BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New England Captain!

It may come as a shock too many but i'd rather play Woodgate and Terry. I honestly believe Woodgate is a better player than Ferdinand.

IMO Terry is the most overated player in England, He drags our defence so deep, that we are stuck in our own half defending for most of the game. At Chelsea there game plan works sitting very deep, with England it doesn’t. Rio although a bit of a tool is a better footballer.

England captaincy is different matter though

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO Terry is the most overated player in England, He drags our defence so deep, that we are stuck in our own half defending for most of the game. At Chelsea there game plan works sitting very deep, with England it doesn’t. Rio although a bit of a tool is a better footballer.

England captaincy is different matter though

I picked Terry because he is more of an old fashioned CB, Rio on the otherhand is a footballing CB in that he can pass better, move forward and distribute the ball.

Not sure playing rio and woodgate would work as woodgate plays a similar style but i would argue is better at it than rio.

personally i think this is a bad choice. whilst he is a first choice starter for England, i believe that John Terry that should be England captain. We need a terry butcher/colin hendry player as captain, someone who wears their heart on their sleeve. He is also occasionally prone to error with united and feel he is very over-rated as a player just because he is quick and 'silky'.

Stevie G also deserves a mention although i think maybe not intervening with the whole mascherano situation probably did not help his cause

Do you honestly think that the Mascherano incident had anything to do with it? As if Capello gives a monkeys about that!

i think the key words here are 'probably' and 'maybe' here, from your captain you want someone who can lead and help control the players on the pitch. i didnt say it played a major role in deciding but it certainly didnt help. just imagine another ashley cole incident against france??

I don't think Ferdinand's a particularly good choice as captain but I'd dispute that he's not a good player for England. He is guilty of sometimes switching off but was very good in World Cup 2002 and 2006. Against top class, quick forwards I'd say Ferdinand is way better than Terry...

Can't say I have a clue who the captain should be, if Neville was fit I'd choose him. He's never let England down...

I understand there`s probably not a lot of good contenders for the captaincy, but i`d serously consider making Gareth Barry the captain. As a holding midfielder he`s impressed (mostly) since coming into the team. He seems solid, dependable & does the cart-horse work that enables the Gerrards & Rooney`s of this world to do their stuff.

Am i an idiot? :unsure:

I understand there`s probably not a lot of good contenders for the captaincy, but i`d serously consider making Gareth Barry the captain. As a holding midfielder he`s impressed (mostly) since coming into the team. He seems solid, dependable & does the cart-horse work that enables the Gerrards & Rooney`s of this world to do their stuff.

Am i an idiot? :unsure:

Is it April fools already?

Capello is simply trying out each of the likely candidates in the friendlies, to determine which player he feels would be the best man to be captain come the WC qualifiers in September. I personally don't care any more who is England captain, they are all a different breed of human now England footballers, your not gonna get a Bobby Moore figure again. Capello is interested in winning matches, and I would guess he couldn't care what his captain is like off the pitch as long as he does the job on the pitch.

And if Beckham starts tonight instead of Bentley, well that would be the earliest April Fool gag this year.

Capello is simply trying out each of the likely candidates in the friendlies, to determine which player he feels would be the best man to be captain come the WC qualifiers in September. I personally don't care any more who is England captain, they are all a different breed of human now England footballers, your not gonna get a Bobby Moore figure again. Capello is interested in winning matches, and I would guess he couldn't care what his captain is like off the pitch as long as he does the job on the pitch.

And if Beckham starts tonight instead of Bentley, well that would be the earliest April Fool gag this year.

I think the opposite. I think it will do Bentley good to be reminded that there are more experienced players in the mix with him and that he definitely is not the first name on the teamsheet. It will help him improve.

I do think Beckham might have a role to play. Capello has managed him before, he knows what he is about and I don't think he would pick him on sentiment.

It should be Gerrard - role model on and off the pitch, and doesn't get involved in all the party things etc that Ferdinand and Terry, to name a couple, do.

Even if Gerrard is never at his best for England, that shouldn't be any reason not to give it him - nobody would have it then!

It should be Gerrard - role model on and off the pitch, and doesn't get involved in all the party things etc that Ferdinand and Terry, to name a couple, do.

Even if Gerrard is never at his best for England, that shouldn't be any reason not to give it him - nobody would have it then!

I agree with this as it happens. I also would like to make the point that Chambers is a proven drugs cheat. Ferdinand, whilst foolish, was never accused of actually taking any drugs. A distinct difference imo.

Unfortunately England and football in general is not blessed with a multitude of role models. Capello will give it to Gerrard long term imo.

He (Ferdinand) is also easily our best defender, but that's besides the point.

I agree with this as it happens. I also would like to make the point that Chambers is a proven drugs cheat. Ferdinand, whilst foolish, was never accused of actually taking any drugs. A distinct difference imo.

Fair point Mr Market. A better comparison would be Christine Ohuruogu (sp?) who missed tests. Can compete for Britain, but not at the Olympics if memory serves. Draw your own conclusions, just seems things are a lot stricter in the athletics world.

Fair point Mr Market. A better comparison would be Christine Ohuruogu (sp?) who missed tests. Can compete for Britain, but not at the Olympics if memory serves. Draw your own conclusions, just seems things are a lot stricter in the athletics world.

Quite right. Athletics and Cycling have had their reputations virtually ruined by high profile drugs case after high profile drugs case. They are now incredibly strict as a result. Football isn't quite the same. The people are just obnoxious for a lot of the time which is a shame, considering it's our national game.

The school where I work recently sent a team out to Dallas, Texas for a big football competition. They did quite well all things considered. What was interesting was that the ref's were very strict on dissent of any kind, swearing or otherwise. The English sides found this hardest to deal with by all accounts which reflects the way our game has gone. We need better role models. Terry isn't it and I understand the argument that Rio has a less than blemish free past. Working as a teacher I realise that you cannot underestimate how important role models are in modern society. Football has a duty to sort it out. Which leaves me feeling that Gerrard should be skipper. But what do I know???

Archived