BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nfl 08

******************quote*******************************

From Scouts Inc. Insider:

RB Stewart headed to Denver?

Following up on a note from last week, RB Jonathan Stewart continues to be a hot topic in scouting circles as he moves back up the board following turf toe surgery in March. Stewart's surgery combined with several nagging injuries during his college career sent his stock sliding, but now that he has healed and tested for teams again it is clear most are comfortable that his toe is not an issue.

Denver (No. 12) and Carolina seem to have the most interest among teams in the top 20, and we're told the chances are good that the Broncos will take Stewart if their favorite offensive tackle prospect -- Chris Williams -- is off the board. Denver has always felt it could find running backs in the later rounds and turn them into 1,000-yard rushers in its zone blocking system, but that philosophy has not worked out in recent years and the Broncos obviously think Stewart would be a nice fit in their offense

***************unquote****************************************

That doesn't surprise me at all. Many people consider Stewart the top RB in this years draft (although most of them are allowing doubts over McFadden's character to influence that) so he would be an excellent fit for Denver.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather see them pick a LB and consistently use one RB. The problem last season was too much shifting of the starting RB. If Selvin Young was given a full season as starter he'd easily get 1300+.

I'd rather see them pick a LB and consistently use one RB. The problem last season was too much shifting of the starting RB. If Selvin Young was given a full season as starter he'd easily get 1300+.

Shaun Alexander has been told that the Seahawks will release him today.((( according to a seattle radio show)))

should we could we

how would ryan clady fit in the neck pony nation?

ive not seen him but read a lot of good things

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6

anyone in the uk having trouble with sky + for total access...or have i had a stella night?

Shaun Alexander has been told that the Seahawks will release him today.((( according to a seattle radio show)))

should we could we

I would pass and look to draft one of the above guys. I'm not surprised he's on the block, Julius Jones looked a strange acquisition if Alexander was to stay.

just watching total access ....didnt realise the times on draft day have been cut....

Yeah - 10 mins in the first round, 7 mins in the second round. I think it's to avoid someone looking as stupid as Brady Quinn for 8 hours this year....

how would ryan clady fit in the neck pony nation?

ive not seen him but read a lot of good things

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6

anyone in the uk having trouble with sky + for total access...or have i had a stella night?

Works fine for me usually - it misses the odd one, usually at weekends, but I tend to look out for that now and add it manually.

what would happen if something happened to him or the fish changed there minds ,is a pre draft contract binding? does this mean the rams are officially on the clock ,could rd 1 be done by the time the draft starts ?

imagine this board if we paid a player who hadnt played in prem $56 million

what would happen if something happened to him or the fish changed there minds ,is a pre draft contract binding? does this mean the rams are officially on the clock ,could rd 1 be done by the time the draft starts ?

imagine this board if we paid a player who hadnt played in prem $56 million

There's no backing out now, the Dolphins have to take Long. The chance of them changing their minds is minute anyway as they haven't negotiated with anyone else. The article above mentions the Texans signing Williams early in '06, but on that occasion they had agreed contracts in principle with him and Reggie Bush by Wednesday of draft week and only signed Williams to a binding contract the day before the draft.

You have to feel for the Rams, they should now have an opportunity to explore which pick will give them the best value for money, but it would appear the league don't want the draft being spoiled as a spectacle. It's not inconceivable that, with Miami having signed Long so early, the whole of the top 5 could be signed before Saturday if the Rams were allowed 'on the clock' now.

Abs - I know a lot of people are expecting Clady to go to the Ravens at number 8, and Denver to take Chris Williams out of Vanderbilt (which makes sense given his history with Cutler).

Yeah no doubt, but why are Miami able to unveil Long as a fully signed-up player before the draft? Surely the number 1 pick is a big deal and so that element of Saturday's suspense has gone.

From what I can gather, the main advantage of this is that there is no risk of a hold-out by Long and he will be in training camp from the off. Why can't other teams put themselves in the same position?

Yeah no doubt, but why are Miami able to unveil Long as a fully signed-up player before the draft? Surely the number 1 pick is a big deal and so that element of Saturday's suspense has gone.

From what I can gather, the main advantage of this is that there is no risk of a hold-out by Long and he will be in training camp from the off. Why can't other teams put themselves in the same position?

You're exactly right. As I said, it'll be in order to protect the secrecy of the rest of the draft and avoid everything coming out before Saturday. It's actually very likely that the Rams will now start negotiations with whoever they decide they want, and the league will expect it I'm sure, they will just be under orders not to confirm anything before they're on the clock. In theory, it may actually work in the Rams favour. They can now take more steps to firm up who they are going after, but none of the teams picking after them will be aware, putting everyone else at a distinct disadvantage.

The ridiculous thing about it is that it seems a no brainer that they are going to take Chris Long, there aren't many people waiting with baited breath to see who the Rams select.

If they just put in place a rookie wage cap like you elsewhere then this wouldn't be a problem. I know that they have had problems with this in the past, but it really is the only way that the draft will ever work properly again. He's now the highest paid lineman in the NFL, that just isn't right. Getting a top draft pick is more of a burden than a blessing.

I'm looking forward to this tonight, should be a lot going on. The Chiefs trading Jared Allen to Minnesota has stirred things up as there is plenty of speculation that KC will be willing to trade one of the two first round picks they now have. It looks like Jeremy Shockey may also be on the trading block, will be interesting to see what the Giants are looking for in order to make that happen.

I'm still sticking with Chris Long going to the Rams at 2, with Dorsey going to ATL at 3 (I think they'll pass on Matt Ryan and take Flacco or Brohm with a later pick). The Raiders should take McFadden at 4 but I still maintain hope they'll pass, if they do it'll be so that they can take Vernon Gholston. No point talking about 5 as I can really see the Chiefs trading out of that spot.

Denver look certain to take Clady, who is clearly the second best OT available. I really hope they take Ray Rice in the second round, he should still be around and looks a great prospect.

Anyone else care to throw any predictions out there? I don't want to be the only one being laughed at when it's all over :rolleyes:

american reckons clady will have gone ,i think he's ours.mayock reckons mcfadden will drop to 12,cant see it myself.Who is going to drop ,i have a feeling ryan may if he doesnt end up at the jets.I thing long is nailed on at #2.

I would be over the moon if McFadden dropped to 12 but I can't see it. If the Raiders pass on him there's no way he'll get past the Jets. Same goes for Matt Ryan - its hard to see how the Ravens could justify not taking him at 8 if he's still there.

Archived