BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roque Santa Cruz Thread

I'd say wait until next season until we judge who is better. Defenses seem to have adjusted to Berbatov (and Benni) this season, what's to say the same doesn't happen with RSC next season?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roque has been sensational for us this season- a model professional in every sense.

He's a year younger than Berbatov and has a better all round game. Spurs are reported to have said that if anyone matches their £30m reserve price for Berb, he will be off and they think he is going.

What the hell?! Thats ridiculous Philip - even for you!

I dont think it is. Berbatov has a superb 1st touch and the ability to dribble better than RSC, but he is physically weaker, has a dodgy and possibly disruptive temperament and is no way near as good with his back to goal or in the air. The best way I adopt for judging players is would I swap one for the other and my answer to that is NO.

I dont think it is. Berbatov has a superb 1st touch and the ability to dribble better than RSC, but he is physically weaker, has a dodgy and possibly disruptive temperament and is no way near as good with his back to goal or in the air. The best way I adopt for judging players is would I swap one for the other and my answer to that is NO.

That's the way I judged Shearer 'drog. I wouldn't have swapped him for anyone in the world, never mind Berbatov or Rocky.

I dont think it is. Berbatov has a superb 1st touch and the ability to dribble better than RSC, but he is physically weaker, has a dodgy and possibly disruptive temperament and is no way near as good with his back to goal or in the air.

Plus a big girly haircut and wears an alice band.

The only reason for bringing back hanging in my opinion

Nice to see Roque's comments in the press stoday. He has insisted his future lies at Blackburn and that he feels that he owes Mark Hughes something and that he just wants to concentrate on doing his best for us.

He has admitted he wants to play in Europe and win titles in the future, but his thoughts are with improving with Blackburn at the present moment.

Quite refreshing to hear!

Nice to see Roque's comments in the press stoday. He has insisted his future lies at Blackburn and that he feels that he owes Mark Hughes something and that he just wants to concentrate on doing his best for us.

That's what Bellamy said as well. I'm not comparing the two, but just making the point. I think that he will stay. It just annoys me that when our players have had a good season, they are automatically linked to United or Liverpool. Ashley Young has had a great season for Aston Villa, but he isn't getting linked to Liverpool. Yakubu has been banging them in for Everton, but the papers don't link him to United. It makes me sick. If someone wants him, it should cost them £20 million+.

Well done to Roque. He has been a class act this season. Whenever we signed him, I imagined him scoring a bag full of goals and it has been the case. His work rate and all round play is excellent and is easily one of the best strikers in Europe.

That's what Bellamy said as well. I'm not comparing the two, but just making the point. I think that he will stay. It just annoys me that when our players have had a good season, they are automatically linked to United or Liverpool. Ashley Young has had a great season for Aston Villa, but he isn't getting linked to Liverpool. Yakubu has been banging them in for Everton, but the papers don't link him to United. It makes me sick. If someone wants him, it should cost them £20 million+.Well done to Roque. He has been a class act this season. Whenever we signed him, I imagined him scoring a bag full of goals and it has been the case. His work rate and all round play is excellent and is easily one of the best strikers in Europe.

Darren Bent £16.5m - £20m for Santa Cruz is a must! Typical Fergie, always buying other peoples gambles or great finds!

Well done to Roque. He has been a class act this season. Whenever we signed him, I imagined him scoring a bag full of goals and it has been the case. His work rate and all round play is excellent and is easily one of the best strikers in Europe.

Agree 100% with that. He seems like a guy that is genuinly grateful for the fresh start. Iv no doubt he will move on in future, but it wont be this summer, unless we recieve a daft offer for him. And if bent is £16.5m then what is Roque worth?

Agree 100% with that. He seems like a guy that is genuinly grateful for the fresh start. Iv no doubt he will move on in future, but it wont be this summer, unless we recieve a daft offer for him. And if bent is £16.5m then what is Roque worth?

We like to use this kind of logic a lot, but unfortunately the premise is flawed.

You see, Darren Bent is NOT worth 16.5 million.

Roque was voted Player of the Year at last night's BRDSC awards. We popped along and it was a very good and very well attended event. It was interesting to see which players attended and how they reacted to the fans: RSC, Samba and Derbyshire each seemed very at home amongst the support, moved easily from one group to another and came over as genuinely decent people. I was disappointed, and surprised, to note Tugay and Friedel appeared to attend for 10-15 minutes and then disappear, if I asked I'd have had both of them down as two who would stay for quite a while.

Roque was voted Player of the Year at last night's BRDSC awards. We popped along and it was a very good and very well attended event. It was interesting to see which players attended and how they reacted to the fans: RSC, Samba and Derbyshire each seemed very at home amongst the support, moved easily from one group to another and came over as genuinely decent people. I was disappointed, and surprised, to note Tugay and Friedel appeared to attend for 10-15 minutes and then disappear, if I asked I'd have had both of them down as two who would stay for quite a while.

I to am surprised at your comments regarding Tugay and Friedel, however, since when did the modern day player have any concideration for the fans.

Having listened to how the General Manager of Juve handles these sorts of things might be worth sharing but obviously the calls on Juve players are of a different magnitude to those at Rovers.

The fan/commercial events are always secondary to football considerations REGARDLESS of the money. In fact that was a motivation behind setting up Juve TV so the club could manage media exposure according to the Football Club's needs and not according to the demands of the commercial media. They knew they would make money out of JTV but the takeoff surprised them.

He looks at his players in three categories:

- those who love the fan/media work and cannot do enough to make themselves available and are good at it.

- those who are OK but have a drawback- poor linguistic skills, shy (one has no sense of direction and always gets lost- seriously!) etc and need their appearances carefully managed so the public/media are not disappointed and the player not damaged/upset.

- those he will only let near the media/public under highly controlled circumstances

Of course, the public's demand for individual players is not matched to his categories and some of the most popular come into the last group.

The ones who are best with the public/media he carefully rations or otherwise they'd become media/appearance freaks and not Juve footballers. One of the tricks he uses is mixing it up with players scheduled to "drop in and leave" events so the fans can say they saw them in person whilst not putting a strain on the players' private time and ability to have a quiet dinner amongst themselves or with family the same evening.

I'd therefore look at Brad and Tugs dropping in last night as an added bonus given there were three players there all evening rather than a cause to moan about Brad and Tugs.

Brad is always very friendly and approachable but he rarely stays very long at any of the events. It was nice to see the Academy lads there as well. I think Bentley (last year) was the best mixer, he went around from table to table but he was not there last night. Aaron (the Axe!) is a great guy, as are they all. They are a credit to our club. It was a very enjoyable night, and the lads seemed to enjoy their time there. We had a good laugh with Morten, was trying to take pictures but there seemed to be a sort of halo and ghosting over his head as he was standing under one of the lights at the time!

Well done all concerned. Now all we need is a raised, dry platform in a nice position in one of the stands for the disabled wheelchair supporters as although we are lauded for our provision for disabled fans many of them find it difficult to see pitchside and they get all the rain as well!

I'd therefore look at Brad and Tugs dropping in last night as an added bonus given there were three players there all evening rather than a cause to moan about Brad and Tugs.

I wasn't moaning, just observing or at least trying to. I don't often come into direct contact with the players so gain a general impression of them from a distance. I really enjoyed watching them last night. Samba is huge, smiling all the time and seems very gentle, Derbyshire, a young man, was very approachable and relaxed and RSC was clearly comfortable with everyone as well.

I'd have expected Tugay, Friedel, Nelsen, MGP, to be similarily relaxed and to spend a lot of time at this sort of event. So it's not a criticism just my impression of the players' personalities gained through the media, on pitch actions, etc.

Had a quick look and we've scored:

2 x Bolton (H)

1 x Sunderland (H)

1 x Reading (H)

1 x Birmingham (H)

1 x Larissa (H)

1 x Birmingham (h)

So that's 7. Have we missed any?

EDIT: Benni missed one at Wigan. Matty missed one at Villa. Any others?

23 goals in your first season in England - and not being a penalty taker is incredible.

I'd be interested to know how many goals Alan Shearer got just from open play for us.

:rolleyes: you cant mention shearer,eddie and shilletto wont like it.Its living in the past :rolleyes:

my lad asked me who was best rsc or shearer, i said shearer and he asked my mates to tell him about shearer he loves learning about the old stuff.

rocky has done awsome this season and hope he continues it next season too....i have a german mate who i met in denver who is a bronco fan too,he really slated us for buying him and he said he was awful,ive given him some stick for his remarks haha

Archived