BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bacon

Went for Subway this afternoon before watching the Rovers in the pub as they are a good hangover cure from the previous night.

I opted for a Chicken and Bacon Ranch but was informed that bacon was no longe being served at this subway store as it is now a halal subway (Preston New Road).

I was outraged and am considering complaining.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was outraged and am considering complaining.

I think you are right to be "outraged." This is obviously a national disgrace and something needs to be done at once. I blame Gordon Brown, Muslims, the demise of National Service, and the abject failure of The Bacon Council Of The UK to promote bacon as a low salt & low fat alternative to lettuce. I'm afraid. The country is going to the dogs I'm afraid.

While it is preposterous (why someone can't just not select bacon if they don't want to eat it is beyond me) the fact that each Subway outlet is franchisee owned means that those individuals in charge can probably choose to sell whatever they want. If this branch is in a mainly Muslim area then even having bacon or ham under the same roof is probably unacceptable to the majority of punters.

While it is preposterous (why someone can't just select bacon if they don't want to eat it is beyond me) the fact that each Subway outlet is franchisee owned means that those individuals in charge can probably choose to sell whatever they want. If this branch is in a mainly Muslim area then even having bacon or ham under the same roof is probably unacceptable to the majority of punters.

What about the minority in the area, do they not have a choice any more?

:lol:

If this branch is in a mainly Muslim area then even having bacon or ham under the same roof is probably unacceptable to the majority of punters.

Im not getting drawn in i will post once and thats it,Matt please explain then why does the attached garage sell BLT and brekfast butties, seeing as you answer on all things to do with Blackburn

Guest Kamy100

The subway is a franchise so the franchise holder is entitled to do whatever he/she chooses. Obviously he/she looked at the customer base and saw that a large propotion of the customers coming into the subway were muslims and decided to offer halal sandwich fillings. This has nothing to do with religion this is purely a business decision from the franchise holder to maximise profits.

If you are unhappy about this then I would advice that you complain to the franchise holder.

Im not getting drawn in i will post once and thats it,Matt please explain then why does the attached garage sell BLT and brekfast butties, seeing as you answer on all things to do with Blackburn

:rolleyes: I don't 'answer on all things to do with Blackburn'. Once more you are making massive leaps in your logic. I was simply suggesting a reason for the lack of bacon.

Quite what garages, BLTs and butties have to do with anything I'm not completely sure but if I can decipher your meaning, I would imagine it's entirely the prerogative of the owners of the respective establishments. I neither agree with the decision to ban bacon in Subway nor do I fully understand it. Perhaps it's the beginning of a pogrom. Perhaps it's simply the owner looking after his own pocket and catering to the majority of his punters. Which would certainly make sense since I hear there are quite a few Muslims in Blackburn.

:rolleyes: I don't 'answer on all things to do with Blackburn'. Once more you are making massive leaps in your logic. I was simply suggesting a reason for the lack of bacon.

Quite what garages, BLTs and butties have to do with anything I'm not completely sure but if I can decipher your meaning, I would imagine it's entirely the prerogative of the owners of the respective establishments. I neither agree with the decision to ban bacon in Subway nor do I fully understand it. Perhaps it's the beginning of a progrom. Perhaps it's simply the owner looking after his own pocket and catering to the majority of his punters. Which would certainly make sense since I hear there are quite a few Muslims in Blackburn.

What's a progrom?

The main issue here is - equality! Why should it be banned? When i lived in Nottingham the staff changed their gloves for vegetarians and muslims.

I personally think it has nothing to do with demographics of the area as it is the only subway in blackburn that is accessible without entering the town centre and stays open past 5pm. The vibe i got was this is our subway!

I posted it on here as this section is " i cant believe its not football" and i value certain people's opinions on this site and it was something i wanted to share.

Being told your not allowed something like a piece of bacon in a "free" country like England is the bit that outraged me.

The main issue here is - equality! Why should it be banned? When i lived in Nottingham the staff changed their gloves for vegetarians and muslims.

I personally think it has nothing to do with demographics of the area as it is the only subway in blackburn that is accessible without entering the town centre and stays open past 5pm. The vibe i got was this is our subway!

I posted it on here as this section is " i cant believe its not football" and i value certain people's opinions on this site and it was something i wanted to share.

Being told your not allowed something like a piece of bacon in a "free" country like England is the bit that outraged me.

What makes you think England is a "free" country?

:lol:

To be fair, it's not that you were not allowed bacon, it's more that they didn't sell/serve bacon. I'm quite sure you could eat as much bacon as you like in a greasy spoon, other subway, at home.

If a shop owner of any type of good decides they no longer want to stock it, do you get similarly outraged that you are not allowed to buy it? Or do you think well stuff you shopkeeper, you've stopped stocking what I want to buy so I'll take the rest of my trade elsewhere?

I use a variety of takeaway places, some are run by Muslims and don't serve ham on pizza, some are run by Muslims and do serve ham on pizza. If I want ham on my pizza I go to one that serves it, if I don't I go to the other one. I don't think it's a national disgrace that not every place doesn't have ham on the menu and I certainly wouldn't claim it was banned. It's the owner's choice not some law he is adhering to.

You were outraged that they didn't serve you bacon? They are perfectly within their rights to chose whether or not they sell bacon, and they would still have been within their rights if they chose not to serve you at all.

It is a free(ish) country to the people who own Subway franchises as well you know.

p.s. If that really was enough to cause you 'outrage', then I'd suggest going to the doctors or alternatively find something else in your life that is worth getting worked up about.

: bacon.

Quite what garages, BLTs and butties have to do with anything I'm not completely sure

was only going to post once but matt if you knew where the subway was it would help you .The subway is on a garage forecourt that sells blts etc.

to the people who say its up to the owners what they sell ,its subway who are the overall gaffers ,if a manager of say kfc or maccy d's decide not to sell chicken or burgers would that be ok?

or if a garage stopped selling fuel because its bad,or a landlord stopped serving beer.

ITS SUBWAY ITS AMERICAN AND SHOULD SERVE WHAT ITS FAMOUS FOR AND BOW TO RELIGEON END OF..ITS FOOD FOR FFS.

IM MAKING BACON BUTTS NOW JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT

was only going to post once but matt if you knew where the subway was it would help you .The subway is on a garage forecourt that sells blts etc.

to the people who say its up to the owners what they sell ,its subway who are the overall gaffers ,if a manager of say kfc or maccy d's decide not to sell chicken or burgers would that be ok?

or if a garage stopped selling fuel because its bad,or a landlord stopped serving beer.

ITS SUBWAY ITS AMERICAN AND SHOULD SERVE WHAT ITS FAMOUS FOR AND BOW TO RELIGEON END OF..ITS FOOD FOR FFS.

IM MAKING BACON BUTTS NOW JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT

That's all very well but the fact remains that Subway is owned by a franchisee who can sell whatever produce best suits his commercial needs.

That's all very well but the fact remains that Subway is owned by a franchisee who can sell whatever produce best suits his commercial needs.

Not trying to defend anyone, but I think you are wrong with that statement, people go to a subway for specific food, the franchisee buys a franchise to sell the products promoted by the franchise brand, if the franchisee wanted to sell anything he would open a butty shop without the constraints of the franchise.

:rover:

Not trying to defend anyone, but I think you are wrong with that statement, people go to a subway for specific food, the franchisee buys a franchise to sell the products promoted by the franchise brand, if the franchisee wanted to sell anything he would open a butty shop without the constraints of the franchise.

:rover:

Well, the only way to find out if that statement is wrong or not is to complain to Subway corporate. As a business owner, the franchisee, while respecting laws and franchise agreements, can run their business any way they want. The best way to get them to change is not to go in. If they lose their business, they will hopefully be smart enough to bring it back.

But then again, the government can tell you that you are not allowed to permit smoking, so maybe they should tell you that you aren't allowed to ban bacon!

That’s like a McDonalds owned by Hindu’s not selling a Big Mac. Its nothing at all to do with econmics its purely and simply religoius imperialism and the fact that certain ethnic gropus can get away with such non-pc behaviour , whilst the rest of us have to adhere to it by the letter.

Archived