BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Improbable Soccer

So while I don't think this is a violation of the forum's TOS, please forgive me mods if I've overstepped.

I am the author of www.improbablesoccer.com. It’s a blog about the obscure side of football, smaller nations, teams, etc., but it does show my bias towards Rovers and heaps abuse upon Bolton. I’m also working on a Where Are They Now page for former Rovers. Columns in progress also include a preview of Saturday’s Muratti Vase Semi-Final, a tour around the small teams of UEFA, and a survey of weird football crests. And hey, I’ve even managed to work a reference to Lorenzo Amaruso in there.

Most importantly, though, I value your opinions and before I start trying to publicize this more, I would like to get feedback on whether I’m trying too hard, my humor’s too forced, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Looks interesting. Have bookmarked it to look at later as am off to a performance of "We Will Rock You" by one of the local amateur dramatic associations.

Should be an interesting evening.

Twas a decent read yeah.

Couple of issues though -

They are the only nation to have both a domestic league AND field a team in another country’s league system (San Marino Calcio in Serie C1).
Surely Wrexham and Cardiff City qualify - and I'm sure there are others around the globe.

Any league that rescues the second worst signing in Blackburn history (the first being, of course, Graeme Souness) has a place in my heart.

Amoruso was very disappointing but nowhere near the second worst signing in our history - as for Souness......WHHHHHHHAT?!?

Anyway, it was generally quite entertaining but I would proof read it for spelling errors, and I personally would drop the hints of being a Rovers supporter. I think people will listen to your views more if they not too sure who you actually support.

New Zealand has its own league and also has a club in the A-League called Wellington Phoenix.

I had forgotten about Wales... I so often do. ;)

Well I'll have to amend that bit then. This is why I come to my fellow Rovers supporters before I actually try to go public. To help me not expose my ignorance to people who actually matter. ...wait, that came out wrong.

Anyway, thank you all for your advice and criticism. I really really do appreciate it.

I know it's the same island, but Derry City from Northern Ireland, play in the Eircom league in the Rep Ireland and not in the League of Ireland in N Ireland.

....your point is being shot to pieces :lol:

...yeah, maybe I should reconsider this "I actually know something about football" bit. It's not working out for me thus far!

:wstu:

and I personally would drop the hints of being a Rovers supporter. I think people will listen to your views more if they not too sure who you actually support.

That's a very good point, I think you'd narrow your audience to Rovers fans if it's obvious who you support.

That's a very good point, I think you'd narrow your audience to Rovers fans if it's obvious who you support.

I dunno - while there is a layer of objectivity I lose I'm trying to come across as a fan I don't want to give the impression that I'm just an intellectual dilettante.

I'm proud to be a Rovers supporters (whether you others are proud of me is another story), and I want to show it. This is a blog, after all, not the Times...

I swear this is the last I'll mention of this on here, BUT, for the first time in history, I've managed to scoop the BBC (albeit on something I don't think they care about in the slightest). Improbable Soccer is proud to announce we have actually obtained the travelling squad for Jersey before anyone else.

...and oddly enough, Le Saux's not on it. I'd have thought he'd have kept his hand in, but apparently not.

And with that, I swear, I'll go back into lurking. The amusement of having discovered a UK footballing story BEFORE the BBC was too good to pass up.

And for the rest of you, I am working on the typos and blatant falsehoods. ;)

Archived