BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Success At Other Clubs

I was speaking to a mate of mine,and we were discussing players who have left Rovers and have had a successful carreer with another club.The players I can think of,and this is not about titles won,but who have done well generally.Shearer springs to mind,I can also think of Shay Given,and to a certain extent Duff and Henning Berg.

Are there any other players past or present that have done well after leaving Rovers…

I was speaking to a mate of mine,and we were discussing players who have left Rovers and have had a successful carreer with another club.The players I can think of,and this is not about titles won,but who have done well generally.Shearer springs to mind,I can also think of Shay Given,and to a certain extent Duff and Henning Berg.

Are there any other players past or present that have done well after leaving Rovers…

David May :)

Tenuously cos he was only on a trial....Jon Carew. But also Mike England, Derek Dougan and Keith Newton spring quickly to mind. More recently Shay Given, Le saux, Sutton but one of the most successful was Colin Hendry who left here and went on to win a Premiership winning medal just a few years later! :rolleyes:

One could argue if Shearer deserves to be on this list or not.

Aside from the record number of goals for the premier league what else did he do at Newcastle? Could he achieved the same number of goals or more if he had stayed at Rovers?

Something to really ponder...

I would probably put Shearer on this list and say he was successful when he left Rovers, but the margin between success and failure in his case isn't that great and i could certainly understand if someone had the belief that Shearer wasn't as successful after he left Rovers.

It will be interesting to know what the percentage success rate is,of players that have left Rovers in the past,and went onto forge successful carreers.eg 10 out of 50 players carreers have blossomed after leaving Rovers.It will also be interesting to know,of our youth players,who never made it to the 1st team,of those that have left the club,do we regret losing.

One thing to consider is how much success would our ex-players have enjoyed staying with Rovers.

Since 1995 we've won the League Cup and had a series of farily short UEFA Cup campaigns. That's magnificent for a club of our size but we're hardly riddled with success are we?

Big Col won trophies at Rangers.

Kevin Hird was a success at Leeds, Simon Barker at QPR.

Jim Arnold at Everton.

Pat Andersson went to barca and bayern as well.

I dont think two losing cup finals would be a success for Mr Shearer !

One could argue if Shearer deserves to be on this list or not.

Aside from the record number of goals for the premier league what else did he do at Newcastle? Could he achieved the same number of goals or more if he had stayed at Rovers?

Something to really ponder...

I would probably put Shearer on this list and say he was successful when he left Rovers, but the margin between success and failure in his case isn't that great and i could certainly understand if someone had the belief that Shearer wasn't as successful after he left Rovers.

It's a good question, speaking as a Newcastle fan I think we only had one season of Shearer at his best because of his injury in pre-season of the 97/98 season, he did change his style of play to become a top striker again (much like Owen has) but I wouldn't say he became a better player after moving to us.

Sorry Baggio but the stats don't lie- he was 50% better at Rovers. I think he scored 105 in 128 games for us.

I watched him in the Newcastle jersey and he was still the best striker around but at Rovers he achieved a level of performance which was unparalleled in the modern game. I am not kidding you when I say that in our Championship season, I cannot remember him missing a chance and he scored one of the most powerfully struck goals of all time with his hattrick goal against QPR which sent us top of the league in November.

Sorry Baggio but the stats don't lie- he was 50% better at Rovers.

I watched him in the Newcastle jersey and he was still the best striker around but at Rovers he achieved a level of performance which was unparalleled in the modern game. I am not kidding you I say that in our Championship season, I cannot remember him missing a chance and he scored one of the most powerfully struck goals of all time with his hattrick goal against QPR which sent us top of the league in November.

What a lot of people would be most shocked about if they watched footage of Rovers for the first time when Shearer was there was his pace. A lot of people obviously when they think of shearer think of this great finisher, battler, strong physical centre forward. Don't get me wrong he was a world class striker even after injury and its a great testament to the great man that he changed him game to cope with serious injuries, but he was on a completely different level at Rovers before injury took its toll.

The greatest striker I have ever seen.

Archived