BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Can We Finish 5th ? (or 4th)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surely the precedent was set last time that the 4th placed team would still get in and Liverpool would go through a qualifying round like they did against TNS?

I believe that was a one off and Uefa have clamped down a bit firmer now, we have four places and thats it.

That only happed last time because the Premier League were too soft to make a decision, IMO Uefa should have just given them a deadline to name their qualifiers and if they were still only three names on the list - tough you only get three places.

Did the predictor, which had us finishing in 6th ahead of Man C marginally on goal difference. Likewise, Bolton survive on goal difference to the cost of Reading. Fulham take 19th. Arsenal win the league with Chelsea in second. Man U and Everton take the other CL places, while Liverpool are 5th.

I am also amazingly crap at predicting scores so none of this will happen and is as such irellevant.

For VILLA With Pompey, United, Everton & West Ham away and Boro, Birmingham at home. I can see some potential slip ups there. Villa have been very lucky with injuries this season with there paper thin squad, lately they have just lost Davies however and I think the cracks may start to appear and see them slip down abit.

Everton also have a tough run towards the last 6 games too with Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Villa and Newcastle (Potential relegation battle on the last day) to contend with and I think they will also fade and wont finish 4th!

Everton will run Liverpool close i say, but looks like Liverpool are just starting to come into form again so i think they will take it.

As for us? 4th & 5th are a pipe dream this season, just a bit to much to do im thinking.

If we can get over Villa in that 6th spot though i would be more than happy, and as Hughsey says they have some real tough games coming up so its a definate possibility, and that would at least gaurentee us the Intertoto.

And if Utd-Chelsea ends up being the FA Cup final then it would be good enough to secure UEFA Cup action.

I hate to say it, but probably not. We've already achieved much more than we could have hoped for...but i'm afraid with our recourses 6th would be the maximum this season.

Everton and Pool win too many games, unless they majorly slip up I don't see them giving 4th and 5th to anyone.

But all the motivation to keep going 'till the end.. :rover:

I haven't the energy to go back through the posts but whoever said we haven't played well for a while is right. Gutted, yet again, buy a dismal performance. Granted the performance wasn't the only dismal thing about today but a bit more effort and this game would have been a walk over.

Everton are almost out of sight now - out of our reach unless we are very lucky, Villa still ahead of us both with games in hand and Man City and Portsmouth breathing down our necks.

Not happy at all. :angry:

I haven't the energy to go back through the posts but whoever said we haven't played well for a while is right. Gutted, yet again, buy a dismal performance. Granted the performance wasn't the only dismal thing about today but a bit more effort and this game would have been a walk over.

Everton are almost out of sight now - out of our reach unless we are very lucky, Villa still ahead of us both with games in hand and Man City and Portsmouth breathing down our necks.

Not happy at all. :angry:

link

And I got slated for my comments

Gosh I can't remember that far back Alan! Someone said it earlier today I think!

Still you were right then. Keep hoping that the fire will be resurrected but in vain. Roberts and Derbs were a breath of fresh air when they came on, with a bit of urgency, sadly too late though.

It's not the way to get Europe, and it's not the way to encourage supporters to rush to renew their season tickets ready for next season.

It won't stop me supporting Rovers, but how I long for a bit of passion and urgency.

6th place and Inter toto is the best we can hope for, and that means beating Villa to it. City are fading so dont worry about them, hopefully Pompey will be abit more pre-occupied with the Cup now and again have faded abit lately.

To a certain extent Pompey are irrelevant now.

Putting the emotion of this year's Cup competition to one side they certainly have more than enough fire power to close out a win of the Cup and should take that UEFA place.

Hopefully we can get a result at Fratton whilst Pompey retain enough interest in the league to damage others around them and us starting with the visit of Villa to Fratton on Saturday- they also have to visit City.

In my book it is a three way fight between Villa, Rovers and City for 6th place (or 7th behind Pompey) and an Intertoto slot. Anything more that that would be a hugely unexpected bonus.

Archived