BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth V. Blackburn

One thing I will never get used to is the drunken vile idiot with the bell at Fratton Park. I'd like to send him along with Robert Mugabe on a rocket launcher to outer space.

Just out of interest were you at fratton at the weekend?

After some early bell ringing I didn't notice him at all. You hear it alot clearer on the tele.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's true, and we were sitting in front of it. Also noticed their drummer didn't sound that bad in the ground, but just watching the recorded match and it sounds really loud. Do they tape a microphone to it?

We had to sit with the Portsmouth fans in their disabled area, all went fairly well until I produced my flag and then I got called a few things I've never been called before................... :unsure: Oh boy are they sore losers!

I think the TV crew place the microphones near the Fratton End as thats where the main singing at Fratton Park comes from and i've lost count at how many times the TV pundits praise the Pompey fans for being amazing.

At Ewood i'm pretty sure the main microphones are placed near the Darwin End. I could be mistaken though!

Mum, my friend, a disabled Saints fan, got put in the Fratton End during the local derby and he got so much abuse that he vowed never to go back to Fratton Park ever again. He said he was scared stiff throughout the game due to all the abuse from the fans and having lots of things being thrown at him throughout the game. He was sat with 1 other Saints disabled fan (and their helpers) and he said when Pompey scored against Saints, a few fans ran down and tried to fight him and they hit the other disabled fan which reduced him to tears. They are a disgrace.

Tim, to give the stewards their due, they did try to find a way to get us into the end with Rovers supporters. As John can get a little way with crutches it would be simple if they just had a small gate at the front of the stand but that flight of steps is just too much. They would have looked after his disabled scooter for us. Anyway, he's determined to go next year and sit with our own supporters but goodness knows how he will achieve it!

It was much the same at Anfield too, although there is actually room for disabled supporters with the away fans they don't let them use it and they have to sit with the home fans.

Tim, to give the stewards their due, they did try to find a way to get us into the end with Rovers supporters. As John can get a little way with crutches it would be simple if they just had a small gate at the front of the stand but that flight of steps is just too much. They would have looked after his disabled scooter for us. Anyway, he's determined to go next year and sit with our own supporters but goodness knows how he will achieve it!

It was much the same at Anfield too, although there is actually room for disabled supporters with the away fans they don't let them use it and they have to sit with the home fans.

Could you sue the club for emotional distress?

If they have been threatened it seems outrageous that fans have to sit there, especially the less able bodied, as it appears has happened at other clubs.

Just out of interest were you at fratton at the weekend?

No my friend. I do go to a number of away games, but I wasn't at Fratton Park on Sunday. I watched the game on Sky. Perhaps the bells did sound worse on TV than they did live at the ground.

The twits at Sky probably have a microphone situated close to the bell-ringing idiot, which makes it seem worse.

Westwood is a complete and utter prat.

Apparently he found a very very old book through his ex employment as a book restorer and managed to sell it for a few thousand pounds, in fact a very very good few thousands of pounds. When he got interviewed about it he said he would put money into a charity but didnt and went back on his word. Thats why he is despised.

That story doesn't surprise me Roverite. The greedy bugger has even wrote an autobiography (below). If I was a Portsmouth fan, I would avoid his book like the plague. I wouldn't give a penny to this drunken lout who likes urinating on seats.

9780955039485.jpg

I wonder if the link below is the Westwood family business.

The Westwood bookshop

Having previously been based in Petersfield I am not too sure that that shop is the one he works for although I could be wrong. I think that shop is a very much respected outfit and is part of old Petersfield heritage.

In any case I do feel sorry for Mrs Westwood !

Could you sue the club for emotional distress?

Normally I'd laugh at such a comment but when you consider the tens of millions these clubs rake in every year it's an absolute scandal at the way they treat some fans . They should be sued on discrimination grounds or failure to ensure safety ...... it's not as if it'd cost too much in the scheme of things to improve conditions .

I have to say I'll sit with the home fans if we have to rather than miss the match although obviously I'd rather be with our own fans. It does rather seem like a form of discrimination though, and in some stadiums you can't even see your own fans.

I have to say I'll sit with the home fans if we have to rather than miss the match although obviously I'd rather be with our own fans. It does rather seem like a form of discrimination though, and in some stadiums you can't even see your own fans.

RM,

This type of story makes my blood boil.

Under the DDA, it is unlawful for a service provider (i.e. PFC) to treat disabled people less favourably than other people for a reason related to their disability.

At the least I would say PFC owe you:

1. an apology in writing

2. a refund

3. an undertaking that they will take reasonable steps to ensure this will not happen in future (under the new legislation service providers must make 'reasonable adjustments' to the way they deliver their services so that disabled people can use them)

Failure or refusal to provide a service that is offered to other people to a disabled person is discrimination unless it can be justified. Given the financial resources that Blue Phil refers to (see previous post), I hardly see how PFC can justify such a breach of duty to provide reasonable facilities for travelling disabled supporters.

Sadly, given the nature of some football supporters, placing you with home fans was bound to lead to the inconvenience; discomfort or indeed loss of dignity which the legislation refers to. Certainly it would be considered unreasonable by able bodied supporters to endure similar difficulties.

Bottom line: You can’t treat a disabled person less favourably because of their disability.

Steps to think about:

• Complain in writing to the service provider (Portsmouth FC).

• If unsatisfied with step 1; refer a complaint to the Equality & Human Rights Commision (despite it's awful sounding name)

• Raise the matter in writing with the local MP Jack Straw (at his constituency office in Suddell Cross if you want to receive a reply!)

Quite true in your case.

Last time I saw your mum down Suttys, she was saying that you needed to get out a bit more.

Sorry tck? Whats that mean? my mums never been to sutty's.... and it shut down long ago I think.:blink:

I was just about to poke fun at our brown nosing local Labour MP but I remembered that it's seriously frowned upon to criticise anything or anyone to the left of centre anymore on this board so I edited it out. Unfortunately you can only edit not delete so I had to put something down. :mellow:

Thank you, tcbk, that advice is useful. I was thinking of writing reports on all grounds visited re disabled supporters and we intend to go on all away matches next season.

I must say here the stewards in all cases have been very nice bar one and the stewards at Portsmouth particularly helpful. We've had some very enjoyable experiences over the last season.

I'm pretty sure though that most grounds would be able to justify what they offer in one way or another; they provide facilities even if they are with their own fans, and usually tickets are at a special rate. Even at places such as Man City, with our own fans and facilities look good but helpers have to put up with a constant stream of stewards, police, and fans wandering in front of them, it's so bad that you don't really get to see the match and the police get irritable if the helper's seats are occupied because that's were they usually sit :angry2: .

Archived