BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Coming Seasons...

Given the way transfers fees are increasing all the time, my friend - a fellow poster on here - suggested that perhaps Hughes is possibly trying to mould Reid back into a right-back. Given that he doesn't ever go forward in the middle, and that Emerton was often too far forward at right-back, perhaps contributing to Smaba and Nelsen's poor season by being out of position, is it worth a go? Emerton I seem to remember one of the players saying is the fittest in the squad and has acquitted himself very well against both Manchester United and Liverpool in CM. Might be an economical solution.

Given the way transfers fees are increasing all the time, my friend - a fellow poster on here - suggested that perhaps Hughes is possibly trying to mould Reid back into a right-back. Given that he doesn't ever go forward in the middle, and that Emerton was often too far forward at right-back, perhaps contributing to Smaba and Nelsen's poor season by being out of position, is it worth a go? Emerton I seem to remember one of the players saying is the fittest in the squad and has acquitted himself very well against both Manchester United and Liverpool in CM. Might be an economical solution.

Not sure if Reid has enough pace to burn to ever become a more than half decent right back. I thought he played well (with a little help from his friends) against Man U but he's shown before that he's not top caliber in that position, too many rash tackles too.

Emerton has played CM for Australia and is, as you're saying, extremely fit. He's got the engine to burst forward and can also do a good job defending but I'm not sure his distribution and general ball control is that of a really good dynamic box2box midfielder. He's certainly played well beyond my expectations, and I think it's worth giving it a try, but right now I think it's better to buy a CM and keep Emerton at RB rather than buying a RB and playing Emo at CM.

Emerton has been very good at right back this season. I think the reversal was a thing just for Man Utd to give Rovers a physical edge in that position on Ronaldo.

Reid has been well below par wherever he has played. He needs to improve desperately seeing as the summer will probably see us take at least one more central midfielders and Vogel looks decent.

That said with a proper pre season behind him hre could refind himself. He is a good player on his day.

Emerton has also been very poor at right-back this season.

Great attacking wise, and man to man on his winger, but some bad positional play and terrible defensive clearences (esp heading) have cost us dear in some game.

Emerton has been very good at right back this season. I think the reversal was a thing just for Man Utd to give Rovers a physical edge in that position on Ronaldo.

Reid has been well below par wherever he has played. He needs to improve desperately seeing as the summer will probably see us take at least one more central midfielders and Vogel looks decent.

That said with a proper pre season behind him hre could refind himself. He is a good player on his day.

I think that Reid's better heading ability is probably what got him the nod (no pun intended). Ronaldo and Giggs are excellent in the air - and Emerton has often been found wanting in that respect. Also - though Reid started at RB - he and Emerton switched positions to good effect during the match.

Though off the Reid topic - it was interesting to see how the formation enabled Bentley far more freedom in centre midfield that he has previously had - partly (IMO) due to Vogel

I think that Reid's better heading ability is probably what got him the nod (no pun intended). Ronaldo and Giggs are excellent in the air - and Emerton has often been found wanting in that respect. Also - though Reid started at RB - he and Emerton switched positions to good effect during the match.

Though off the Reid topic - it was interesting to see how the formation enabled Bentley far more freedom in centre midfield that he has previously had - partly (IMO) due to Vogel

After watching the match again i'm pretty sure the reasonings behind the main surprises were as follows:

Reid at right back - Physically very strong, good in the aird - combat Ronaldo or Giggs.

Emerton in centre mid - screened the back four, very disciplined and does not dive into challenges.

Roque on the right - Won every header against Evra allowing us to build attacks.

Robbo up front - worked all day and kept two centre halves occupied thus not allowing them to play their way out.

I think it gives us a very interesting dynamic.

Emo and Bentley tend to work well together in terms of causing the opposition confusing with their runs and movement. Reid is more than capable of droping back and supporting/covering when those 2 burst forward. These 3 rotating and overlapping and covering for each other is a difficult attacking force to be faced with if you are the other team, since all three can capably cover in all 3 locations central mid, right wing, right back... with the potential exception of bentley in the back role.

I don't disagre that we are occasionally poor in the air in defence, but I can't chaulk that all up to Emo. He's not stellar there, but we've also seen players marked by Nelsen, Benni and others score set peice headers, so to lay that blame solely on Emo is harsh on the man.

I liked teh display from Reid-Emo-Bentley vs. ManU and would be upset to see that changed this summer. It hink Vogel-Reid in teh center witha full healthly offseason for both will be miles better than what they displayed vs. ManU, which was encouraging.

Emerton has also been very poor at right-back this season.

Great attacking wise, and man to man on his winger, but some bad positional play and terrible defensive clearences (esp heading) have cost us dear in some game.

I just don't agree with that. Not quite as good as warnock has been, but not far off. Especially in the first half of the season he was excellent.

Justin Hoyte would be one of the top names on my shortlist if I was Hughes this summer. He's got all the attributes to be a top full-back but doesn't get a look in at Arsenal, even when they have injuries Wenger has preferred to put Song/Senderos in at centre back and push Touré to full back.

He's 23 now so must be considering leaving soon, and Arsenal do seem to sell their young English players for peanuts (Bentley, Sidwell, Harper, Upson) so he could be within our budget. Seeing what we've done for Bentley's career may be a big selling point too.

I don't feel Reid looks comfortable at right back. He's only really played two games there this season and I accept that they have been against Man U and Arsenal 2nd string. However he has shown he struggles with some of the qualities needed.

Tackling - his tackle for the Rooney 'penalty' was very rash.

Heading - got sucked way under the ball, jumped and missed the header for Arsenals first goal.

Positioning - He's been caught out of position a few times in those two games and doesn't have Emerton's pace for recovery. I think in the Arsenal game he played them onside a few times.

Given time in that position Reid may improve but, at best, he'll only ever be an average full back and not as good as Emerton is. People may not think Brett is great but he's still the best defender at the club. Unfortunately at the moment he may well be one of the best central midfielders too. :blink:

I don't feel Reid looks comfortable at right back. He's only really played two games there this season and I accept that they have been against Man U and Arsenal 2nd string. However he has shown he struggles with some of the qualities needed.

Tackling - his tackle for the Rooney 'penalty' was very rash.

Heading - got sucked way under the ball, jumped and missed the header for Arsenals first goal.

Positioning - He's been caught out of position a few times in those two games and doesn't have Emerton's pace for recovery. I think in the Arsenal game he played them onside a few times.

Given time in that position Reid may improve but, at best, he'll only ever be an average full back and not as good as Emerton is. People may not think Brett is great but he's still the best defender at the club. Unfortunately at the moment he may well be one of the best central midfielders too. :blink:

Give him time, ha, Reid has all the attributes to play full back but does he want to play their permenantly, its all down to Reidy he has the pace stature and energy but does he want to play their, that for me is the big question.

i like emerton in central midfield, i think he's done a good job.

one thing he does add is that much needed extra pace.

I've been saying that for a couple of years. One of the big complaints about him was once he got down the flanks, getting the ball, or himself inside. If he's already there...

Emerton a poor right back? Maybe two seasons ago, but certainly not now. Hughes has certainly brought the best out of the lad.

Reid isn't a right back, unfortunately. He is a very good central midfielder, when fit, but he isn't good enough at full back. He needs to get fit and reclaim his central midfield position, it would be to the detriment of his career if he played at full back for a prolonged period because he will never be that kind of player.

Emerton poor this season?? Im sorry but that is way wide of the mark.

In terms of effort there is nobody better. In terms of fitness there is nobody better. And in terms of playing fullback and midfield he has been very good and much improved under Hughes.

Archived