BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes`s Buying

There was a comment on Sky yesterday about how Hughesy has picked up good players for little outlay. I was wondering if anyone can tell me or point me in the direction of a site that gives the info exactly what the team that we put out against pompey actually cost. I used to do collect this type of info many years ago but have lost the enthusiasm. Have we spent less than anyone else? it would be interesting to compare squad costs. Thanks in anticipation.

I always tend to look at soccerbase but it's not 100% accurate. We also seem to be going down the rout of the 'undisclosed' transfer fee. Seem to recall Sav on skysports letting the Bentley fee slip out I'm pretty sure it was 800k. I'd say our starting line up on Sunday may well have been the cheapest in the league that weekend. Derby's would probably be closest in price.

after a little googling it appears that our first 11 on Sunday cost around 15 million compared to Pompeys team costing around 32.5 million. Derby's first team on Saturday cost around the 8 million mark, but they also had a loanee playing in Ghaly so it would probably be nearer the 10 million mark as I'm suer he'd cost them a couple of million.

Darren 'lottagoals' Bent - 16.5 Million......absolutely flurkin mindblowing :o

The pure idiotic financial running of some Premierleague clubs beggars belief

'Fools and their money are soon parted'.

I realise that transfer fees may not now have any bearing on the wages paid out but I'm certain that a few club Chairmen really need to learn how to say no.

You have to remember as well that clubs get money to buy players by selling other players. Portsmouth sold Benjani for about the same as they bought Defoe I think. You need to look at the net spending over a period to say who has spent least. Whatever measure yuou use though we have punched well above our weight over the last few years.

You have to remember as well that clubs get money to buy players by selling other players. Portsmouth sold Benjani for about the same as they bought Defoe I think. You need to look at the net spending over a period to say who has spent least. Whatever measure yuou use though we have punched well above our weight over the last few years.

Defoe's on loan isnt he? With option to buy at the end of the sesaon.

People are also missing the crucial fact that 4 of the starting XI yesterday were souness buys.

Brad free

Emerton 2.5m

Reid 2.5 M

MGP 2 m + add onns

Portsmouth squad cost £44.5M. So much for Harry's wheeling and dealing.

Rovers £22.8M

Spurs £99.8M They should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute for not getting 30 points more than us

Not sure how much Hughes has spent but here are some examples of excellent business. But also credit must go to Williams and his team of negotiators.

Samba - £200k

Nelsen - Free

Vogel - Free

Bentley - £750k

Santa Cruz - £3.5m

McCarthy - £2.5m

Warnock - £1.25m

Hutton - £8.5m

Woodgate - £8m

Berbatov - £10.9m

Bent - £16.5m

Jenas - £7m

Thats £51m without even thinking that much into it. They also had a new £15m signing sat in the stands

Add to that list (Last 36 months only)

Luca Modric 15m

Kaboul 8.5

Zokora 8.2

Huddlestone 3m

Bale 10.5m

Chris Gunter 3m

Rocha 3.3m

Da Silva Gilberto 1.9

Ghaly 3m

Dean Perrett 2m

Malbranque 2.5m

Pascal Chimbonda 5.5

Kevin-Prince Boateng 5.4

Andy Reid & Micheal Dawson 8 m combined

Defoe's on loan isnt he? With option to buy at the end of the sesaon.

His transfer was a end of January window signing wasnt it?

£7.5m?

They have also raised £40m that I can think of through Carrick, Kanoute, Postiga, Davies ove rthe last 3 or 4 years, plus a million here and there with sale like Rasiak (wasnt he a free?)

Whilst they spend a lot, they have recouped a good amount as well.

Add to that list (Last 36 months only)...

Bazza, the huge problem with your list is the fees you have listed for young players. There's absolutely no way Tottenham will have paid the entire fee upfront for players like Kaboul, Boateng, Bale, Gunter or Perrett - the last three in particular. It will be a fraction of the fees you have quoted, with the rest being based on appearances and the success Spurs achieve.

Also, Defoe has signed Portsmouth permanently. They did it as a loan deal to get it all signed before the transfer deadline, because they knew negotiating a fee would have taken too long. A couple of weeks after the window closed they had agreed on a fee and therefore the permanent transfer of Defoe, which will kick-in the second his loan contact ends. That's why Portsmouth were unhappy that he wasn't allowed to play against Spurs, the rules ban loan players from playing against their own club, but since Defoe is now a Portsmouth player they felt he should have been granted permission to play.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me or point me in the direction of a site that gives the info exactly what the team that we put out against pompey actually cost. I used to do collect this type of info many years ago but have lost the enthusiasm. Have we spent less than anyone else? it would be interesting to compare squad costs. Thanks in anticipation.

From start of the season and with a few minor errors & omissions:

http://www.thebeautifulgroan.co.uk/blog/_a.../5/3208580.html

The commentator on Sunday also said something about Rovers having spent the LEAST amount of money last Summer which is probably true.

From start of the season and with a few minor errors & omissions:

http://www.thebeautifulgroan.co.uk/blog/_a.../5/3208580.html

The commentator on Sunday also said something about Rovers having spent the LEAST amount of money last Summer which is probably true.

The totals probably about right. Bentley 4m and Santa Cruz for free it says - but in reality they did probably cost 4m between them.

Bazza, the huge problem with your list is the fees you have listed for young players. There's absolutely no way Tottenham will have paid the entire fee upfront for players like Kaboul, Boateng, Bale, Gunter or Perrett - the last three in particular. It will be a fraction of the fees you have quoted, with the rest being based on appearances and the success Spurs achieve.

That could be said about all transfers these days couldn’t it? Do you really believe that Man Utd paid 16.5m up front for Carrick for example? No; the payments will be spread out with some performance relating clauses .So therefore if your argument is to stand, clubs will have to state the downayment only ( Say 8 million in carrick's example), because the rest of the payments will be made during different fiscal years

Apart from Chelsea or possibly United, their is no-one in the premiership that has spent anywhere near what spurs have done in the past 4/5 seasons, whether you Philipl or anyone else likes it. I hate Spurs with a vengeance, probably as much as I dislike Burnley & Newcastle. But you cant knock the boards ambition in the transfer market.

PhiliPL tried to make the point the other day that spurs have only spent 123 million in the last ten years, when it is holy apparent that in reality they have spent over that amount in the past three seasons alone

That could be said about all transfers these days couldn’t it? Do you really believe that Man Utd paid 16.5m up front for Carrick for example?

For established players like Carrick then yes, I believe Man Utd will pay £16.5 million. Hardly any transfer fees (Chelsea's maybe?) are paid straight away, the payments are staggered over a period of years usually. That's different to club performance/individual appearance related fees which will be heavily applied to very young players like Bale, Gunter and Perrett.

Hughes' deserves credit for his transfer dealings. However, you mustn't go overboard.

Take Samba and Nelsen for instance. As far as I know, no intricate research, imaginative foresight or sedulous scouting went into their signings. It was a simple case of an agent ringing the club and offering their client on a trial. Samba and Nelsen rock up at the training ground, do their stuff, Hughes is impressed and signs them up ASAP.

The signing of Roque Santa Cruz was, by contrast, very impressive in that Hughes identified a good value quality foreign player who has not played much recently, accepted the risk relating to his injury record and has got him to perform at Rovers. Admittedly, an agent may have originally brought the name to Hughes, who knows.

Hughes' deserves credit for his transfer dealings. However, you mustn't go overboard.

Take Samba and Nelsen for instance. As far as I know, no intricate research, imaginative foresight or sedulous scouting went into their signings. It was a simple case of an agent ringing the club and offering their client on a trial. Samba and Nelsen rock up at the training ground, do their stuff, Hughes is impressed and signs them up ASAP.

The signing of Roque Santa Cruz was, by contrast, very impressive in that Hughes identified a good value quality foreign player who has not played much recently, accepted the risk relating to his injury record and has got him to perform at Rovers. Admittedly, an agent may have originally brought the name to Hughes, who knows.

Take Nelsen for instance - had a trial at Charlton and was rejected. Samba hardly got a kick at Hertha Berlin. Warnock was a bit-part player at Liverpool. Vogel had been overlooked for over 6 months by most teams in Europe. Santa was looked at by a number of clubs - but only MH followed that up. Bentley wasn't getting a look in at Arsenal - and as far as I am aware we were the only EPL club to come in with a definite offer

MH transfer record is unbelievable - when he picks up free transfers - they are a success - when he spends money (Santa, McCarthy, Bellamy etc) they are a success.

Yes he does get some players in on trials - but his eye for a player (probably aided by his excellent back-room staff) has been unbelievable.

I struggle to think of a player that he has brought in that hasn't contributed in some way to our success. Berner is possibly the only first team fringe player that hasn't really done a lot - but he was only a free transfer.

It is amazing with his success around older players - that we haven't picked up more good young players (which would be my only criticism.

Yawn Rover 6.

Wind back to this debate yonks ago and your point about agents ringing was proved to be stupid then and just because you repeat it now doesn't make it any less stupid now.

Rovers get offered hundreds of players by agents every window. The fact is the club was sufficiently clued up to take Samba and Nelsen on trial and not several hundred other players.

Archived