BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Takeover Thread

Also as he is obviously a diehard Newcastle fan as well, is it likely that he would ever have any interest in acquiring and promoting the interests of Blackburn Rovers?

Supposedly a dedicated Spurs fan ... before buying Newcastle of course ...

The only interest people like that have is themselves, and money of course. Which is why I regard any alleged approach for BRFC by the likes of Mr Ronnie with the utmost degree of cynicism.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The following is a company announcement from his JJB takeover period. It states it was a joint venture between him and exista, which using the figures given makes his holding worth around £95m at the time.

Full article can be read at:

https://newsclient.omxgroup.com/cdsPublic/v...essageId=250623

Exista hf. - Company Announcement

- Financial Group Exista and Chris Ronnie Acquire a 29% Stake in JJB Sports plc

Please find the following announcement disclosed to London Stock Exchange today:

A joint venture vehicle formed by Icelandic financial group Exista hf

(“Exista”) and Chris Ronnie has acquired a 29% shareholding in JJB Sports plc

(“JJB”), a UK general retailer of branded sports goods and related products, at

a price of 275 pence per share, valuing the total investment at approximately

₤190 million. The equity interest in the joint venture vehicle is owned equally

between Exista and Chris Ronnie.

This 29% shareholding has been acquired from the principal founders of the

business, the Whelan family.

In addition, Chris Ronnie will assume the role of Deputy CEO with immediate

effect.

Chris has over 25 years' experience within the international sports industry

having previously worked with Sports Division, JJB Sports Plc, Umbro

International Limited and SportsWorld International Limited.

Commenting on his new appointment, investment and relationship with Exista,

Chris Ronnie said:

“I am delighted to be joining the Board of JJB, a company which I believe has a

very exciting future. Credit must be given to David Whelan and his family for

the success the company has achieved and building it to its current leading

retail position. In addition, I look forward to working with Exista, and also

with Kaupthing Singer & Friedlander which has provided finance and facilitated

Apart from this bit:

But, while a well-placed Rovers source confirmed the trustees' advisers, Rothschild, ARE still in active talks with a number of interested parties in regard to a possible takeover, the Lancashire Telegraph understands those discussions have not as yet involved Ronnie, or anybody claiming to represent him.

The source said: "The sale process continues and there are a number of people talking to the trustees' advisers.

"However, Chris Ronnie's name has never cropped up to my knowledge at any stage in the process."

All the LT's story is lifted from this thread and the links provided.

For what it's worth the LT article represents exactly what Tom Finn said about the process in updating the Fans' Forum last Monday night i.e. there are people talking to Rothschilds, but talks are at a very early stage. Obviously we did not mention Chris Ronnie's name then but I think that if something significant was happening then we would have got a slightly different message from Tom. Of course, a week is a long time in football takeover stories...

I'm really not sure that putting somebody's number out like that is too bright an idea...

Still, he is an approachable chap.

PS. The story was checked before it was printed.

Your suggesting there that Ronnie, or someone close to him has confirmed your story then?

Out of interest, are you expecting to hear anything more on this story soon?

I think the correct way to manage this new rumour about a potential takeover is to await a proper announcement from within BRFC.

After all, we all saw the reaction of fans when Dan Williams was identified as being apotential buyer/investor, Blackburn and its surrounding areas nearly ended up being twinned with Bridgened :unsure:

You do follow Rovers, don't you Eddie?

Well If all you were saying is that they are doing a good job of keeping the likes of Ashley away from the club then that is a fair statement, if you were saying that they are actually doing a good job overall then I disagree. The trustees are fairly awful "owners". The only reason why any of our supporters are in the least bit content with them is because they have the good fortune of "carrying on" Jack Walker's legacy. If you ignore what Walker did for the club and view the trustees almost as a new set of owners, then you can't help but feel they are running a premiership club as if they owned a league 1 club, in terms of the amount they invest and the way they handle certain aspects of the business.

Very soon has passed. Any news yet???

Very soon means ongoing. From the calls I am getting there is quite a lot happening and some shrewd moves being made.

But the bottom line will be what they come up with in terms of cash - and what the Trustees want.

By the way, Mike Ashley is not involved as far as I'm aware.

I do wonder about some of the Trustee cheerleaders at times...

Well If all you were saying is that they are doing a good job of keeping the likes of Ashley away from the club then that is a fair statement, if you were saying that they are actually doing a good job overall then I disagree. The trustees are fairly awful "owners". The only reason why any of our supporters are in the least bit content with them is because they have the good fortune of "carrying on" Jack Walker's legacy. If you ignore what Walker did for the club and view the trustees almost as a new set of owners, then you can't help but feel they are running a premiership club as if they owned a league 1 club, in terms of the amount they invest and the way they handle certain aspects of the business.

WHo are you comparing us to? I would say we have invested just as much money as the other town clubs like Bolton, Reading and Wigan. You could argue Fulham and Portsmouth get much more money invested but they are in bigger cities where they can charge more money for a ticket.

The trustees already take a loss on us. And, in their defence, they seem to have built a very solid managerial team who run the club. Essentially you are looking for someone to take more of a loss on us whilst looking to maintain that stability. I wonder if such a person exists.

No point in pumping millions in like Fayed if you appoint idiots and interfere. To my mind the only example of a club doing something "we could do" is Portsmouth (But to be fair they are looking to expand pretty massively which is not a model available to us). But then they are now up for sale. Not stable...

The trustees should get a lot of credit for keeping things on an even keel. It is on this that John Williams and ultimately Mark Hughes can build upon.

I would like someone to come in with more money also but very definately an individual who wants to run things sensibly.

We're on an even keel because we've been fortunate enough to have had Williams and two managers who have kept us in the premiership and actually both done quite good jobs. The trustees ensure that we don't go under, but as far as I can tell, although I admit that I am no expert on this matter, that is about all that they do. Yes, they take a loss, but it isn't their money and really they don't invest enough in the club to really allow it to have a chance of developing. I know that Jack Walker always wanted the club to stand on its own two feet, but given the current state of affairs, in order for that to happen there has to be an initial investment. The only way that this club could possibly survive long-term would be for it to be taken to the next level first. That simply isn't going to happen with the trustees. In fact, the most likely prediction is that things carry on as they are until eventually our relatively small summer signings won't hit 20 goals and we'll end up being relegated.

In fact, the most likely prediction is that things carry on as they are until eventually our relatively small summer signings won't hit 20 goals and we'll end up being relegated.

The last one is at 15 goals the one the summer before that hit over 20 so you never know do you.

If you ignore what Walker did for the club and view the trustees almost as a new set of owners, then you can't help but feel they are running a premiership club as if they owned a league 1 club, in terms of the amount they invest and the way they handle certain aspects of the business.

Even for you this is a really silly comment. If you ignore what Walker did for the club? Jack Walker that is to you. It's very Monty Python don't you think. Yes but apart from the premier league, world class stadium, world class players and best years many fas ever had...what has Walker done for Blackburn.

I'm not suggesting that everthing the club do is a success far from it, but if you want to have a serious debate and drop nonsense comments like that in then you deserve every bit of mocking you should undoubtedly get.

That's true, but I don't think we'll see this trend continue for the next 10 seasons.

Football is football, and relegation is part of that. It will be a monumental achievement for any club our size to stay in the top flight for 15 years. How many clubs can calim that at the moment? All massive city teams. We, like all smaller clubs, will eventually get relegated. All clubs but the cartel of top teams will, lets not delude ourselves, even some of them if they are daft like West ham, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday. However if we behave sensibly we can continue to be a powerful outfit for a while.

We are a top ten team. We have a good manager. It looks like we will have a few quid to spend. We have a lot of talented players. Lets not run away with ourselves. If whoever comes in is the right sort then go for it but lets not be desperate about it. You can make some poor decisions when you are desperate.

I can't really see what we can realistically expect in terms of ownership. To me having an owner who is willing to to consistently take a loss without unbalancing the club, panicking and wanting to offload is a goodthing. If we get someone in who is after money - whether that be from TV money or resell value - it is a tricky business. The atmosphere of stability will be lost in the boardroom.

Perhaps this is why the sales talks consistently produce nothing. We have a pretty sweet deal now, which is hard to better.

Even for you this is a really silly comment. If you ignore what Walker did for the club? Jack Walker that is to you. It's very Monty Python don't you think. Yes but apart from the premier league, world class stadium, world class players and best years many fas ever had...what has Walker done for Blackburn.

I'm not suggesting that everthing the club do is a success far from it, but if you want to have a serious debate and drop nonsense comments like that in then you deserve every bit of mocking you should undoubtedly get.

Wooosh!

Read it again.

I didn't mean ignore in the sense that you don't include it in the history or appreciate it, I meant that if you don't consider the trustees to be a part of the Walker legacy then you won't view in them in the same light. Many seem reluctant to get rid of the trustees, not because of what they have done, but because of what Jack Walker did. I can understand that point of view and I do appreciate that they provide us with a fair amount of financial safety, but when it comes to actually competing in the premiership in the long-term they simply don't provide enough funding.

Let's just say that had Jack Walker sold the club 10 years ago and the owners had behaved in exactly the same way as the trustees have then they wouldn't be very popular. Obviously they may be restricted by the trust and it may be unfair of me to be critical of them for something that they can't really control, but that doesn't change what the end result is.

Nicko so how many people or consortiums are interested at the moment?or how many of them,are serious contenders?It just seems that unless the trustees want more money,than what the club is valued at,or they are not happy with who has approached them to buy.

is Sir Richard Branson among those making a bid for us? :rover:

Archived