BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Best Keeper In The Premier League?

Never rated Van De Saar after seeing him concede far too many soft goals in his Fulham days (the 4-3 Rovers game stands out)

Freidel and his American friends are as good as any out there. Impressed with the Reading goalie today.

Never rated Van De Saar after seeing him concede far too many soft goals in his Fulham days (the 4-3 Rovers game stands out)

Freidel and his American friends are as good as any out there. Impressed with the Reading goalie today.

Was going to say the same thing about van De Saar - he's always been good to us.

I've always maintained that American keepers are so good because our defenders were always so bad (though not as bad as they used to be).

Also he isn't the strongest in the air. That, for me, means that he will never be one of the all time great Premier Leage kepers.

Cech is the best for me, but the likes of Van Der Sar, Niemi, Cudicini and Friedel are all excellent keepers.

The likes of Green, James and Howard are also very strong.

How many have you seen Brad drop?

Good point - he does have very safe hands. It's more a case that he doesn't come for nearly as much as the likes of Cech, Van Der Sar, James etc and tends to hang back on his line when the ball is just asking to be collected. I believe that our woeful record on conceding from set pieces vindicates my view somewhat.

Good point - he does have very safe hands. It's more a case that he doesn't come for nearly as much as the likes of Cech, Van Der Sar, James etc and tends to hang back on his line when the ball is just asking to be collected. I believe that our woeful record on conceding from set pieces vindicates my view somewhat.

I thought you would say that tcj.

I remember Tim Flowers saying that the coaching staff insisted that mostly, he stayed on his line. He had two BIG centre halves in front of him that were going to win 90% of the crosses, so unless he had to, he stayed on his line.

I assume Brad's coached the same way, - so it would be unfair to label Brad as "not the strongest in the air", especially when neither you nor I, have ever seen him drop a thing.

I demand that you retract that slur against the finest goalkeeper ever to wear the rovers shirt! :)

Haha, it's all conjecture though, isn't it? We can only go on what we've seen.

That is an interesting point on the methods of the Rovers coaching staff. I have actually wondered whether that were the case myself. Seems a bit strange to me - if he is strong in the air, then surely that is an asset?

But I do agree that he is the best keeper this club has ever seen. I thought Flowers was a great keeper - he's one of my all times favourite players - but Friedel has over taken him now.

For consistency and shot stopping abilities, only Cech compares for me.

We don't concede many from corners, more stupid freekicks on the edge of the box.

Don't think many keepers come out to try to catch freekicks...

There was that bit on Sky with Tony Adams (Arsenal v Chelsea) when he was asked about putting men on posts at corners. They asked him what they used to do at Arsenal and he said, "Me and Steve Bould would just head it away." I guess it's a good idea to let your big centre halves sort it out.

Archived