• Reid
    • Pedersen
    • Roberts
    • Santa Cruz
    • Tugay

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once again Samba has made a fool of himself! Luckily we are still playing well and in the lead. In my opinion its a bloody good thing that Samba won't feature in the next game...

I cannot understand how the guys gone from odds-on favourite to being our player of the year, to a complete liability of late. He's not even showing his immense physical presence right now.

I just cannot see how the guys gone from odds on favourite to being our player of the year, to a complete liability of late. He's not even showing his immense physical presence right now.

I know, when he first signed he seemed a little shaky but soon started playing really well. I remember he was absolutley brilliant for a good couple of games. But since then he has been so poor that I'm not sure signing him for 400k was a good deal in the first place! Hopefully Nelsen will be back to his old self next season, because we for sure can't have Samba playing week in week out...

I can't believe people are blaming Samba for this, he barely raised his arms and Heskey went down like the fat sack of pies that he is. Defenders should have the benefit of the doubt in the penalty area, not the other way around.

There are more goals in this I feel so hang on.

i'm sorry. i just saw santa's goal, king's penalty, and then a roberts goal. can anyone confirm if the roberts goal stood? because i dont see anyone exclaiming joy here... and livescore.com shows 1-1...

I cannot understand how the guys gone from odds-on favourite to being our player of the year, to a complete liability of late. He's not even showing his immense physical presence right now.

I can't understand either. Perhaps its a case of being complacent or lack of communication between the defense without Nelsen being there. I've noticed Samba has looked more shaky playing with Zurab, than he does when he plays with the Admiral or Ooijer. I've also noticed for a while now he tries to do things flash, or over the top, like with clearances etc. Perhaps he needs to get back to the basics.

Perhaps the ban will do him some good.

They say class is permanent and form is temporary. Samba has shown he has the potential to be a great defender, he has all the atributes. He is very young for a CB, they don't usually reach their prime until there 30's.

I know, when he first signed he seemed a little shaky but soon started playing really well. I remember he was absolutley brilliant for a good couple of games. But since then he has been so poor that I'm not sure signing him for 400k was a good deal in the first place! Hopefully Nelsen will be back to his old self next season, because we for sure can't have Samba playing week in week out...

It wasn't entirely unexpected that he'd have a slump, he's come straight from not playing at the top level at all and after a while the opposition will start to see his weak points and try and capitalise. But as I said he's still young and has got the raw attributes to become a great defender, this summer will be crucial for him, if he can iron out the problems in his game we should still have high hopes for him.

i'm sorry. i just saw santa's goal, king's penalty, and then a roberts goal. can anyone confirm if the roberts goal stood? because i dont see anyone exclaiming joy here... and livescore.com shows 1-1...

don't worry, it's definitely 2-1.

It did stand yes, it's 2-1.

I can't believe people are blaming Samba for this, he barely raised his arms and Heskey went down like the fat sack of pies that he is. Defenders should have the benefit of the doubt in the penalty area, not the other way around.

There are more goals in this I feel so hang on.

Maybe, but as a defender, you know that if you're the last man and make any form of contact to bring down the player, especially in the box to a striker, you're liable to get a red card. Samba was stupid to even bring his hands up on the shoulder of Heskey like that.

Thanks Mr E and Tugs for confirming. :)

Looking at the Samba foul, he did not appear to be the last man. Zurab appeared at least level with play at that point... Brad got mighty close to the penalty too. Let's hope we manage to see this one out...

I believe the rule was changed a while back to "preventing a clear goalscoring opportunity" rather than having to be the last man. Usually when doing that you will be the last man as well, but not always.

If a foul and penalty was awarded in this situation then it would be correct to show the red card indeed, as happened. But I think the "foul" was very, very soft.

I'm not the one celebrating a serious knee injury to a player (Edman) who, as far as I know, has done nothing to hurt you, your family or even Rovers.

Don't take my venting literally. Now if it had of been Heskey, then I really would of meant it.

Thanks Mr E and Tugs for confirming. :)

Looking at the Samba foul, he did not appear to be the last man. Zurab appeared at least level with play at that point... Brad got mighty close to the penalty too. Let's hope we manage to see this one out...

No way Zurab was getting over there to prevent the breakaway opportunity and Friedel doesn't count in the last man calculation for whether it's a red cardable offense.

I quote from the laws of the game: "5. denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick"

I believe the rule was changed a while back to "preventing a clear goalscoring opportunity" rather than having to be the last man. Usually when doing that you will be the last man as well, but not always.

If a foul and penalty was awarded in this situation then it would be correct to show the red card indeed, as happened. But I think the "foul" was very, very soft.

It annoys when commentators say "last man"

They usually use it as a reason why players in the big 4 don't get sent off when preventing goal scoring opportunity's. Because they weren't the "last man"

Literally that is true, but 999 out of 1000 times, if you're not last man, you're not preventing an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

Archived