BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roque Santa Cruz Thread

23 goals in your first season in England - and not being a penalty taker is incredible.

And just one more goal and he's level with what Benni scored last season. As Hughes put it, pound for pound, the best buy of the season!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see how Ronaldo handles a serious injury and has a season like this one three years running- then he will be comparable with Shearer at Rovers.

Roque is good enough to stand comparisson with Sutty as his best and seeing as how highly I rated Sutty that is high praise indeed.

Roque being such a great guy is a big bonus as well.

Roque is good enough to stand comparisson with Sutty as his best and seeing as how highly I rated Sutty that is high praise indeed.

I'd agree with that. Sutty and RCS are very similar players.

Shearer was a one off and head and shoulders above the pair of them, not so much ibn ability as much as in his sheer bloody minded determination to score goals and be 'the man'. Week in week out we saw him score a goal and ram the 'You'll never score for England' taunts of opposing supporters back down their throats within a few minutes of em starting on him? It cannot have been just coincidence.

I'd agree with that. Sutty and RCS are very similar players.

Shearer was a one off and head and shoulders above the pair of them, not so much ibn ability as much as in his sheer bloody minded determination to score goals and be 'the man'. Week in week out we saw him score a goal and ram the 'You'll never score for England' taunts of opposing supporters back down their throats within a few minutes of em starting on him? It cannot have been just coincidence.

I agree, Sutty and Roque are very similar indeed, though Roque i think has slightly more pace.

Shearer is head and shoulders above in my opinion of every striker ever to play for Rovers. He really had it all when he played for us, a complete centre forward.

Can I just say that when I asked how many goals in open play Shearer got for us - I was just saying how well Roque has done.

I wasn't for one minute saying he was as good as Shearer.

Unfortunately we'll never have another one as good as Shearer in my life time.

23 goals in your first season in England - and not being a penalty taker is incredible.

I'd be interested to know how many goals Alan Shearer got just from open play for us.

I think it was 12 pens in the title season, for a total of 34 goals from 42 games. RSC ftw!

what's ftw?

From the Urban Dictionary -

3. ftw

For The Win

Commonly used among geeks to express their enthusiasm for something, especially in IRC.

a ) Cola is best

B ) nope, Pepsi is way better

a ) Cola FTW!

Roque managed an average of 5 goals per season at Bayern...

It just goes to show with a decent training and fitness schedule and playing week in week out can do. Though Roque also has the build, attributes and the mentality in his favour to suceed in the prem.

Yes, but imagine if he's gone to West ham or Newcastle! He'd probably only have played in a handful of games and people would be saying "What a waste of money". We definitely seem to have one of the best medical teams around.

From the Urban Dictionary -

3. ftw

For The Win

Commonly used among geeks to express their enthusiasm for something, especially in IRC.

a ) Cola is best

B ) nope, Pepsi is way better

a ) Cola FTW!

Thank you T4E.

The world is a sad place sometimes...

By the way, along a similar line to the English thread in ICBINF, it really annoys me when people distinguish between cola and pepsi. Pepsi is simply a subset, Coke is what they are talking about, but Coke, like Pepsi, is a cola (hence Pepsi Cola Coca-Cola).

(I understand that you didn't actually write that and that this rant has taken the Roque thread horribly off topic, but just had to get it off of my chest.)

My Dad used to insist to me that "Ipod" was the name of the technology, not a brand name, therefore you could buy a Sony Ipod. He also struggled to get his head around "Playstation" - once rejecting my requests for one with the line "You've already got about 5 playstations upstairs!"

I don't know what my point is, other than that old people are stupid.

Don't think that was his average, it was the most he scored in one season.

I was just going off what i read in an article by a paper praising Roque as a bargain of the season.

Going of his wiki entry (yeah i know its questionable but i can't find a site that displays his club stats)

1999-2000- 7 goals 32 appearances

2000-2001- 5 goals 19 appearances

2001-2002- 8 goals 32 appearances

2002-2003- 5 goals 14 appearances

2003-2004- 6 goals 37 appearances

2004-2005- 0 goals 4 appearances

2005-2006- 4 goals 15 appearances

2006-2007- 3 goals 35 appearances

Bayern Munich- 188 apperances- 38 goals

Rovers- 42 appearances 23 goals

Not sure if these figures are 100% accurate or not, if anyone knows any sites that display this information and it differs please feel free to post it. But if these figures as it stands are true, if he scores 16 goals next season he will have scored more goals in 2 seasons for Rovers than he did in 8 seasons at Bayern.

People should just be put down once they reach 40.

Hope that was said tongue in cheek as I'd be long dead if you meant it. Being old is a state of mind, not a biological fact. I've learnt to use computers, IAWs, mobile phones etc since I turned 40 as most of them weren't in common usage 14 years ago. My aunt texts me. She's in her 70s. People in their 80s send me emails. It's about being open to change.

I'm not sure that's 100% true :P

What's IAWs by the way?

Interactive white boards. And mentally it certainly is true. Obviously your body gets old and there's not a lot you can do about that but a willingness to learn and adapt can be present in older people and not in younger ones just as easily as the other way round.

Interactive white boards. And mentally it certainly is true. Obviously your body gets old and there's not a lot you can do about that but a willingness to learn and adapt can be present in older people and not in younger ones just as easily as the other way round.

I've never heard of them. What do they do that a non-interactive white board doesn't?

Archived