BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Most Over Rated Player

Also, Trezeguet and Deco are over rated.

Robbie Keane is underrated to me! He should be playing champions league

totally agree, totally disagree

totally agree.

Trezeguet is dross, utterly woeful and lazy.

Deco is excelent, he's just been crocked and playing in what is quiet a poor midfield this season

Keane I would have in a Rovers shirt in a flash.

Agree that England's Brave John Terry is overrated as fat frank lampard. I have doubts about "gone missing in an England shirt" Gerrard as well.

Joe Cole

In fact all the England team that played in 2006, bar Peter Crouch and Rooney.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Reid has taken a bit of kicking here. The only reason anyone thought of him as a particularly brilliant player is because he was linked to Manchester United which suprised everybody. He is a fitness player who depends on his running (much like Gerrard) and once he gets that back he will be decent for us.

It's a form and fitness thing. It will happen to Bentley as sure as winter comes. He will have a bad run of form and everyone will kick him as "always being rubbish". Joe Cole has had it all his life - considered brilliant one minute, awful the next. It is pretty daft.

Kasper Schmeichel and Joe Hart at City are both hugely over-rated. It takes longer for a goalkeeper to mature but, even at their young age, they shouldn't look so dodgy.

I'd add to that Jermaine Jenas, Dirk Kuyt, Saloman Kalou, Reina and John Terry.

I don't know how people can think Gary Neville is overrated. For years he has quietly gone about his job and been steady. Whenever he has been fit neither Man U or England have had to worry about the right back position for over a decade. Nobody has suggested he is like Cafu or any good going forward so I'm bemused why anyone would put him down as overrated...always thought of as reliable with no frills and that is what he has done for years. Bit of a prat mind...

Alan Smith has won 17 caps with England. How that has been allowed to happen I'll never know...

I agree, Gary Neville isn't over rated. He's highly rated. He's probably Englands greatest right back and a Premier League legend. People only hate him because he's not afraid to tell the truth and he plays for Manchester United. He's an honest, hard working right back who's achieved a hell of a lot of success in his career. We need to step away from the fact we might hate Man Utd and just give some respect to him as a footballer.

I agree, Gary Neville isn't over rated. He's highly rated. He's probably Englands greatest right back and a Premier League legend. People only hate him because he's not afraid to tell the truth and he plays for Manchester United. He's an honest, hard working right back who's achieved a hell of a lot of success in his career. We need to step away from the fact we might hate Man Utd and just give some respect to him as a footballer.

I used to dislike Gary Neville. I changed my opinion though during the time when it was fashionable to wear those wristbands that were originally the Lance Armstrong 'Livestrong' thing. He was asked about it and gave an answer something along the lines of not wearing one as so many companies had jumped on the bandwagon of something that was originally purely about charity and fund raising but had now become fashionable and lucrative. What I've typed doesn't do it justice to be fair. He spoke very well and made a lot of sense and in one moment totally changed my opinion of him. I respect him a lot more now and can more easily recognise his professionalism and consistency at both club and national level. I also like the fact his dad (Neville Neville- tee hee) is his agent. Funny how your opinion of someone you don't really know can change after one small moment...

• Backroom
I strongly disagree, Rooney is a very good player but he isn't the messiah the english media make him out to be. The fuss they made when he was a teenager at Everton, the "White Pele" they were calling him. He goes missing in games, his international record is poor and still the media harp on about him being "Great".

Very good player? yes, Overated? definately.

The fuss they made when he was a teenager at Everton ?? Yes !! I agree he was over-rated then... but the question surely was 'who in your opinion IS over-rated'.. meaning NOW

I certainly don't think Rooney is over-rated now :closedeyes:

What's with all the mentions of Kuyt? As far as I know the only one who actually rates him is Rafa. And one needs to be rated first in order to be overrated.

I don't like Gary Neville much, but he's a very good right back. First choice at Man U for over a decade should say it all, although if you need more evidence you should simply watch him play.

As for Totti and Ibra and the likes; Amazing players, but so incredibly inconsistent. Zlatan also disappears in big games it seems, at least on club level. Scored several important goals for the national team in important games (Such as against Italy at Euro2004 and Hungary in qualifying), but rarely all that good in the CL.

David Platt - that goal in 1990 made him a so called world class player and got some amazing moves abroad from it. Always thought he was indisciplined as a midffielder and very over rated.

Steve McManamann - not necessarily over rated but the luckiest player around. 3 european cups, league titles but offered very little

More recent ones, John Terry, SWP, Rooney (to the extent of his media hype), Jon Obi Mikel, Owen.

Also, i was always baffled why non Rovers fans always used to go on about how good Jason Wilcox was. I'll never understand that!

Always amazed when people slag off Jason Wilcox, ask Alan Shearer or Graeme le Saux about him. Set up a huge number of goals and protected the full back forcing attackers into the clutches of Mr Hendry. Rovers fans expect wingers to beat the full back all the time but is David Bentley a winger? he is a right sided midfielder, Wilcox was a left sided midfielder.

Opposition fans tend to be more objective about players.

Spoke to Jason in Kendals, manchester before christmas, always a nice guy.

Kuyt is an interesting one, now he plays as a midfielder he is very effective, can't hit barn door though!

I just hope all the Liverpool, Man U and Pompey players mentioned here are still firmly on the over-rated list three weeks from now.

A brief glance over this thread suggests that:

Liverpool - Gerrard, Reina, Kuyt, Pennant and Kewell are over-rated

Manchester United - Ferdinand, Rooney, Hargreaves, Gary Neville, Fletcher and Carrick are over-rated.

How many of the above will have stormers against us in the coming week I wonder? :rolleyes:

I think Gary Neville is proof that you don't have to be highly talented to have a stellar football career. I think it's a combination of luck (emerging at Man U), mental strength, good coaching and sheer work ethic (and admittedly, some talent) which explains where he is now.

The fact Wes Brown has been a adequate RB for Man U this season goes to prove that being Man U's RB isn't hugely demanding.

Almost as easy as being a holding midfielder :rolleyes:

Brett Emerton came in to play a DM role against Liverpool and did a good enough job. If you're a professional football with reasonable ability, decent mobility and discipline to hold the fort, you can do an adequate role in the holding midfield role. Fact.

Had Hughes pursued with Emerton as a DM, he would undoubtedly be a more reliable holding midfielder than Mokoena.

Edit: Paul Gallagher was made for this thread!

Archived