BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Most Over Rated Player

I think Gary Neville is proof that you don't have to be highly talented to have a stellar football career. I think it's a combination of luck (emerging at Man U), mental strength, good coaching and sheer work ethic (and admittedly, some talent) which explains where he is now.

The fact Wes Brown has been a adequate RB for Man U this season goes to prove that being Man U's RB isn't hugely demanding.

What a load of absolute rubbish!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Claude Makelele. Pundits and journalist constantly describe him as underrated. If everyone thinks he's the most underrated player in the league then he's surely very highly rated.

Totally agree! About a year or so ago, everytime Makelele was even close to the ball he was named as the 'un-sung hero'... I think we get the point!

Obviously Gallagher has problems with his attitude. A shame because when he came through he clearly had the talent but thought that was enough. If he can't hack it at Preston or Stoke then there's no chance now of him doing it for us now. A shame, he was a much bigger talent than Derbyshire is but has nothing like as good an attitude...

To say Gary Neville or Ryan Giggs are overrated is absolute lunacy. I've very rarely seen Neville have a bad game and he's served England well. As for Giggs, tell me somebody else who has played on the wing at the top for 17-18 years? I don't think anyone has, have they? I think Duff was better than him for a while but only for 18 months to 2 years.

Over rated players:

I think Adebayor is slightly overrated. He scores in runs but I'm sure he'll end up very good.

Tim Cahill, not a good player but scores a few.

MGP (see Cahill).

John Terry, not as good as Carvalho. Good against Premiership teams but not so good against quick,c lever strikers.

Steven Gerrard. Good in messy, fast games but really loses it against teams who keep the ball.

Joaquin, good sometimes but not most of the time.

Ryan Giggs is by far the most overrated player in the history of the Premier League.

Club

Manchester United (1990-present)

* FA Premier League - Champion (9): 1992-93, 1993-94, 1995-96, 1996-97, 1998-99, 1999-00, 2000-01, 2002-03, 2006-07

* FA Premier League - Runner Up: 1994-95, 1997-98, 2005-06

* FA Youth Cup Winner: 1992

* FA Cup Winner (4): 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004

* FA Cup Runner Up: 1995, 2005, 2007

* League Cup Winner (2): 1992, 2006

* League Cup Runner Up: 1994, 2003

* Community Shield Winner (6): 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007

* Community Shield Runner Up: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004

* UEFA Champions League Winner: 1999

* UEFA Super Cup Winner: 1991

* UEFA Super Cup Runner Up: 1999

* Intercontinental Cup: 1999

Individual

* Barclays Premiership Player of the Month: August, 2006, February 2007.

* Intercontinental Cup Man of the Match: 1999

* Manchester United Players Player of the Year Award: 2005/2006

* U-21 European Footballer of the Year: (1993)

* Wales Player of the Year Award: 1996, 2006

* Inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame: 2005

* Inducted into the Premiership Team of the Decade: 2003

* Inducted into the FA Challenge Cup Team of the Century: 2006

* Only Manchester United player to have played in all 9 Premiership title winning teams; also a record of English title holders overall

* Only Manchester United player to have played in both League Cup winning teams

* Only player to have scored in 12 consecutive Champions League tournaments

* Along with Gary Speed, the only player to have scored in every Premier League campaign since its inception

* Member of PFA Team of the Year: 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2007

* OBE for services to football

add to that 2 pfa young players of the year awards and a sports personality of the year award, i would disagree.

The only disappointments of his career is a few bad injuries and the woeful international side of things with wales, he will join the list of greats such as m hughes, rush, speed, southall etc of some of the greatest players never to make it to a top international competition.

Presty...dont you do sarcasm? I think it was a little joke from T4E...dont you?

The fact Wes Brown has been a adequate RB for Man U this season goes to prove that being Man U's RB isn't hugely demanding.

How? Wes Brown has been, as you say, adequate. Gary Neville has been consistently very good if unspectacular. This is despite the fact that Wes Brown is actually a very good defender and has played at right back many times throughout his career and he certainly has not really been playing out of position.

You still have not addressed how he is overrated. Nobody views him as a wing back or anything other than a bit clumsy but a solid, dependable important cog in any side. United have a great defence anyway but it will be better when he gets back to fitness and England could certainly do with his assured presence at the back.

Should we not combine threads?

Currently under-rated

Clichy

Carvalho

Warnock

Nicky Butt

Scholes

Yakubu

Currently over-rated

Carrick

Kalou

Terry- just a big hard nut who lumps the ball whenever he gets the chance.

Wilcox got more stick at Rovers than most but was an excellent midfielder. I've said time and again that the reason why we wobbled over the finish line in 1995 was because Wilcox got injured.

You could argue a case for anyone really. On the international stage there are a lot more.

Totti is very over rated. Good in Serie A, but awful when it comes to the Champions League or Internationals. Del Piero never really did it in internationals either. Jermaine Jenas is over rated by successive England managers. Earlier players that were over rated include Darren Anderton and Ronaldo once he left Barca.

Giggs' Arsenal FA Cup goal is overrated, don't you think? The finish was excellent but the dribbling to get past the Gunners' defence was a little jammy.

The year after Giggs played centre midfield and he was restored to the left, he was fantastic. It was arguably his best ever season. Which is interesting because due to a loss of pace but enhanced passing ability from experiencing life in the middle, Giggs was effective as a assist-maker in the Beckham mould and not from performing jinking runs.

He basically had his best season when he gave up the dribbling and concentrated on getting his delivery right - and early.

The danger is to try and think of reasons why players could be considered overrated.

Why don't we sit and talk about why Giggs and Rooney are so good.

I must admit Terry, Lampard and Gerrard have, IMO failed to deliver at the very highest level, but Rooney wont given the chance (over next few years will prove this) and Giggs has delivered constistantly for well over a decade, and has the personal and team trophies to back this up.

I must admit Terry, Lampard and Gerrard have, IMO failed to deliver at the very highest level

Terry and Lampard maybe but Gerrard was superb in the Champìons League final in 2005 and often has great games against the best club sides in Europe. Europeanh club football can be considered the very highest level these days as most of the very best players in the world play in the Champions League.

There is nothing wrong with this, I just don't see him as a 'natural,' he is a major tryer.

IMO only in the second half against Milan when it was a 'nothing to lose mentality' on a freakish night has he delivered.

In big England games and in last seasons final I thought he was pathetic.

Top player, no world beater.

I think on his day he is a world beater. He grabbed Liverpool by the scruff of the neck in that game against Milan and also the FA Cup final against West Ham.

It is true he hasn´t so often delivered for England but that might have to do with two managers continuing to stick him with Lampard or on the wing which means he had to stay back usually while Lampard ran forward and sent successive shots into the stands. England needs to play him in his position and not as Lampard´s water carrier.

Maybe, I just think players are judged by the teams they were apart of.

Certain players have to do cerain jobs in certain teams. For years Lampard and Gerrard have been the top 2 English central midfielders, and 99% of people would agree that Gerrard has the better defensive qualities, so he should do the job for England as he does for Liverpool when he plays on the wings. But he can't. It could be said that Liverpool have numerous water carriers giving Gerrard and Torres ultimate freedom to express, which seems to work okay for them.

But, when surrounded by quality players all of whom are used to being the top dogs, Gerrard never stands out. David Beckham always did, that;s why he was one of the very elite players in his peak.

Benitez is a better manager than any of the other managers Gerrard has ever worked with. Benitez has never trusted Gerrard as a central midfielder in a 4-4-2, this, to an outsider (me) seems pretty stone cold fact.

Gerrard has always played on the wings in a 4-4-2, or only ever central in a 4-5-1 over long periods of time under Benitez. It is always in these systems he performs well.

Had to bring this one in Johann Vogel 31 years of age extremely overrated cheap foreign player over here plying his trade at a higher standard than hes capable of.

Whats he got - not a lot though he can tie his boots and put his kit on.

You say that after two performances, one of which he was part of a team that put in one of the worst performances I've ever seen?

Jesus, we'd need a team of Ronaldos to make you happy!

With his age what i'm seeing on the pitch it aint good how long do we give him until hes forty!

No, just until the end of the season to find his feet. That would be the rational response.

When i've seen nearly forty years of football and watch regularly live football on TV when someone comes in at that age i see all kinds of skills, mannerisms from a player that makes me think hes a good one, in Vogel i see nothing, except someone who has very very little to offer at this level.

He might well have looked good in Holland and Italy but he looks a claret to me thats the best compliment i can give him and its a damming one.

Maybe i should try my hand at scouting because whoever scouted this lad along with some of the young lads at the academy, have shown themselves not to be upto the task of progressing Blackburn Rovers forward.

When i've seen nearly forty years of football and watch regularly live football on TV when someone comes in at that age i see all kinds of skills, mannerisms from a player that makes me think hes a good one, in Vogel i see nothing, except someone who has very very little to offer at this level.

Has Vogel slept with your missus or something? You're clearly unwilling to give the man a chance. I thought he did ok against Liverpool - 2 of the 3 goals were scored after he came off. Once he's match fit and used to the Premiership pace - I think he'll be a decent player for us. To write him off already is stupid.

He might well have looked good in Holland and Italy but he looks a claret to me thats the best compliment i can give him and its a damming one.

Maybe i should try my hand at scouting because whoever scouted this lad along with some of the young lads at the academy, have shown themselves not to be upto the task of progressing Blackburn Rovers forward.

Not many Rovers players on the pitch would have played the ball Vogel did for Roberts when he was fouled, that was great vision.

Archived