BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth V. Blackburn

I just can't understand why Rovers fans don't like Souness.

IMO he is no doubt our best manager since Dalglish, and I think we played beter football under Souness than we do now, and of course we won a trophy.

The end was a shame, but I think that was largely down to personnel with good CVs not doing their job under him.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just can't understand why Rovers fans don't like Souness.

IMO he is no doubt our best manager since Dalglish, and I think we played beter football under Souness than we do now, and of course we won a trophy.

The end was a shame, but I think that was largely down to personnel with good CVs not doing their job under him.

Here here! I think the reaction when he left showed he was held in high regard even though he was losing the plot.

in my opinion mark hughes is a much better manager then souness

i think the style of football is better..his signings are just second to none..if mark hughes had half the money souness had i think we would win a trophy..on such limited funds mark hughes has turned us into a top ten side aiming for europe..

going off wikipedia..souness' time at liverpool was also disastrous - poor tactics, ill-judged transfer dealings and poor man management caused the decline of one of the greatest football clubs in Europe.

exactly what he did to blackburn -maybe thats why some of us dont like souness-because he nearly ruined us like liverpool..and i for one was pleased when he went to newcastle..

I am sure that Hughes has said that he wouldnt want the 2nd place because you have to start even earlier? Cant remember where I read that though :unsure:

How do Cocker??

You have to start in June for that place, club have confirmed they will definitely NOT go for it. Only ientering f they qualify via league placing.

That was in the fans forum minutes.

Elaberating on the Souness thing the biggest thing people forget is before he came Tony Parkes was about to sell Jansen to Rangers, and Duff and Dunn had both put in transfer requests (After the Stockport away game I remember) as they weren't playing.

Souness came, changed all that, and turned them into £30m + of talent, as well as being the three main reasons we got promoted. The signing of Friedel that season was also a bold move, as both Kelly and Filan were both deemed BETTER by most fans at that time.

However, Tony Parkes (correctly) remains a Blackburn hero, however, truth be told, had he remained in charge any longer at that time, we really could be somewhere different right now.

For me:

-----------------Freidel

Emerton--Nelsen--Samba--Warnock

------------Vogel----Reid

---Cruz---------Bentley----Dunn

-----------------Roberts

Subs: Brown, Ooijer, Pedersen, Derbyshire, McCarthy

That for me is an excellent team full of running and creativity if a little brittle. However I expect Hughes will stick with the side that played against Man Utd.

Im looking forward to this game. If we use this formation and get the front four into the final third consistently (the temptation to sit back will be massive) it will cause them problems. We will have to be careful for the sucker punch on the counter though. Thats what did us at Ewood and Portsmouth are experts at it.

Hughes will probably stick with the same formation as it clearly worked against United. Though with Portsmouth likely to play a similar formation with 5 men in midfield i wonder how effective the formation will be. Portsmouth are a very strong and powerful side and it will require a great deal of hard work and effort for us to win the midfield battle.

Hughes will probably stick with the same formation as it clearly worked against United. Though with Portsmouth likely to play a similar formation with 5 men in midfield i wonder how effective the formation will be. Portsmouth are a very strong and powerful side and it will require a great deal of hard work and effort for us to win the midfield battle.

Agreed. Its going to be very congested in the middle of the park. But if our wide players get up against their full backs then it will give us options. There will be no room in the centre. They have such a massive spine in Muntari and Diarra.

They have such a good squad I am a little suprised they haven't done a bit better this season in the Premiership.

Elaberating on the Souness thing the biggest thing people forget is before he came Tony Parkes was about to sell Jansen to Rangers, and Duff and Dunn had both put in transfer requests (After the Stockport away game I remember) as they weren't playing.

Souness came, changed all that, and turned them into £30m + of talent, as well as being the three main reasons we got promoted. The signing of Friedel that season was also a bold move, as both Kelly and Filan were both deemed BETTER by most fans at that time.

However, Tony Parkes (correctly) remains a Blackburn hero, however, truth be told, had he remained in charge any longer at that time, we really could be somewhere different right now.

Souness rescued us with some old-fashioned dictatorial management. This bolshy, egocentric style works on young players who are easily awed. However, when it comes to high profile, super rich, dare-i-say-it 'egotistical' players it simply failed. He fell out with all and sundry, which is just not acceptable. Even Ferguson doesn't go about things in such a tactless, divisive manager.

A manager who injures one of his own players - no matter how unprofessional that player has acted - has none of my respect. A manager who buys Lorenzo Amoruso is clearly dangerously dogmatic. A manager who has no tactical awareness despite having managed in the tactics-mad world of continental football, is clearly lacking brains and/or open-mindedness.

No one can deny that SOuness did some excellent stuff for us. But when you line his achievements up - are they much better than Steve McLaren at Boro? John Gregory at Villa? Peter Reid at Sunderland? In substantial terms, the answer is no. If you think Souness is a good manager, ipso facto, you think Stevie Mac, Gregory and Reid are good managers.

No one can deny that SOuness did some excellent stuff for us. But when you line his achievements up - are they much better than Steve McLaren at Boro? John Gregory at Villa? Peter Reid at Sunderland? In substantial terms, the answer is no. If you think Souness is a good manager, ipso facto, you think Stevie Mac, Gregory and Reid are good managers.

First of all, you're wrong.

McClaren and Gregory took teams who were mid to upper table Premiership clubs. Reid I'm not sure about.

Souness took a club in freefall, and took us to heights unimaginable.

The funny thing is, Newcastle and Southampton apart, where he was given little over a year, Souness has won trophies at every club he's managed. Say what you like, but you can't argue with that CV.

One final point to emphasise your incorrectness, the other managers have won one trophy between them.

Hate him or Love him he is part of our past and glorious history. He took us up, won the cup and took us into Europe.

Yes we had some bad times towards the end but believe me who can forget the season he took us up and who can forget Cardiff.

We have some debt to Mr Souness no matter what anyone thinks of him.

I cannot believe this argument still rumbles on. It is mainly because people don't like the man and his personality.

I don't think he is that great a manager to be honest. However, overall Souness did well at BRFC and whilst things ended sourly, I think we should be grateful for the job he did here.

Souness also still talks in high regard about Rovers.

Why do people hate him? I dont, it was going a little sour when he left so what is the problem?

We had some great times under Souness - Duff, Dunn and Jansen were amazing. We played some azazing foorball under him. Spurs away last game of the season still sticks in my mind now.

Personally, Hughes has done better with the limited resources available to him. But i think we played better football under souness. No douby people will have different opinions, but that is football.

Now, back onto the game at hand. Very tough game and i can see it being pretty tight. I am going to sit on the fence and a 1-1 draw.

We need to concentrate on set pieces, we let 2 of the smallest players on the pitch win 2 headers againts United, as you well know, Pompey have a big side for example, Kanu, Campbell, Diop etc.

who is this WE thingy???

youve made it clear your a plastic scouser!

it rovers @ pompey not liverpoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived