BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Train Station At Ewood

tim ,not having a pop at you or starting a who goes doesnt go debate, but

how can you comment on somewhere you havn't been to,the public transtport system of blackburn or how long it takes to get there if i said bloody hell tim its a 3 hour walk and all the women have three tits would you believe me?

the roads arond ewood are single in and out and traffic is bad so more buses would make it worse.

how do you know its not worth the money and who would use it 24/7 when trains run.believe it or not quite a few people live around the ewood area.

why do we need another stadium im confused .?

mill hill staion which you reckon is 5 mins away is unmanned.

oh and bulding a station in darwin defeats the object as its still 24 hours away or so im told but the airport there i would presume is manned

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've actually been to Blackburn many times but haven't been to Mill Hill station so I didn't know that was unmanned. I'm sure on match days there are staff present.

The main station is only 20 mins walk away which is easy to get to and from the stadium. It also has a bus station there which would mean transferring fans to and from the bus station to Ewood Park on special coaches/buses would enable fans to avoid having to walk (which obviously is a big problem for some fans). Any way to decrease the amount of fans traveling by cars to the ground and replace with fans using buses to get there and home will obviously decrease the congestion on the road.

It isn't worth the money because it would have been built by now if it was.

I never said it wouldn't be used 24/7. I said the only times it would be used to the max is when Ewood Park is hosting a football game. If the station was there then of course locals would use it but why is there a need for another station when you have two within walking distance from Ewood Park?

I changed the word from stadium to station because I mis-wrote what I was intending to say. I did change my post 37 minutes before you posted a reply.

Again, I don't reckon Mill Hill Station is 5 minutes away, I was using the information from someone who was local to the area which I made clear earlier on.

Why do you feel the station would benefit Blackburn Rovers? Do you think building a station will be cheap? Why hasn't it been done already? Why do you feel Blackburn, a town, requires so many stations?

Now look you lot, it's a railway station not a train station.

As for a station for Ewood, it's a complete non-starter. Despite chronic road congestion and record numbers of passengers on the railways, government just ain't interested in increasing rail capacity.

Ask the Treasury to close the Blackburn - Manchester line and replace it with a road and they'll listen.

If you walk down shorrock lane and then turn right at the bottom onto Albert Street the walk to Ewood is entirely flat apart from the bit on Shorrock lane which is downhill on the way to the ground. Going up through Mill Hill to Livesey Branch Road is a much harder walk as you have to go up and down hill going too and from the ground. PS if Railtrack won't "upgrade" the line between Blackburn and Manchester Victoria to twin track (as it used to be) then i dont think there is a snowballs chance in hell of them putting a Station at Ewood. And ewood used to have a tram track to it. (behind the Blackburn End).. They were still there before the ground was redeveloped but trams hadn't run on them for a long time, as the last trams ran in Blackburn in 1949

, when they were replaced by buses

if its not worth the money it would have been built by now? so anything thats not built yet is a waste of money?them vue cinemas shouldnt be built because we used to have picture houses,its called progression tim.everyone is telling us to stop using cars well on match days i would defo 100% use it.

i apologise i thought you meant you hadnt been to blackburn before i apologise.

a station wouldnt just help the rovers it would serve the ewood community as well.

building a station cost.no idea but other parts of town have had a lot more spent on them than the ewood area.

why hasnt it been done before ive no idea,do you?

so many stations ? theres one in blackburn ,one at mill hill,one at cherry tree and one at pleasy.so its just one IN blackburn and 3 in the outlying areas.what about southampton or london how many stations in london?

I'm pretty sure I remember the tram tracks behind the old B'burn end. Ah, the memories!

Any station would be up near the Manxman. To get the area up to a decent health and safety standard would cost more than the club or council would consider viable.

In any event, if you can't be arsed getting to Blackburn, Mill Hill or Darwen by train and getting to the ground then you can't be arsed using the train anyway!?!

if its not worth the money it would have been built by now? so anything thats not built yet is a waste of money?them vue cinemas shouldnt be built because we used to have picture houses,its called progression tim.everyone is telling us to stop using cars well on match days i would defo 100% use it.

i apologise i thought you meant you hadnt been to blackburn before i apologise.

a station wouldnt just help the rovers it would serve the ewood community as well.

building a station cost.no idea but other parts of town have had a lot more spent on them than the ewood area.

why hasnt it been done before ive no idea,do you?

so many stations ? theres one in blackburn ,one at mill hill,one at cherry tree and one at pleasy.so its just one IN blackburn and 3 in the outlying areas.what about southampton or london how many stations in london?

I agree with what you're saying about progression, it's very important but unfortunately as we all know, things only seem to progress when there is a way to make money out of it, otherwise it wouldn't be worthwhile. That's why I believe there isn't a station there at the moment. Whether it would benefit the local community or not, if something doesn't make money for the council then they won't build it. I'm sure we'll find out some more details at the fans forum when the question is asked but that's what I feel the reason is.

The problem is the capacity of the existing line. Even if you built a station near Ewood, because the line is single track it wouldn't be possible to serve the station in the way you'd want to immediately before and after a match.

It's single for 11 miles from Blackburn to Bromley Cross, with a passing place at Darwen. The absolute maximum frequency is one train every 30 minutes each way. However close the station is to the ground, nobody is going to wait an hour for a train when there are umpteen other methods to get away from Ewood after the game (all of which work pretty well as things are).

The economic case for upgrading the line from Blackburn to Bolton and Manchester is well documented - and the upgrade is urgently needed. However the government's approach to running Britain's railways is a disaster from A to Z and sensible ideas like adding capacity where it's most needed get thrown out. Another subject entirely.

A railway station at Ewood would not just benefit Rovers, but the surrounding area too. When I started watching Rovers, there were only houses nearby on the Ewood/Livesey side of the ground. Nothing over the river. Over the last 30 years, the Highercroft/Fishmoor and Lower Darwen suburbs have expanded on a large scale. Compare this to the housing around Entwistle station, two stops further down the line. Building a station at Ewood would also help regenerate the area and help justify double-tracking the line. It's a win-win situation for everybody.

I agree wily- when I saw them singling the Blackburn-Bolton section in the '70s I was left open-mouthed at the sheer stupidity of it. We already had the first oil crisis!

I could certainly see the case for an Ewood Parkway station as it is close to the M65.

As for not building the Riverside Stand, I am quite certain that there will be another generational advance in stadium design and economics and hopefully Rovers will be able to take advantage of that on the Riverside as the other three stands approach middle-age at some point in the next 20 years or so.

PS There is also the re-opened Wilpshire Station within Blackburn.

The problem is the capacity of the existing line. Even if you built a station near Ewood, because the line is single track it wouldn't be possible to serve the station in the way you'd want to immediately before and after a match.

It's single for 11 miles from Blackburn to Bromley Cross, with a passing place at Darwen. The absolute maximum frequency is one train every 30 minutes each way. However close the station is to the ground, nobody is going to wait an hour for a train when there are umpteen other methods to get away from Ewood after the game (all of which work pretty well as things are).

The economic case for upgrading the line from Blackburn to Bolton and Manchester is well documented - and the upgrade is urgently needed. However the government's approach to running Britain's railways is a disaster from A to Z and sensible ideas like adding capacity where it's most needed get thrown out. Another subject entirely.

I think this sums up the position. There is a strong case for a station. Always has been but rail capacity and government inertia is getting in the way. So to get one we would need to be part of the Council bid to upgrade the line. Which should surely help there appeal wouldnt you think? Can someone raise this at the Forum and ask the club to join forces with the council? This will obviously upset Tim in Southampton (!) but fortunately government consultation on East Lancs infrastructure won't be including the South Coast.

A railway station at Ewood would not just benefit Rovers, but the surrounding area too. When I started watching Rovers, there were only houses nearby on the Ewood/Livesey side of the ground. Nothing over the river. Over the last 30 years, the Highercroft/Fishmoor and Lower Darwen suburbs have expanded on a large scale. Compare this to the housing around Entwistle station, two stops further down the line. Building a station at Ewood would also help regenerate the area and help justify double-tracking the line. It's a win-win situation for everybody.

I agree wily- when I saw them singling the Blackburn-Bolton section in the '70s I was left open-mouthed at the sheer stupidity of it. We already had the first oil crisis!

I could certainly see the case for an Ewood Parkway station as it is close to the M65.

As for not building the Riverside Stand, I am quite certain that there will be another generational advance in stadium design and economics and hopefully Rovers will be able to take advantage of that on the Riverside as the other three stands approach middle-age at some point in the next 20 years or so.

PS There is also the re-opened Wilpshire Station within Blackburn.

I think this sums up the position. There is a strong case for a station. Always has been but rail capacity and government inertia is getting in the way. So to get one we would need to be part of the Council bid to upgrade the line. Which should surely help there appeal wouldnt you think? Can someone raise this at the Forum and ask the club to join forces with the council? This will obviously upset Tim in Southampton (!) but fortunately government consultation on East Lancs infrastructure won't be including the South Coast.

All releveant points,

Blackburn Council and the Government should be lobbied/bullied to take responsibility for this. Their collective thinking at times is tragic.

Another point is the fact that Ewood park is the only world class spectator arena in NE Lancs, with a rail line yards away that it does not have access to.

The govenment is responsible for the downgraded line and the council is responsible for where Ewood park is situated.

A station would regenerate the immediate area and would also attract fringe supporters from the Ribble valley and possible from the other direction when Notlob are relegated.

I smell the almighty power of the bean counters behind this though!

What is their latest justification criteria, 3 month pay back and a £zilliion profit in the 1st year!

I just cannot understand how the French built the Millau bridge on Tim's thinking, after all Millau is the size of Whalley!

:rover:

Ditched years ago, I believe.

Not ditched - postponed. This was the final plan for the redevelopment of Ewood Park. It is now subject to events on the field. When the glory days return to Rovers - attendances increase - then the hotel will be built. It is also considered because of money it would generate for the club. Afterall a hotel is open 24/7.

The only way this is going to happen, is if the club jump on the councils wagon to protest for an overturn in the decision for double track.

IMO I think the decision to say its not business sense to do this is crazy to say the least. That line gets very busy sometimes, especially peak hours. And saturdays are atrocious. Double line would bring double the capacity on that line. And a new station would provide a massive boost to the ewood,infirmary, lower darwen, highercroft area. People would get a train instead of a bus due to the speed and efficiency.

So the club needs to get some funding, as does the council and go back to Network rail and provide a case.

In fact, im pretty sure there will be a petition knocking about somewhere for double line, it would be useful if we could find the link for that.

Obviously the station would have to be funded entirely by the club and council, because if network rail wont fund double track they certainly aint going for a new station.

As someone has said lower darwen station could be opened. whereabouts on this line is it?

As well as the station bringing supporters and commuters. It could also speed up the expansion of the riverside. A big hotel is desperatly needed in blackburn....

I've actually been to Blackburn many times but haven't been to Mill Hill station so I didn't know that was unmanned. I'm sure on match days there are staff present.

Tim,

Whilst I respect your point of view, I dont think you are doing yourself any favours with comments like this.

Mill Hill Station is a lump of concrete, with a track either side, and some metal stairs.

The very fact that you arent really sure of the area kinda taints your opinion on this.

Whilst I agree it wouldnt necessary be cost effective, it isnt always about cost.....

I'm all for a station near Ewood but would suggest we think big and convert the car park behind the Blackburn End into the Kidder Street Interchange, a tram (admittedly a local tram network would be needed) and cycle route terminus that extends up to the Manxman where new platforms on the Blackburn - Manchester line would enable a ready influx of new and existing Rovers fans. You could probably include a comfy waiting room for the cost of half a crap Panoptican project.

Half a mile or so away, Lower Darwen used to have a station, closed in 1958 so it is not an unsound proposition. With all the new properties around Highercroft and the old ROF site at LD, and of course Oakdale across the River Darwen valley, there are lots of potential passengers outside of matchdays. It could also assist with the gentrification of the whole Roman Road area.

Why not re-open the Centurion as a gastropub wine bar and draw the new yuppies away from Deansgate loft conversions to a lovely semi-rural suburban locale with easy access to the Riverside.

Seriously, it could, nay should be done in spite of the blinkered naysayers. Come on Fans Forum, take it up with the Ewood powers-that-be.

Pennine Lancashire and the ghost of Anthony H Wilson live on...

<<AS - It's downhill >> Pedantic I know but Mill Hill station is slightly uphill from the magnificent, unsung but bijou Stakes Hall hostelry, if you go via under the Aqueduct and not Livesey Branch Road

Not ditched - postponed. This was the final plan for the redevelopment of Ewood Park. It is now subject to events on the field. When the glory days return to Rovers - attendances increase - then the hotel will be built. It is also considered because of money it would generate for the club. Afterall a hotel is open 24/7.

I'm fairly sure that Rovers had a survey done on the subject and the outcome was that it was simply too expensive and the "project" was dropped.

I doubt that a full time station would be feasible, but why not put a stop there to be used just on match days?

The Entwhistle stop is on a single line and stops there by request, how much can in cost to build some sort of platform which could be used on matchdays from a few hours before to a few hours after??

I doubt that a full time station would be feasible, but why not put a stop there to be used just on match days?

The Entwhistle stop is on a single line and stops there by request, how much can in cost to build some sort of platform which could be used on matchdays from a few hours before to a few hours after??

Its not just that though, you would definetly need a section of double track, new points, signals, diversions etc

Archived