BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Johann Vogel

i really think this is a top coup for rovers imo, age isn't on vogel's side but he is no means past it and will be a great asset to us.

when he played for psv, he was probably playing the best football of his career and made ac milan take notice. obviously it's all gone a bit pear shaped from there but hopefully he still has the hunger to show what he is about. he can win possession off the opponents and pass the ball well, something we have been missing in all honesty. he will also allow more players to break forward in attacks as they know he's got them covered or as i say, an insurance policy.

and finally, it it just another coincidence that MH has signed another international captain?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very pleased with this signing (although maybe two months late!).

Must be a good player considering the clubs he has been at, plus he can't be past it at just 31 considering the role he plays in.

This guy sweats experience, he's got 90+ caps for the Swiss, captained his country, played for some of the biggest clubs in European football and he plays in the middle of the park with the ability to tackle, pass and retain possession. All things which we have lacked in the last few months. We need to remember that he has only just turned 31 as well so it's not like he's past it either. Infact, it's probably a good thing that he isn't too young because he adds experience and knowledge on and off the pitch which fits in with the rest of our squad.

Hughes has built a team who fight for that win, they demand wins in each game they play. Vogel fits in with this mentality and that will help him settle quickly and the fact that he speaks multiple languages means he can slot straight in the dressing room and communicate with the entire team as well as having a couple of Swiss buddies in there with him.

We don't even need to see him play to know that this is a superb signing.

Free transfer? Hughes has only gone and done it again.

While I agree that the Rovers probably have made a shrewd business move here, I'm just going to play devils advocate. Rovers had to have thought he still had prem quality football left in him, but the length of the contract could have been pushed by Vogel and his agent to make sure he was getting a check for at least another two seasons and to avoid another Betis situation. Maybe we tried to offer him something less committed.

That same thought had occurred to me, but then I thought 'Surely MH is not going to allow the club to be tied for 2.5 yrs to a player who has not at least shown that he has a better than average chance of making the grade, and therefore a justifiable risk'.

In all seriousness how good was Vogel in his peak... He's a player whos' name has always rung a bell but I've never seen him play... Can anyway give a fair comparision with a similar player at whatever level he was at?

(That DOES make sense!!) :P

I'd say Gilberto from Arsenal or Helguera from 3 or 4 years ago. He really was playing at a very high standard.

From what little I've heard and read, the best comparison I can think of for Vogel is Paul Okon. I know, I know! Not the most flattering of comparisons. But what I mean is someone who might pejoratively be called a 'water-carrier' but who makes up for what he lacks in flashiness with reams of efficiency/effectiveness and sound technical ability. A real team player.

okay Aussie fans, you can put me in my place now...

In his day he was a fantastic player and still one of the best midfield passers (at the top of his game) I have seen, unlucky at Leeds but commanded a regular midfield spot in a champion Lazio team. Like Kewell and Viduka injuries probably buggered him more then form.

I must say, Hughes' readiness to award longer contracts has concerned me in the past...eg. Mokoena, Berner, Enckelman, Henchoz

But Vogel's pedigree makes it less of a concern, imo. If he doesn't fit in, he will not hang around leeching the club - some lesser continental club will snap him up in a flash.

If we gave him a 6 month or 1 year deal, did well and then left for free you'd be the first to be moaning about it.

I am pretty sure if we had offered a 6 month or 1 year deal he would just not sign. He isn't stupid. Lots of clubs would take him on in the Premiership, Championship or abroad.

If we gave him a 6 month or 1 year deal, did well and then left for free you'd be the first to be moaning about it.

If you used your brain and read my posts you would see my comment was a continuation of the ''He sweats experience'' gag.

Hughes on Vogel From Rovers official website.

"I've obviously known his abilities for quite some time," said Hughes. "I've seen him play and he's always struck me as a very accomplished football player.

"He's got great experience as well. He's played all over Europe and had good success at PSV Eindhoven in particular. He's got a winning mentality and that has been evident in the couple of weeks that he has been with us.

"Given his situation, I thought it was an opportunity too good to miss."

Sounds like Hughes is very happy with this signing. And that he may feature this season:

"The deal was more initially to do with squad planning for next year, but he's come in and even though he's missed something like six or seven months, he looks sharp and looks like he could be an option for us between now and the end of the season and that is why we have done the deal now.

"He hasn't had games, but once the clearance comes through and there's that opportunity to get him involved then we'll arrange games and make sure he's up to speed.

"He's a guy that sits in front of the back four and breaks things up. He sets attacks on the move and has good variation to his passing and has good energy in there as well.

"Like I've said, with the experience and the knowledge that he has, he is going to be a real asset to us."

Please remember to credit the site that the article is copied from. DEN.

m sure the deal will be based on performance related pay. It is a good deal - with experience like that and the likes of Milan obviously thought highly of him then he must surely improve our squad.

he can only be an improvement on the axe in terms of footballing ability

The description in the link from Philip makes him sound similar in circumstances to Roque Santa Cruz. Which, if he scrubs up like the Paraguayan has done for us, further adds weight to MH and his teams ability to find quality for nowt. Fingers x'ed.

Archived