BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Race To The Premiership

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an interesting/disturbing one if you have a soft spot for Blackpool.

In 1977 under 2 points for a win, Rovers came 5th in the second division with the princely sum of 45 points from 42 games. Blackpool who had not been in any difficulty all season found themselves third from bottom (first time in a relegation slot all season) on the last day with 37 points from 42 games setting a record high relegation points total which was unbeaten in some 160 competitions of 22 team leagues playing for 2 points for a win in various levels of the football league.

They never came back until this season.

Barnsley are leading at Watford (or they were when I started typing this) dumping Leicester with 47 points into third from bottom. And who have been serenely progressing all season without a hint of trouble currently sitting on 50 points?

Whoever comes 22nd in the Coca Cola bottle is now almost certainly going to set an unwanted new high for the number of points gathered under 3 points for a win in a 24 member league.

Step forwards (or rather backwards and down)... Blackpool.

The fizzy pop league promotion spots are all over the place. No one seems to be able to string a decent run together and I just noticed Palace, where the hell did they sneak in from. Good luck to em. Would be nice to have Colin back in the Prem. Should be a hell of an interesting finish even the McDingles are in with a shout at the playoffs still.

With the exception of perhaps WBA (if they make it) all three clubs who are promoted will more than likely do a 'Derby.' West Brom have a bit more about them but would imo still be relegated.

The word 'mediocre' is still not enough to describe that division.At a long shot,barring a truly disastrous on field season at Ewood(crosses himself) I think we will be a permanent fixture in the top flight for many a season to come.

The quality of these promoted teams is non-existent....cannon fodder!

I think we will be a permanent fixture in the top flight for many a season to come.

Don`t count your chickens mate! :unsure:

If fergie wins the league & champions league, he may well say "my job is done" & hand the reigns over to somebody like Hughes. The only difference between teams like Bolton & Rovers is we`ve kept hold of our good manager for longer than them. It won`t last forever. Hughes eventually will move on & with it his eye for a bargain player.

I don`t want to be doom-mongering, but there`s a hell of a lot of new BIG money in the prem these days......& it`s not ours.

I dont think that Mark Hughes is the cast iron favourite for Fergies job, not only is there the likes of Keane and Bruce coming through, there is also Moyes at Everton who should also be considered a front runner.

Add that to Quieroz (Sp) as well as established European managers and I think we have a very good chance of keeping Hughes for some considerable time.

Agree with that, as I don't think Man U would go for Hughes, as they'll probably go for another big name manager with Euro experience - Mourinho etc?

Hughes would be more likely to end up at the Barcodes or the Blue bin-dippers if Moyes was to leave than leave Ewood for Old Trafford.

Stoke back on top following a 2-1 away win, WBA currently losing.

Hull drew, Charlton dew, Bristol C drew,Palace won again, Wolves drew whilst Sheff Utd beat the scum of Burnley at the turd.

Looks like that gap is widening Alan, Burnleys efforts all to waste despite Andy Cole scoring for them whilst its always nice to see PNE losing to a lowly team, this time Barnsley 2-1 at home.

:rolleyes:

I went to Hull Vs QPR today... terrible match with awful officials (almost as bad as THAT match for Rovers Vs West Ham!)

There was the "Jim Devine" holding one flag giving a goal that didn't go in! ...I was at the other end of the stadium and could see it DID NOT go in!

there was the other linesman who needed half a stadium to shout "offside!" before he stopped watching TV, daydreaming e.t.c. (whatever he was doing) and paying attention to realise it was even at "his end".

then the ref was just completely inconsistent and waved away a Fraizer Campbell, blatant penalty, which not only was his heels clipped, he was also obstructed at the same time... yet got nothing.

& I don't think he knew he had "yellow cards"... gave no player protection.

If thats what money gets you at QPR, they wont be in the Prem anytime soon.... awful football! I'd hate to be one of their supporters, having to watch that!

Hull just got dragged in to playing their game and are better when they actually play to feet, but QPR kept it in the air were they knew they could deal with it.

I dont think that Mark Hughes is the cast iron favourite for Fergies job, not only is there the likes of Keane and Bruce coming through, there is also Moyes at Everton who should also be considered a front runner.

Add that to Quieroz (Sp) as well as established European managers and I think we have a very good chance of keeping Hughes for some considerable time.

I don't think Hughes will be anywhere near the list of managers to succeed Fergie.

Being able to 'spot a bargain' will be very low down the priorities for one of the richest clubs in the world, and to be honest he hasn't shown that he excels (or even is better than average) in other departments.

Hull City Vs Barnsley was a good game... bit scrappy in the first 20mins... but once Hull got the pen and put it away, the team played the footie that they've played recently and beat S'hampton 5-0 & Watford 3-0 with.

I think if it'd have been dry, Campbell & Folan would have put one away each too.

As for Sky's punditry....

PLEASE Sky.... get Don Goodman doing all your shows!

(Don't worry Den, I won't repeat the naughty words I said about Jamie Redknapp in the Liverpool match thread)

But seriously... "Stevie G! I love you" *mwah*mwah*mwah* I'd leave Louise for you!"

He's a rubbish pundit and soo biased! Sky & MOTD have waaaay too many rubbish pundits on TV...

Well done Don Goodman! great, refreshing, un-biased punditry tonight... was good to see AND to listen to.

Looks like Stoke and West Brom now. Stoke have too straightforwards games left and could well go up as Champs as the Baggies have Southampton home and QPR away.

Wolves should pip Palace for the last play-off place if they don't blow it in typical Wolves-style.

The dingles have really stuck Southampton in the mire with that win at St Mary's and they remain my tip for the third relegation slot. Blackpool have pretty well saved themselves thankfully.

I'm hoping Stoke slip up at Colchester (even though they're relegated, it's their last EVER game at Layer Road). If they do, and Hull win, it'd make an exciting final day of the season.

The main reason Hull slipped up against Sheff Utd, was because of not having any cover at centre-back. Ended up having to play a central midfielder, who's been out on loan at Oldham half the season, at centre-back...

against the form team in the league, with one of the strikers being as in-form as James Beattie... it always had "disaster" written all over it.

Having a ref from Stoke didn't help either. Well played FA!

Archived