BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Can We Finish 5th ? (or 4th)

5th is the only guarenteed Uefa cup qualification place.

6th will qualify is the FA Cup final is Man Utd vs Chelsea.

Therefore either 6th or 7th will qualify for the Intertoto Cup.

What if Everton win the UEFA Cup?

Nice work again Dillo, wouldn't be the 'run-in' without this graphic.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's 4 uefa spots aren't there?

1 league (5th)

2 cups (spurs + FA Cup Winner)

1 intertoto

More than likely Everton will finish in CL or Uefa spot. So if they or Spurs won it then wouldn't they automatically qualify as winners and therefore make an extra league spot available? or does that not take place anymore.

6th would get a european place if the FA cup was one by Chelsea or Man Yoo.

Then failing all that we have to finish ahead of Pompey and Man Citeh to get into the Final Intertoto Cup.

Realistically we will get at least 10 points from the last 10 games. Can't see us getting 20 more points. At the very best we could get 6th. More likely 7th though. 4th and 5th will be Liverpool and Everton. My predictions for what it's worth:

Fulham - W

West Ham - L

Wigan - W

Reading - D

Spurs - D

Liverpool - L

Manu - L

Pompey - D

Derby - W

Birmingham - D

13 points.

Tottenham winning UEFA would work as well.

No extra places unless Bolton win the UEFA Cup is my understanding.

Can anyone definitively clarify the potential impact of the UEFA Cup winners on the League? We seem to have this every year, and I never seem to leave the discussion any wiser.

As far as i am aware, the Uefa Cup winners don't get automatic right to be in the competition anymore. I may be wrong would happily be corrected.

Hi all,

on terms of GD it is not great but until it is mathematically impossible we should believe we can get there well all we can do is take care of our games and then hope others drop points but there is still a chance for 4th as for what tchocky predicts:

Fulham - W

West Ham - L

Wigan - W

Reading - D

Spurs - D

Liverpool - L

Manu - L

Pompey - D

Derby - W

Birmingham - D

13 points

my predictions would be:

Fulham - W

West Ham - D

Wigan - W

Reading - W

Spurs - W

Liverpool - L

Manu - L

Pompey - D

Derby - W

Birmingham - W

20 points

at times I wonder where people get there predictions draws against reading and spurs not likely we have much better squads than both of them the hammers will be tough but I think we can get something out from there L'pool and ManU have to say I can't see anything other than a loss will probably draw with pompey but come on brum last game away Draw the so-called big clubwe have much better players than them and is imperative we do not lose to them lot if we hit these targets then CL is very possible

laters all.

at times I wonder where people get there predictions draws against reading and spurs not likely we have much better squads than both of them

Reading yes, but Spurs?

They have a far better squad than we do. there might not be a lot between the two first teams but our squad is a mile behind theirs. Not too long ago, they were flirting around the relegation zone, they are now in 11th place and I think that if they had not won the league cup they would have got very close to catching up with us (I expect they will lose a bit of focus now).

Yeah it was on skysports news during last week. UEFA cup winners doesnt affect the league placings for UEFA, if an English team wins it then it doesnt mean the league gets an extra place if Everton finish 4th/ 5th.

The only way of an extra place is United v Chelsea FA Cup final.

I did the predictor thing yesterday and we came 6th, ahead of Villa by 2 pts. Hope that comes true!

Can anyone definitively clarify the potential impact of the UEFA Cup winners on the League? We seem to have this every year, and I never seem to leave the discussion any wiser.

That's not even a bad run of results you're predicting for us there Dillo. But we badly need to finish 6th, as we will probably need it just for Intertoto.

Does anybody know who has applied for it?

:unsure:

my predictions would be:

Fulham - W

West Ham - D

Wigan - W

Reading - W

Spurs - W

Liverpool - L

Manu - L

Pompey - D

Derby - W

Birmingham - W

20 points

at times I wonder where people get there predictions draws against reading and spurs not likely we have much better squads than both of them the hammers will be tough but I think we can get something out from there L'pool and ManU have to say I can't see anything other than a loss will probably draw with pompey but come on brum last game away Draw the so-called big clubwe have much better players than them and is imperative we do not lose to them lot if we hit these targets then CL is very possible

laters all.

What have you got against full stops? All teams drop points against teams that are clearly inferior to them, thats what makes fooball interesting. Just look at the Brum humping of Spurs, or Man Utd's loss at home to Man City. It will happen to us over these games at least once. Derby, Brom, Reading, Spurs are all bananna skins.

The one saving grace is we do have a great record of beating Man Utd and doing well against Liverpool.

To answer my own question, Everton, City and Villa have applied for the Intertoto. Liverpool and Portsmouth haven't.

We'll need to finish above Pompey to get it anyway, and Liverpool are unlikely to fall that far. No qualifying for it by finishing tenth this time!

Excellent work Dillo, i think your predications look accurate as well

A bit optimistic for me. Looks like 7th is the favourite. 5th would be a massive achievement.

If only we hadn't had that terrible Christmas run... It all be so different if Nelsen had recovered properly from his injury.

it is strange to say that having nelsen out the team has tightened things up.. but it has. Shame his injury wasn't picked up earlier

It wasn't an injury that forced him out directly. It was painfully apparent that since coming back from a Hamstring injury in the summer he had lost two yards of pace. He was withdrawn to try and rediscover that pace, and the physio's are looking at the root cause.

It is clearly one of Hughes few mistakes to have played Nelsen despite this being an obvious problem. Certainly resulted in our defence being very shaky.

he was an utter liability in statistical terms

I agree with you, but it wasn't a case of him suddenly becoming rubbish, he was rushed back from injury. I just hope it isn't a permanent impairment.

Interestingly Physio Room has him listed as being available for our next match. But currently all three of our other centrbacks are playing well, but then he is our club captain.

Big decisions for Sparky. Could be that Physio Room is wrong though.

I agree with you, but it wasn't a case of him suddenly becoming rubbish, he was rushed back from injury. I just hope it isn't a permanent impairment.

Interestingly Physio Room has him listed as being available for our next match. But currently all three of our other centrbacks are playing well, but then he is our club captain.

Big decisions for Sparky. Could be that Physio Room is wrong though.

Even if he is available for selection again I would want to see him playing a couple of either reserve or arranged games in order to PROVE his return to full fitness and pace. If he can't do that as yet, then leave him out until he can. We simply cannot afford to drop any more points, or lose any more goals simply through playing an unfit player; however revered he may have been in the past.

Just to confuse things further, the nightmare scenario would be that we finished 4th and Liverpool won the Champions League. They would then take our Champions League spot and we'd be dumped into the UEFA Cup (although I suspect that's a bigger fear for Everton fans right now than for us).

Archived