BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roberts Staying

Nobody seems to have picked up on the comment "at the moment". In other words what happens with Roberts will be decided by what kind of interest there is, who else we sell, what happens between now and the end of the transfer window with other players coming in. All he's saying really is that we don't have to sell and at the moment we've no real plans to, so if you want him and think he's going on the cheap then forget it. Come back later with a realistic price and there might be room for manoeuvre.

It would be quite nice if some deluded wotsit came in with £7 million pounds for the young English goal scoring sensation, Matt Derbyshire.

However, I'd be quite happy to see him stay and do the cameos.

roy keane is deluded enough to something like that

Jason doesn't smile very much these days-he used to be laughing and joking with Benni when he first came. I think he even got mad when he scored in the UEFA Cup earlier this year!

I like the lad, not overly blessed with skill, but has many other obvious qualities-look at the winner he scored at the Reebok this year, Shearer would have been proud of that goal. More of that, which created the £3 million bill we paid for him and keep him for first change is my opinion. Thanks.

If the right offer came I'd sell him. For mine he doesn't have the touch or finishing ability of a Premiership forward. He's getting games over Benni because his workrate and pace pose problems to the opposition's defence. If someone were to offer £3m for him I'd take it.

Roque's the first name on the teamsheet, with a pacey striker alongside him. I'd have Benni and Derbyshire on the bench to provide attacking options.

God knows what Hughes' thinking is regarding the McCarthy v Roberts issue. He starts Roberts & leaves McCarthy on the bench whilst offering Benni a kings ransom to sign a new contract and leaves a question mark over Roberts' future. Unless McCarthy is nursing a secret injury or some personal crisis which stops him playing termporarily its pretty obvious to everyone who buys a ticket that Benni doesnt give 2 hoots for playing for Rovers whereas Roberts - admittedly a less talented player, but not without abilities - gives his all. Hughes must think its just a dip in form for Benni but a full season (minus a couple of games) is a massive dip in form! And £50,000 a week?!! Come on...

I've always liked Roberts and I think he battles the front line and works well as a foil for Roque.

As for Derbyshire, I think after his op this next season is crucial for him and I hope he gets the minutes on the pitch (if only as sub appearances of longer than 15 mins) to make his mark and develop. He's yet to convince when starting but if he can move up that step to a striker worthy of a starting place we may be looking at a future great.

Roberts tries hard and has all the ability to be a far better player than he is.

Ultimatelý...he is not very good though is he? He can trap the ball farther than most players can kick it...works a lot but has never ever scored a lot. That will not change.

Add to his sulking over a long period and prior bouts of petulance at other clubs when not playing or getting the deal he likes and I cannot really see the need in keeping him.

Ashley Ward used to try hard too and get less than double figures each season. Roberts, like Heskey, should score far more but never does.

Roberts tries hard and has all the ability to be a far better player than he is.

Ultimatelý...he is not very good though is he? He can trap the ball farther than most players can kick it...works a lot but has never ever scored a lot. That will not change.

Amazing. :lol:

Agree 100% - to move onwards and upwards, he must move and a good bit of business for us could help us progress with the extra money.

Although Roberts has some good qualities, I think he is someone we need to replace with a better player if we want to progress as a club.

Think its closer to 40k per week. Also you dont just flog quality like that. When has Roberts even got close to 20 prem league goals in a season?

Hughes must think its just a dip in form for Benni but a full season (minus a couple of games) is a massive dip in form! And £50,000 a week?!! Come on...

What I love about Roberts is he is like a proverbial hippo on rollerskates most of the time but then sometimes he shows great control. You never know. As I have said though I do believe he will go.

Benni on the other hand... I was thinking we would sell, but I guess Hughes feeling is i) Benni won't be in the first choice partnership ii) If we can inject a bit more pace and inventiveness into our midfield he will be rejuvinated as an attacking option.

The fact is if we can create space for McCarthy in the final third of the pitch then he will score. But he is not the sort of person who can magic goals out of nowhere on a regular basis like Bellamy or, to a lesser extent, Cruz. Defenders can shephard him out quite easily.

I wouldn't bet against him having a 15 goal season next year if we get the right midfielders in over the summer.

Archived