BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gretna

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad really, but the club has risen on the back of one man and has fallen on his illness.

Has anyone had a look on a map and seen the size of Gretna? - it's a village. It's like Clitheroe FC getting into the premiership.

The story will make a good book one day.

I feel sorry for the supporters of Gretna, but they must now realise that the dream has finished.

It's a bit like us with Uncle Jack, but times 10.

I'm not being funny or anything but its a bit ###### of the owner just to suddenly stop paying money in. Presumably he knew it would cost a fortune to keep a club like that running - even an idiot can see it's not financially viable to sustain a club that has attendances in excess of the towns population.

I'm not being funny or anything but its a bit ###### of the owner just to suddenly stop paying money in. Presumably he knew it would cost a fortune to keep a club like that running - even an idiot can see it's not financially viable to sustain a club that has attendances in excess of the towns population.

The owner now has an incurable brain illness. The tragedy is he is literally incapable of making decisions and signing cheques.

The owner now has an incurable brain illness. The tragedy is he is literally incapable of making decisions and signing cheques.

Wonder if it is worth Rovers taking them over as a reserve team, playing serious matches every week rather than the awful league they are in just now. You could lend all of the young players for half-a-season or a whole season and disband the ressies. The players train at Blackburn but are bussed up an hour or so for the matches. It would make it more like the real world than the reserves and/or youth team circuit.

I don't think it would cost anything - as Myleson has nothing to sell and his family may just want rid - and Rovers are paying the players already.

Could be the ideal feeder club...and it's not that much further for fans to travel from down here if they want to see the stars of the future - obviously when fixtures don't clash.

Nice idea but they play in Motherwell... for now.

Not after this season...you would not have to be promoted...just stay in the First Division. It's not about results, its development of players.

Put in your young uns, give them their own coach, even wear the Rovers colours [or second strip], you could rename the ground or even the team.

This is a fire sale - you pay the money, you make the rules.

It's a no-brainer.

Not after this season...you would not have to be promoted...just stay in the First Division. It's not about results, its development of players.

Put in your young uns, give them their own coach, even wear the Rovers colours [or second strip], you could rename the ground or even the team.

This is a fire sale - you pay the money, you make the rules.

It's a no-brainer.

Its a good idea but i'd have thought what are the get out costs. If Rovers dont see fit to continue with it or it goes 'tits up' with Rovers in control what are the implications financially and how badly damaged would the image of Blackburn Rovers be.

Its a good idea but i'd have thought what are the get out costs. If Rovers dont see fit to continue with it or it goes 'tits up' with Rovers in control what are the implications financially and how badly damaged would the image of Blackburn Rovers be.

I'm thinking about this as we go along, so don't take it as gospel...but:

The only costs are those that the club is already spending on the players and their existing contracts, so that is nothing extra.

There would obviously be travel, etc, but that is minimal.

You would have to work out the sums of the day-to-day running of the extra ground, but that is about all it would be.

I think the worth of having maybe five or six players coming through from that, grown-up and match-hardened, is worthwhile.

Still, it's easy for me to say as it's not my money! ;)

It is an attractive idea. What are the rules about cross-border ownership now?

I noticed not a word was said when two clubs with the same owners played each other in the UEFA Cup round of 32 (Spurs v Slavia Prague).

There can't be a problem - and it would be easy to find a way round it.

There will never be a Rovers v Gretna clash in Europe.

And if there was an issue over ownership, then Rovers would just have to find someone to run it for them - but pay the bills.

Also, the new sponsors could have their name in the shirts for free. Their games will be covered on TV at times.

Bear in mind this is a club that still has league status - only just - and anyone who helped out would be seen, quite rightly, as a hero.

Just trying to get my head round what is actually going on here and what is being suggested.

Gretna are presently an SPL team but headed for certain relegation to the Scottish FL div 1. Yes?

Is it now being proposed that Blackburn Rovers buy the club (or what remains of it) and pay the Gretna players (who would then become Rovers players) to function as the Blackburn Rovers Reseve team but play all their matches in the Scottish FL div1? Is this allowed? Is it a wise move for Rovers? I cant see it happening and I can see no benefit to Rovers if it did. But maybe I have misunderstood the situation? Anyone care to explain?

Just trying to get my head round what is actually going on here and what is being suggested.

Gretna are presently an SPL team but headed for certain relegation to the Scottish FL div 1. Yes?

Is it now being proposed that Blackburn Rovers buy the club (or what remains of it) and pay the Gretna players (who would then become Rovers players) to function as the Blackburn Rovers Reseve team but play all their matches in the Scottish FL div1? Is this allowed? Is it a wise move for Rovers? I cant see it happening and I can see no benefit to Rovers if it did. But maybe I have misunderstood the situation? Anyone care to explain?

I think Nicko is suggesting we get rid of all the Gretna players and insert our reserves (academy) team in their place - though whether they'd be 'free transfers' (obviously we'd get them back for free too) or loans I don't know, as I'm unsure of the rules. That way, rather than playing a meaningless 'friendly' against players coming back from injury, journeymen or similarily inexperienced players they get thrown into a competitive situation and learn on the job. A sink or swim type scenario, which will sort the wheat from the chaff.

It's an interesting idea, but not one I'd follow through on - mainly due to our financial situation.

By the time the dust settles Gretna will have lost all of their players - and those who remain will probably be out of contract in the summer. So you are not inheriting any players.

Therefore it's a clean sheet in terms of players.

I don't think there is any debt to speak of once you come out of administration...it's a matter of doing a deal with the owner or his family and the administrators. That would be minimal.

What you would have is a Scottish First Division club for next to nothing and you could fill it with your own players and staff who are already being paid to play a few low-key reserve games.

It also increases the value of your players as well as 'making men of them.'

I don't have the figures to hand, but it must be worth considering. It certainly should not be expensive.

Brookes Myleson, the guy who funded the club, spent a lot on wages and picked up the bills. Obviously that has passed.

There will never be a Rovers v Gretna clash in Europe.

You can't claim that as true though, that's an opinion. Weren't Rovers and Gretna in the UEFA Cup at the same time a couple of years back? It's highly unlikely, I admit, but the possibility of it happening is still there.

It would also set a dangerous precedent for Scottish football, I'm not sure the other clubs in the league would be keen on it happening.

You can't claim that as true though, that's an opinion. Weren't Rovers and Gretna in the UEFA Cup at the same time a couple of years back? It's highly unlikely, I admit, but the possibility of it happening is still there.

It would also set a dangerous precedent for Scottish football, I'm not sure the other clubs in the league would be keen on it happening.

If you controlled both clubs I think you would be entitled to make sure that doesn't happen. Nobody ever moans about Real Madrid having a ressie side or many German teams too.

As for Scottish football., what moral high ground can they take when one of their 12 'elite' sides is going bust?

It could work - for an English club's benefit.

Who wins? The fans, who still have a team to watch. The buyers, who have a cheap outfit to use as they see fit. The players, who have good games. The sponsors, who could have two lots of shirt advertising.

Who loses?

If you controlled both clubs I think you would be entitled to make sure that doesn't happen.

How though? The only way I can think of is by ensuring Gretna don't qualify for Europe, but isn't that pretty much the same as deliberately throwing a game? It's not beyond the realms of possibility that a Rovers reserve side could reach a Scottish Cup final.

How though? The only way I can think of is by ensuring Gretna don't qualify for Europe, but isn't that pretty much the same as deliberately throwing a game? It's not beyond the realms of possibility that a Rovers reserve side could reach a Scottish Cup final.

I think we're getting a wee bit too philosophical here...on both sides.

It's been mentioned as a possible conflict before with other clubs, but in reality there has never been a problem.

The chance to have a workable 'feeder club' close to your doorstep and in a decent league rather than having some far-away foreign ally would outweigh the long-shot possibilities of facing the ressies in Europe. You could say the same of Cercle Brugge in Belgium or Man U facing Royal Antwerp. Yes, it COULD happen, but in the meantime it is all right as a concept.

In the here and now there is a possibility of a deal.

or as I pointed out already on this thread, two ENIC affiliates played each other in the round of 32 in the UEFA Cup this season without so much of hiss of wind from UEFA.

However, lets be real, the reaction of the SFA to Rovers doing this would make you think the RAF had bombed Holyrood.

Archived