BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wireless Laptop Help

I have purchased broadband for my laptop and I have receieved my wireless router in the post.

Now iv to try and connect it to my Laptop. I have the Toshiba Equium A200 196 and I was told it is wireless.

So come on tech guys what do i do, help? Is there a button to turn on my wireless on the laptop or is there some sort of short key? I have searched the net for help but im struggling. Will my laptop have a wireless connection adapter built in?

I managed to find an area on my laptop called network connections or something and in there was a local connection (not connected) and a Athers AR5006eg wireless network adapter?!! What does that mean? Does that mean its built in and it should just allow me to search for networks??

If the laptop is wireless I would expect you to have the wireless icon in the bottom right corner of your screen - it looks a bit like a radio mast. If you point at it should tell you if the wireless is on or not. If it's switched off, switch it on.

I don't know about connecting the router but mine (from BT0 has a wirless button to make the connection. If you are with BT just ring the tech guys and they will do it over the phone for you in about ten minutes or less.

I assume it is an old model as that number doesn't appear on the Equium A200 series page on Toshiba's website. Of the three models that are on that webpage, only one of them mentions that it has wireless.

In the meantime, go to Start -> Connect To -> Wireless Network Connection and see if 1) There are any wireless networks available to you, and 2) if you can actually connect to them.

I'd always advise using an ethernet cable to setup everything in the first instance and then try it wireless afterwards.

No it’s quite new – about 10 months old now maybe.

They brought about 20 versions of the A200 out, but for some reason only 3 are on their website.

Why do you say to connect via the Ethernet cable 1st? Just to establish the connection and then search for it wirelessly? Iv signed up to 02 broadband.

On my girlfriend's Toshiba there is a little button on the front of it that you press to enable wireless. Failing that you will probably have to use the function keys on the keyboard (fn + a key with a wireless signal picture on it, probably around the numbers at the top). Wireless seems to be off by default, so unless you turn it physically I don't think it will work.

You can also try updating the driver. Assuming the wireless card you put in the first post is correct, then this should be the newest driver (the one at the top of the page). I had terrible problems getting the aforementioned Toshiba's wireless to work after I formatted it, Toshiba seem to use really crappy cards and offer little support. I don't think I'd ever buy a Toshiba based on that experience, and now yours.

All up and running now. Set up my ps3 too - anyone fancies a game on FIFA 08 then you will find me usually after 8pm at night as BlueBlood84.

Anyone on here know anything about downloading movies etc? Iv downloaded utorrent and iv downloaded a movie off mininova - however now it has saved several seperate files in winrar - now what do i have to do with it??

I know using someones wireless without there pemission is illegal but i've heard that if they havent got any security on then it's okay? Anyone on here know more on this?

Technically (and morally) it's not ok, but I think if they are stupid enough to leave it open, then serves them right!

Archived