BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Johan Vogel

sorry if theres another thread but i havent seen 1.

so johan vogel

what do we think of him so far?

good buy? bad buy?

mediocre buy :rolleyes:

i think it's far too early to be making assumptions. you can see hughes is worried about the lack of depth around the centre of the park and has been candidly forced to get vogel in much sooner than he would have prefered. ideally he would be a big part of next years plans but perhaps to stir some competition or simply the lack of talent we have down the middle particularly in a defensive manner sparkys been forced to get him starting games much, much earlier.

i suppose with the instant success of samba and santa cruz we expect vogel to be doing just as good as them straight from the get go. unfair expectations on a player who has been said to have not played competitively for quite some time.

I was led to believe that he would be better than Axe if only for the fact that he can tackle and pass and to be honest I have yet to see that (not had many games granted)

He immediately got on my nerves though when in his first interview he said he was surprised that Blackburn had some good players. Who does he think he is. I would still prefer Dunny in the middle instead of him.

He looks a bit casual at the moment to be honest and he is quite a small guy. If he is going to be effective in that position he is going to have to be a bit more agressive and get around the pitch a bit more. He has played some nice pasees but nothing really inspiring. Defensively he has been a nonevent so far.

He has the pedigree we need. It is vital we get him up to speed.

He looks a bit casual at the moment to be honest and he is quite a small guy. He has played some nice pasees but nothing really inspiring. Defensively he has been a nonevent so far.

Sounds a bit like Tugay, but without the amazing range of passing.

I thought he has done ok so far. Not set the world alight but he has been out of the game for a long time. When you take that into account and see Mokoena on the bench, it really does signal the end for him.

Hughes obviously thinks he has something to offer us in the longer term, by offering him the 2 year deal. Stick with it and give him a chance.

Sounds a bit like Tugay, but without the amazing range of passing.

Well exactly. But Vogel has the reputation of a fighter so we need to get that out of him. We need someone who can shield the back four effectively and pass the ball.

At the moment I can't really see Nelsen and Samba looking at Vogel feeling particularly secure.

Well he will have his hands full on Saturday with Scholes/Anderson/Tevez/Rppney/Ronaldo to keep tabs on.

In the two games he has had so far he has quite simply not stood out from the crowd. I have hardly noticed his being on the pitch. BUT, as others have said, the guy has not played in competitive matches for yonks, so we need to give him time.

It is not as though he has played badly, or done anything stupid that has cost us, just as he has not done anything outstandingly creative. And therein lies the problem that I think most of the people that are critical of him are experiencing. Expectations are too high! His reputation as a top class player with PSV and Milan(??) has done him no favours as far as our signing him is concerned; some people (maybe subconsciously) are expecting him to be the new Tugay, but that is not realistic at the present. He may very well turn out to be the new Tugay in time and with many PL games under his belt, but that is for the future, if indeed it ever happens. Meanwhile we need to trust MH's judgement and give the guy time. You know it makes sense!

All I say is remember OOjers start at Rovers.

Far too early to judge him.

My only observation is whether his inclusion in the last two matches has caused the alarming uncertainty in the defence

i agree it took mccarthy a couple of months to settle in properly and hes turned out a goog player for us

just give him time

I'll judge him when he's had a proper pre-season with the team. Like someone said above, he hasn't been any worse than the rest of the team so far, just hasn't stood out; positively or negatively. I also think we'll sign a midfielder in the summer (Bradley?), and that Vogel was more brought in to replace Tugay/Mokoena, with the rationale being that he (At least in the past) can do both their roles. If he then recaptures his best form then it'll have been a great deal. If he's a step up from Mokoena then it'll still have been value for money, and I think he'll definitely be that. But I'm basing all this on 180 minutes of him not being match fit. Maybe he'll get much better, maybe he won't... I'm withholding any real judgement until October.

I was impressed with him on his debut; he was nearly always in the right place to pick up passes from the defence and apart from a couple of wayward passes, nearly always found his team mates. Now this might not sound earth shattering, but it did seem to fit in with a move away from 4-4-2 next season.

If he is to sit in front of the back 4, he won't be a Batty type tackler, but he is likely to pass to Rovers' players.

Far too early to measure Vogel's performances for Rovers.

One things for sure, he certainly hasnt been outdone in recent games by ANY Rovers player.

A full preseason under his belt and a dozen games after that should be the time to pass comment on his performances.

• 2 weeks later...
sorry if theres another thread but i havent seen 1.

so johan vogel

what do we think of him so far?

good buy? bad buy?

I think that he is improving game after game - bearing in mind how long he has been out of the game. The side he has come up against - spurs - liverpool - man utd and now pompey, not one of those games is every easy. against spurs I thought he was out of his depth and thought Hughes had made a boo bo. against Liverpool he kept passing backwards - yet now I consider he is another shrewd investment by Hughes, who can only get better.

Archived