BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derby Preview

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We've not been like that at all this season. We've been great against teams in the bottom half - and poor against the teams in the top half.

I'm not sure about 'great', it was the recent draws against Fulham and ten-man Reading that effectively ended our European challenge. I still don't expect us to lose against Derby though, it's not even like they're putting up a decent fight in the games they're losing.

People are talking about Tugays swansong; If Manchester United win a certain game in Moscow three weeks today then the Derby game might be Hughes' swansong.

I'm sure a minimal requirement of being Manchester United boss is that you've won a trophy in your managerial reign, we're not even going to qualify for Europe this season. The Glazers aren't going to make an appointment based on sentiment, which is the only way Hughes would get the job at Old Trafford.

Rather uniquely, the thing I'm looking most to about this game, (apart from our seven goals :P ) is giving a great send off to a player from either side.

A true Rovers legend, Tugay, and although he maybe wasn't at Ewood long enough to be classed as a "legend" certainly one of my very favourites, Robbie Savage.

Rather uniquely, the thing I'm looking most to about this game, (apart from our seven goals :P ) is giving a great send off to a player from either side.

A true Rovers legend, Tugay, and although he maybe wasn't at Ewood long enough to be classed as a "legend" certainly one of my very favourites, Robbie Savage.

Agree,

Hughes should bring Tugay on at some stage during the second half providing the game is going to plan then substitute him with minutes to go for a final rousing farewell.

Agree,

Hughes should bring Tugay on at some stage during the second half providing the game is going to plan then substitute him with minutes to go for a final rousing farewell.

Al least five minutes to give him time to leave the pitch.

• Backroom
Al least five minutes to give him time to leave the pitch.

He has to do 3 laps of honour though Philip (you know how Toogs likes to milk the crowd :D ) ... 5 mins aint going to be long enough !!! :P

Had a think about this this week and I would like to see us line up like this:

-------------------Roberts

Pedersen----------Cruz----------Bentley

---------------Vogel----Tugay

Warnock-----Samba---Nelsen--Emerton

-------------------Freidel

Subs: Brown, Ooijer, Reid, Dunn, McCarthy

I wouldn't usually put Tugay in there but it will be the last game for the club in all likelihood and that formation should give him more than enough protection for some showboating. We should push right up the pitch so we are effectively playing three up front at almost all times with the fullbacks looking to get into midfield to provide width. Bentley should be predominantly on the right (there's no need to stick Cruz out there), and Cruz encouraged to stay a little deep for the ball to distribute it and run at the defenders at pace. Pedersen will be up there mostly to win balls in the air and protect the left flank.

Derby don't have the confidence to effectively get behind us, so if we can deny them space and force them into their half this should be a win. It won't be a stroll in the park though, they will hassle us and close us down so Tugay's old legs will need to cover a bit of ground yet.

3-1 Rovers for my money. I hope Toog's gets one. There is the potential there to play some excellent football.

:rover: JUST GOT NEWS THAT MY NEPHEW IS TO BE AWARDED WITH HIS <_< IRAQ MEDAL AT HALF TIME ALONG WITH OTHER MENBERS OF HIS REGIMENT :brfcsmilie:

Good news, Waggy, well done to nephew! Will be honoured to give the lads a good round of applause.

Has banana on ice written all over it don't it, players must be focused for this and not treat it like a training session, I know Arsenal did on Monday but that's Arsenal.

Like to see Santa Cruz hit a hat trick and get to 20 Prem goal this season

Rovers 4 Derby 1

Santa Cruz 3 Savage

Pedersen

This is of course after coming from a goal down like we seem to like doing.

The only thing that worries me slightly about the Tugay swansong is that Rovers being Rovers, won't actually recognise it.

What I mean is that we haven't heard anything about a new contract, and seeing as he hasn't played since February, plus signing Vogel, every Rovers fan is 95% sure that this will be his last season. But as it's not been made official yet by either Chairman, Manager or the legend himself, I've got a feeling that there won't be any recognition.

It would be great if they showed all the fantastic goals he's pinged in from 30 yds plus on the big screen before the game and at half time, or even the two teams doing a line up before the game to welcome him onto the pitch.

He's been a great servant to the blue and whites and definitely the most technically gifted player I've ever seen to grace Ewood he needs a proper send off and not just to leave with a quick wave towards the Blackburn end.

The only thing that worries me slightly about the Tugay swansong is that Rovers being Rovers, won't actually recognise it.

What I mean is that we haven't heard anything about a new contract, and seeing as he hasn't played since February, plus signing Vogel, every Rovers fan is 95% sure that this will be his last season. But as it's not been made official yet by either Chairman, Manager or the legend himself, I've got a feeling that there won't be any recognition.

It would be great if they showed all the fantastic goals he's pinged in from 30 yds plus on the big screen before the game and at half time, or even the two teams doing a line up before the game to welcome him onto the pitch.

He's been a great servant to the blue and whites and definitely the most technically gifted player I've ever seen to grace Ewood he needs a proper send off and not just to leave with a quick wave towards the Blackburn end.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport...rovers_deal.php

Lancashire Evening Telegraph saying nothing to be decided until the end of the season.

Rovers are wrong and are underestimating the fans feelings on the Tugay contract situation. In a season where the home entertainment has been at best average, this is potentially a lost opportunity for the club and supporters to a certain degree to show their appreciation to one of the most talented modern day footballers to have pulled on a blue and white shirt.

If I were Tugay I think that I would force the issue and state that in view of no contract being offered, Saturday will be his last game for Rovers at Ewood.

No problem with deciding not to offer him an extension, but for the benefit of all parties, please be up front.

Everyone deserves better.

Tugay, you are my Turkish Delight.

To be fair to Hughes and Williams, they obviously want to get a feeling whether the players they want next summer, are going to be available and willing. If the signs are good, then Tugay wont be kept on. They don't feel a decision can be made now and I personally can go along with that.

It would still be great to be able to give Tugay the reception/send off he deserves though. I'm sure the fans will make their feelings known to him whatever, before, during and after the game on Saturday.

Strange one really but all the more confusing in respect of ' Europe possibility' still an issue according to Hughes.

IMO if he thinks him good enough he would be playing, however if not what is the point of not deciding whether we will offer a contract or not, as he will more than likely not be playing anyway next season regardless.

Just hope there are irons in the fire to offer him some sort of role at the club preferably on the coaching side

I suppose part of it is whether he actualy want to stay. He is an outstanding player who is a fans favourite defianately, but he has never really come out in the press or anywhere and said he loves Rovers (unlike Freidel) and wants to stay past his playing days. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but we are sort of assuming he would want to stay in Blackburn and he has a long term affinity with the club and by extension the town. It is not really obvious that his feelings are that way inclined (although they could be). He might prefer a return to Gala or out of football completely once his boots go up and therefore access to the Premiership wages disappear.

That said he is clearly the most technically talented player to have turned out for Rovers in my lifetime. If Hughes feel he can pass on even a fraction of that we have to try to keep him, although it is quite possible he is not cut out to be a coach. This summer should hopefully be the one where we see the genuine "Tugay" replacement turn up at ewood so it would be nice if he can get the tips from the master himself.

Archived