BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] End Of The Season

How do you rate this season for Rovers?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this season for Rovers?

• The best since 1995.
    • Good, and pleased with the overall final position. We are doing well for a club of our size
    • Annoyed with the final position, but what can you do?
    • Dissapointed, we need serious change.
    • Sack some players
    • Sack Sparky
    • Sack Grooby

Looks like mixed feelings from the state of the Birmingham match thread, so could we possible have a poll and discussion on the season as a whole rather than just todays game?

My feelings are that the season has been a success on the whole with several low points (Today, and away to Wigan just off the top of my head), and highlights (Bentley's free kick against Newcastle and Santa Cruz scoring to win us the first game at Middlesborough).

If Sparky can get some good players in to bolster the squad next season I feel we could give it another bloody good go, despite the crazy talk about sacking him.

How about the following for a poll, mods:

How do you rate this season for Rovers?

The best since 1995.

Good, and pleased with the overall final position. We are doing well for a club of our size (especially for Eddie)

Annoyed with the final position, but what can you do?

Dissapointed, we need serious change.

Sack some players

Sack Sparky

Sack Grooby (becasue it seems strange not to mention him in a poll)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People are going to think I'm overacting...but 7th place is extremely fortunate for us. The truth, based on tactics, quality of football, and especially the effort we (don't) put in...we should have been in the dogfight too.

A mixed season for me, not a failure but not a huge success, somewhere inbetween.

Its been good that we challenged with the resources we have available but at the same time thats offset by disappointing exits in both the FA Cup and Europe. Then there was the erratic league form and i've lost count the number of times we shot ourselves in the foot and as a result dropped points.

Happy in general with our league performance. We got more points than last year and would've qualified for Europe most years, even straight into the UEFA Cup usually.

Very disappointed with our FA and UEFA Cup exits however.

I'm also missing the committment and tenacity that may have gotten us the "dirty" tag, but that at least made us difficult to play against.

Fairly happy with our league position, although we could easily have been 1 or 2 places higher, so it is a shame that some poor results let us down.

Very unhappy with our cup performances.

More importantly, just generally unhappy with 95% of the football we've seen.

I thought we played better football more consistently last season but this season we never really hit our peak or potential, were inconsistent but scraped through a lot of games which we normally would have lost in previous seasons. No one can say we have been UNLUCKY in any regard this season. At least I dont feel it.

This may amaze you Eddie but I can't argue with that particular post. Frustration has run high with some of the performances, yet we managed to be the seventh best team in England. Not bad when you look back but slightly annoying when you think what could have been with a little more effort and concentration from some of the team at times...

THE GOOD

We have improved our league position which has seen steady progress this season.

Cruz has been a revelation,Bentley has impressed and Friedel has been reliable as ever.

The increased crowds at Ewood...we are finally heading in the right direction.

THE BAD

The Cup competitions and Uefa have for me been a MASSIVE let down.....the Coventry home surrender will linger in the back of my mind for quite a while yet.I was sure we had seen the back of apathetic performances like that when Souey exited the door!

THE UGLY

GAV! ;)

League wise I think we have done well again this season and made progress, the cup exits were disappointing, we have missed out on Inter toto which means we have also missed out on our season starting in late June.

Maybe this is a blessing for next season, as we will get a longer rest period before pre season, of course the exception would be any players involved in Uefa Euro Chapionships.

We will in effect have more days between games, no playing Thurs and then Sunday, and maybe this along with a strengthening of the squad could improve our chances of pushing for the automatic Uefa spot/s instead of fighting to get into the Inter toto.

Now don't get me wrong I would have liked to have seen Euro football at Ewood next season, but maybe no euro place could help us next season.

Very lucky and extremely fortunate to have finished seventh.

Started the season well as we had a physical advantage over the rest due to the intertoto start, then we dipped, then at the end we picked up until the final Brum game of course.

Parson blue, on another thread identifies the areas that should be improved wether Hughes can do such a thing or thinks along those lines remains to be seen.

The only good thing from the season is the league position.

It's bizarre really, I think we've played some bad stuff at times, yet finishing 7th despite all this creates the impression that we must be a good team.

However, my main fear is only our unusually fantastic start has allowed our season to tick over, and I just really hope we don't start how next season how we've played since November.

Our standard of football wont get results over a prolonged period.

At the end of October, the win at Spurs left us in 5th with 21 points from 10 games. The injury to Savage in that game left us with a gaping hole in midfield and the run of games up until Xmas saw us win 1 in 9. We saw some disasterous performances, often featuring the odd combination of Mokoena and Tugay together.

We've had some decent wins in 2008 but we've still been very inconsistent and I remain of the belief that Savage was jettisoned too early. There has been talk that his 'legs have gone' but I think he would have been more of an asset to us in the second half of the season than any of Dunn, Reid, Tugay or Mokoena.

The only good thing from the season is the league position.

It's bizarre really, I think we've played some bad stuff at times, yet finishing 7th despite all this creates the impression that we must be a good team.

Shillitto, we have some good players [well a lot of good players actually] and some very good players, but we aren't a great team. It's about having variation, - a bit of pace, a bit of creativity, people who read the game well, the right age mix and a squad that's hungry etc, etc.

We haven't got that balance right, in fact we're a lot of money away from having that balance perfectly right. It's still a FANTASTIC achievement for our club though and with Hughes, who's greatest quality is his ambition, we have a chance to move forward a bit more yet.

Superb season from Hughes and his team. Take away the untouchable 'Fantasy Island Brigade' and we are the 3rd best team in the land!

Given our previous status down with the dead men and our likely situation if Jack Walker had kept his hand in his pocket almost 20 years ago (is it really that long? :o ) who in their right minds could ever whinge?

Sure two decent signings in midfield would likely have seen us in Europe again but any such investment would have showed a loss and not a return. Can anybody seriously expect the club to chuck money at a competition that see's 4 figure home gates even when the cost is subsidised to nothing for ST holders and a fiver for the rest?

Well done to all.

Started very strongly, had a dodgy spell in the middle and then finished off quite strong. 7th in the current league with the amount we have spent compared to our rivals is outstanding. We finished above Pompey, City & West Ham who between them spent way over £100m. We spent just £4m, the least in the league out of any team.

Still unbeaten at home this year, only 10 losses all season and 6 points more than last seasons total. The only downside to our season was our poor cup performances.

Our average attendance is up by nearly 3000 and the club shop is on its way back. We have signed a better sponsorship deal.

We now have 2 England squad players, 1 of who is getting rave reviews and has made his mark in the 1st team – albeit that he may well leave in the coming months. We have also unearthed another gem in Roque Santa Cruz.

We have found Vogel who is much better than the axe and that might of saved us £3m+ on trying to find a similar player.

Next season our prospects look bright once again. We must hold onto our better players, although if they do intend to leave then so be it but it must be for the right price. We also need to continue to improve and if possible add abit more pace to the squad.

Personally I would do abit of a refresh, if Bentley wants to go, then let him but not for less than £15m, Roberts can go for £4m (Yes he works hard and holds the ball well but if his shooting was as consistent as his moaning then he would score 40 a season – he just inst a top class finisher), Mokoena for £2m, and let Enckleman, Henchoz, Gallagher and Tugay leave.

I totally agree with Hughesy. We have had an excellent season partly undone by:

1) Injury to Nelsen in October which he stupidly tried to play through.

2) Lack of pace in team.

3) Lack of central midfield strength.

4) lack of versitility in the way we play.

We are set up very well for next season. We have a strong team, some money to spend and a good manager. I am excited about it, and I think we can continue to compete against these teams who are going to outlay much more than us.

Well done Sparky and the Lads. Onwards and upwards.

Because we have had a poor second half of the season there is much angst but finishing seventh is a great achievement and improvement again on last year.

A couple of good signings and another step forward would see us in the top six next season.

Bring it on.

When are the pre-season fixture out :lol:

Archived