BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tattoo

nobody knows what the client is going to think at all, about the potential of visable tattoos, and anybody who thinks they can pre-empt what a client will think, is with all due respect talking out their bum. one thing i can totally gaurentee though (and this may sound contradictory)...is that if the product you are selling is of the highest quality and that the customer service given by your employees is as we would want...then i am certain the customer would not be overly bothered about appearances, as long as the person is presentable.

Good sales people understand the value of presentation, which includes the product and the person. It doesn't matter how good your product if the salesperson doesn't know how to look the part he/she won't get past first base. In my early 20s I had to visit a Yorkshire rhubarb farmer. I turned up in my wedding suit and new shoes, when he asked me if I wanted coffee I thought I'd cracked it...........till we walked across a ploughed field to get to the coffee. I learnt a very big lesson that day. More recently, I had to meet the Buying Director for a major UK retailer; at the time jeans and very expensive shirts were the dress code in his company and I knew this but arrived more traditionaly dressed. He told me there was no need to dress that way, I looked him straight in the eye and told him it was a matter of respect for the person I would be meeting as this was our first face to face talk. We got the contract. It's a question of presenting oneself in an appropriate manner, you can lose the deal in the first minute if you get this wrong.

If I walk into a retailer, PC World is a great example, to be greeted by badly dressed staff, tattoos, piercings, scruffy shoes etc I form an immediate opinion. it tells me PC World doesn't value its staff sufficiently to make sure they create the right impression. If PC World don't value their staff, then what do they (the company) think of the customer? If I don't get a decent response to my first question I leave. Anyone who doesn't understand the value of such impressions on the customer should not be in sales. Retailers who employ half-arsed staff, with half their arse hanging out their trousers lose millions every day. Signals, it's all about sending out the right signals.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Turn it around the other way. If 100 customers visit say ... a financial advisor ... or a jewellers ... or a branch of Currys to splash a few hundred quid on a plasma screen TV, at least some of those 100 folk are going to be somewhat taken aback if they are greeted by someone in those roles sporting tatoos.

Some will be so taken aback they will go to the bank / jeweller / electrical shop next door and spend their cash where they are greeted by someone with a more traditional appearance for those roles. That's a fact, so employers aren't going to take the risk are they - no matter how "good" the voluntarily painted person might actually be at what they do.

Tris and Paul- exactly.

There is a significant proportion of people (wouldn't like to put a figure on it) who find tattoos repugnant and I am not going to put the livelihoods of all the staff on the line for running an experiment on behalf of people who have chosen to "decorate" themselves in such a permanent manner.

I did work at a company in the UK with a former squaddie who was brilliant and had risen from a purely techie role to being Managing Director of one of our subsidiaries. He chose to wear thick buttoned down shirts no matter how hot it was and having seen his arms once when we were shifting some kit together (unlike Caroline's nipple) I have to say I wasn't surprised.

This is where AlanK gets it wrong re office jobs. I am sure Ashley never thought in his late teens when he thought a woman "with" a pig was a brilliant idea that by 35 he would have been working doing what he did.

Tris and Paul- exactly.

This is where AlanK gets it wrong re office jobs. I am sure Ashley never thought in his late teens when he thought a woman "with" a pig was a brilliant idea that by 35 he would have been working doing what he did.

There is a huge difference between the tattoo I have designed and what you have described. Of course people would find that repugnant. And I`m not in my late teens ( I wish ).

But yet again, all we are talking about are customer facing job roles. Any other reasons?

There is a huge difference between the tattoo I have designed and what you have described. Of course people would find that repugnant. And I`m not in my late teens ( I wish ).

But yet again, all we are talking about are customer facing job roles. Any other reasons?

Stop arguing and just get it done Alan.

There was one comment that tatoos are very fashionable amongst the young.

They are going to be so passee and so 2008 before long.

The only thing that was permanent about my afro are the odd photo hidden away.... and unlike everyone else's mine grew on its own!

I don't get why it's generating so many posts.

Because, we're not allowed to argue about anything else....

At least we found a topic Philip, Paul, Gordon, Tris and I can agree on!

Well I'd guess that is beacuse ultimately in every business a product or service has to be sold to a customer; ergo all business is customer facing. It isn't limited to person behind counter / person in front of counter.

:)

Don't speak too soon American. Flopsy and Den will now be on Red Alert cos Philipl has effortlessly managed to switch the topic from tattoos to 'Afro's'! :closedeyes:

Just to make it even more amazing, you can add my list to that name as well. If I were an employer and had the choice between two equally well qualified applicants, one of whom had an easily visible tattoo, then there would be only one winner (that is unless I happened to be running some sort of skate company for example, or any industry where it made the person look more genuine for the product). Like it or not there are certain things associated with having tattoos, especially a large number and it is something that you need to think about when you are getting them. They also never look good when you are older.

If I were an employer and had the choice between two equally well qualified applicants, one of whom had an easily visible tattoo, then there would be only one winner

Crikey eddie, even I am not that judgemental! What about if one was a good looking blonde with big tits and a small rose tattooed on her inner thigh whilst the other was a dog with unblemished skin? :rolleyes:

Crikey eddie, even I am not that judgemental! What about if one was a good looking blonde with big tits and a small rose tattooed on her inner thigh whilst the other was a dog with unblemished skin? :rolleyes:

I'd like to have a night out with you, I don't think that the inner thigh of a good looking blonde is easily visible for most people...

I've always been against Tatoo's. But I'm not sure that's my true opinion - more the case that society/my parents have forced that upon me.

In my previous job I worked with an agency where the Creative Director had heavily tattooed hands - never really thought twice about it. In fact, it probably added a little to 'his game' in my eyes.

Will I ever get a tatoo - no. Can I offer any advice - no. Although I will say this...

You only get one first impression.

If you are at a stage where first impressions count you may need to think about where you choose to have your tattoo/piercing.

i am afraid that i have the opposite view of most folks on this thread. if i am employing somebody, wether it be girl or boy and that person has a visible tattoo...as long as he or she is well presented i.e. smartly dressed, well groomed and well mannered...then i am more than ok with that.

question for eddie: if you have a decision to make between hiring somebody with a visible tattoo, whomappears more than qualified for the job and is well presented etc etc...versus somebody who is slightly less qualified for the job and seems to have a little attitude probably etc etc...what do you choose??

question for eddie: if you have a decision to make between hiring somebody with a visible tattoo, whomappears more than qualified for the job and is well presented etc etc...versus somebody who is slightly less qualified for the job and seems to have a little attitude probably etc etc...what do you choose??

That's no brainer. Just keep interviewing until an acceptable applicant becomes available (without visible paintwork or bolts through their lips), and then ... err - hire them.

Ah ! THAT'S why you're called "Blueboy Downunder" :lol:

:)

Don't speak too soon American. Flopsy and Den will now be on Red Alert cos Philipl has effortlessly managed to switch the topic from tattoos to 'Afro's'! :closedeyes:

You have to keep digging dont you.

i am afraid that i have the opposite view of most folks on this thread. if i am employing somebody, wether it be girl or boy and that person has a visible tattoo...as long as he or she is well presented i.e. smartly dressed, well groomed and well mannered...then i am more than ok with that.

I'd go for the person with the tatoos. What I'm really saying is that I would see a person with visible tattoos in the same way in which I would see someone who showed up for the interview underdressed and not well groomed. I'm not sure that I would want them to be the "face" of my company at any point. It would also depend on where the tattoo was and what it was. I just hope that I get set up with the attractive blonde, not a skinhead with a cross on his forehead;

tattoos are a personal choice, being discriminated against because you have one is like racism imo.

Some people like them, some don't. I'm not into all this goth/emo stuff but i respect it because it's their choice. I don't see how having ink on your body affects somebody's efforts to do a good job though.

You see shall i say the "older generation" with tattoos of skulls etc which are not my taste but i respect when the person had it done it was top of the pops at the time and it will mean a lot to them. People who get tattoos who don't understand the concept that it will be there forever are just stupid! Some will regret doing it, thats natural.

Tattoos are extremely popular right now, folks fashion perhaps but get tattoos for all kinds of reasons and I'm no different. I only have one, it' is very, very, very personal to me and i love it.

mine

2421510226a4097553295b789256836l.jpg

I'm getting another one soon, my own design and i can't wait.

Archived