BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Success At Other Clubs

Good point RVR.

His second to keep the title race alive in 1994 by beating Man U 2-0. He ran through the middle of their defence in a straight line before blasting past Schmeichel - no jinks or fancy business just electrifying acceleration and sustained sprint with the composure to put the shot exactly where he wanted it and striking the ball from just inside the box giving himself the best angle.

Mind you it was in the net before Schmeichel got airborne!

Sorry Baggio but the stats don't lie- he was 50% better at Rovers. I think he scored 105 in 128 games for us.

I watched him in the Newcastle jersey and he was still the best striker around but at Rovers he achieved a level of performance which was unparalleled in the modern game. I am not kidding you when I say that in our Championship season, I cannot remember him missing a chance and he scored one of the most powerfully struck goals of all time with his hattrick goal against QPR which sent us top of the league in November.

I've agreed with you, mate.

I was speaking to a mate of mine,and we were discussing players who have left Rovers and have had a successful carreer with another club.The players I can think of,and this is not about titles won,but who have done well generally.Shearer springs to mind,I can also think of Shay Given,and to a certain extent Duff and Henning Berg.

Are there any other players past or present that have done well after leaving Rovers…

John Curtis,

BBB (Big Ben Burgess) went on to Hull and became a fans favourite.

Jon Walters is another (hasn't done too bad at Ipswich)

These are definitely stretching it. Before long we'll be including any old journeyman that wore the blue and white shirt. I think you need to elaborate on 'done well' Iceman.

What a lot of people would be most shocked about if they watched footage of Rovers for the first time when Shearer was there was his pace.

I remember the 7-1 win against Norwich, Shearer outpaced their defender on the right and crossed for Wegerle (I think) to score.

He really was rapid before his injuries. Can you imagine if he had been lucky and stayed injury free for his whole career?

My dad summed it up best. Most strikers you hoped would score, with Shearer, you expected him to score.

EDIT: Talking of Roy Wegerle

What a lot of people would be most shocked about if they watched footage of Rovers for the first time when Shearer was there was his pace. A lot of people obviously when they think of shearer think of this great finisher, battler, strong physical centre forward. Don't get me wrong he was a world class striker even after injury and its a great testament to the great man that he changed him game to cope with serious injuries, but he was on a completely different level at Rovers before injury took its toll.

The greatest striker I have ever seen.

He'd scored 19 that year before Christmas! Good as he was the cruciate injury slowed him down a lot and the horrific ankle injury that he suffered playing for the Mags at Everton rendered him almost geriatric in comparison.

On a parallel issue there are 2 sportsmen that I have been fortunate to see in their prime in my lifetime who both suffered breaks (as in time outs) in their careers which reduced their ability markedly, and who ended up being remembered less favourably by younger people are Alan Shearer and Cassius Clay. Shearer would have been being remembered like Duncan Edwards and Brian Clough if he had had to pack in after the Goodison injury, and Ali spoiled the public's memory of him by shuffling around boxing rings like a ponderous punchbag into his middle aged years.

Well. We could rephrase it: Who left rovers and developed into a better player.

I would say:

Maybe Sutton.

Duff potentially in his first season at Chelsea.

Barry Ferguson (occasionally brilliant for Rangers, average in his first season)

Batty got more caps for England post Rovers...

Le Saux went into decline imo

Henchoz had his heyday at liverpool.

Well. We could rephrase it: Who left rovers and developed into a better player.

I would say:

Maybe Sutton.

Duff potentially in his first season at Chelsea.

Barry Ferguson (occasionally brilliant for Rangers, average in his first season)

Batty got more caps for England post Rovers...

Le Saux went into decline imo

Henchoz had his heyday at liverpool.

That changes things entirely. Barry is nowhere near what he was before he left Rangers. Sutton wasn't better for Celtic. I agree with you on Le Saux. Batty possibly. Duff was never better than in the year that started with our promotion and finished with him starring for the Rish in Japorea.

Henchoz is the only definite. What about Berg?

Pat Andersson went to barca and bayern as well.

Indeed he did, as well as being captain of the national team, earning 96 caps and winning a WC medal in the process. Could've been a good player for Rovers for many years, shame it didn't work out.

He only scored one goal for Bayern though. But what a goal. Last game of the season, Bayern need a draw to take the title. 0-0 until the 89th minute when HSV score. Then an indirect free kick inside the area in the 93rd minute. And he scores.

One more thing, in case anyone cares; He's from a real football family. His father, Roy, was Swedish Footballer of the Year (Like Patrik was, twice), and his brother Daniel has 60 caps for Sweden and will probably play in his 4th international tournament this summer.

Archived