BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nfl 08

Ryan was a PR pick in a way that Brohm couldn't be. Besides Brohm scares me, we hasn't very capable this season, and the only thing that creally changed was he lost a coach who apparenly couldn't hack the NFL. Besides, you think Blank wanted to touch someone from Louisville after last season?

Thats a good point, the Petrino connection hadn't even occured to me.

I can definitely see the positive statement that taking a franchise QB at number 3. I just don't think Matt Ryan is of that calibre.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ryan looked he was going to face a firing squad rather than go up in front of the cameras to make millions,think his face showed to me that he doesnt like the pressure of it all and if he reacts like that in play off footy hes out.

bloody hell matt,what vick did was a disgrase and i would(without looking up players crimes) guess that what hes done ranks up there with the vilest.Tell me why he deserves to get the accoldaes that these sportsmen and role models get

Abs, have to disagree with you on this one. I am a dog owner, but in the community Vick grew up in, dog fighting is about as normal as bullfighting is in Spain. He broke a law, yes. He deserves to be in prison, but he also deserves the chance to work once he gets out. I look at it this way - if Ray Lewis can play football, anyone can.

If we believe that the judicial system dishes out proper punishment, you serve your time and then you are free to live your life so long as you don’t reoffend then why shouldn’t Vick be allowed to play football? The only reason you don’t want him to play again is because he makes a lot of money and his occupation is the public spotlight, had he been working on the factory floor you wouldn’t have the same view, to me that isn’t really fair. Athletes, particularly American Footballers, are quite often involved in drugs, shootings and forms of gang activity and, as much as I love dogs, those crimes are far more serious for me.

Is Vick in the clink for actual participation in dog-fighting or for strongly facilitating it? If it's the latter then his involvement in a despicable practice is no more serious than the actions, albeit unprosecuted, of people like Ray Lewis, Pacman Jones and Chris Henry. Darryl Strawberry beat up women for goodness sake. Sure Vick has been jailed but other sportsmen have been involved in far worse without serious, long-term repercussions on their playing careers.

Come on mate, you know it's not as simple as that.

Eddie summed it up perfectly - if he wasn't a famous athlete, no one would bat an eyelid at him getting his job back once "rehabilitated". By the time he gets out, he'll have done his time, and he'll deserve the chance to show he's learned his lesson. If he messes up again, I'm sure he'll be punished again.

As far as endorsements go - not likely.

Come on mate, you know it's not as simple as that.

Eddie summed it up perfectly - if he wasn't a famous athlete, no one would bat an eyelid at him getting his job back once "rehabilitated". By the time he gets out, he'll have done his time, and he'll deserve the chance to show he's learned his lesson. If he messes up again, I'm sure he'll be punished again.

As far as endorsements go - not likely.

On the other hand, many businesses or professional fields might think twice about hiring ex convicts. It works both ways. Principally, I agree that everyone deserves to get a second chance as long as dues are paid and time is served. However, he did do some ****** up things and the thing that irks me is that, even if he doesn't get endorsements, his pay will still be pretty good if he gets back - and there is the recognition that goes with being a QB. So I'm torn.

No you're absolutely right - but if the person is the best qualified for the job then they'll probably be put in the position. Michael Vick is an elite NFL QB, there's no doubt a team will take him. Hopefully the Browns :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

It'll be interesting to see what Long and McFadden make of Ryan's pay check now as they are negotiating their contracts...

But apparently, cap free season in 2010...so if Ryan sucks, they can get rid then and not lose to much on the deal?

It would make him easier to trade, but if he bombs then very few will be interested.

What they either need is for him to be great and justify the salary or to be good enough to generate interest, but not quite good enough that they could trade him without the fans turning on him.

If he is horrible then they will have a millstone around their necks for the rest of his contract, although not having a salary cap would mean that they would be able to find a playing solution, just not a financial one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived