.

You can try swopping the red and brown over ASWELL AS the blue and black AT THE SAME TIME. NOT ONE, GIVE IT GO THEN THE OTHER.SWOP THEM AT THE SAME TIME.

or, slide your cooker out, see what colour cables are going to it and make sure the same cable is conected to the switch where it is marked " cooker "

Let us know how it goes.

to clarify.

put the brown where the red is.

put the red where the brown is.

put the blue where the black is.

put the black where the blue is.

ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

REMEMBER TO ISOLATE THE CIRCUIT 1ST

Archived