BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread Part 3

Thanks for that. I normally judge players on the occasions that I've seen them play though.

Brum fans were very happy to see Pennant leave. Not because he didn't have skill but because he had no control over where he crossed the ball to. He was consistently coming up top of the actim stats for most crosses, but his accuracy and direction left a lot to be desired.

They seem to have a similar opinion of him down at Liverpool only to a slightly lesser extent as he has been dropped in favour of playing a striker who finds it very difficult to score.

Benayoun is often the difference for Liverpool, if he is available he would most certainly be worth a look at.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some players that could be available for transfer that could interest us:

- Paulo Ferreira (Chelsea FC): Bosingwa just signed for Chelsea so he is probably on his way out.

- Maniche (Inter): probably on his way out

- Pele (Inter): probably could be available on loan this season

- Cristian Rodriguez: Benfica want him to stay but he is a free agent. Can sign for anybody.

- Paulo Assunção (FC Porto): great midfielder, will be available under the new trasnfer rules for a small fee. Has portuguese passport.

- Freddy Adu (SL Benfica): could be available on loan, has too many competition for left winger

Ok, I know they are all connected to Portugal but this is the football I know better and it is a place where you can find some good players for a cheap price.

Nicko, any rumour about any of these players?

Benayoun is often the difference for Liverpool, if he is available he would most certainly be worth a look at.

I think I may have already mentioned elsewhere I am a fan of Yossi's. If we can get Benayoun I, for one, would be happy as long as the money is not too silly.

Bit off the topic here but, with all the Bentley specualtion here don't we have a Bentley thread? I am sure some of us would have been advised of that already, just being picky, it's been a crappy day.

Another Nicko scoop?

Someone on another forum I visit, who is based in France says the radio over there is reporting Newcastle have agreed a deal for Gomis.

What else did they say?

There's nothing about it on any of the St Etienne forums but Keegan was out watching him again on Saturday against PSG.

A couple of good foreigners who are playing abroad would seem to be on the radar.

I won't mention their names until it moves further...or I can dream them up down at the pub. ;)

Interesting article in the mirror today about Wenger saying that Theo Walcott still not good enough to lead the attack. I think if I was in Walcott's position I would consider leaving arsenal. I must admit he is one player I'd like to see at Rovers, probable beyond Rovers transfer kitty.

Out of curiousity what would his transfer value be?

Another Nicko scoop?

Someone on another forum I visit, who is based in France says the radio over there is reporting Newcastle have agreed a deal for Gomis.

Not heard anything of it and it isn't being reported in l'equipe, which is usually the most reliable football related source in France. I've not been listening to the radio over the past couple of days, but it would be strange if only one particular source had reported it if it really is a done deal.

Newcastle want him, but if the fee is £17 million it won't happen. Mike Ashley wants to make a big splash, so it could go through at a lower price...but he's not the best at doing shrewdly-negotiated deals.

Man U are going to sign a good one in the kid Aaron Ramsey...

Interesting article in the mirror today about Wenger saying that Theo Walcott still not good enough to lead the attack. I think if I was in Walcott's position I would consider leaving arsenal. I must admit he is one player I'd like to see at Rovers, probable beyond Rovers transfer kitty.

Out of curiousity what would his transfer value be?

Absolutley, his pace is unbelievable, cannot believe Wenger doesn't rate him. I think he'd be awesome at Rovers. Would love to see us sign him. Think we attempted to loan him in January??

Not heard anything of it and it isn't being reported in l'equipe, which is usually the most reliable football related source in France. I've not been listening to the radio over the past couple of days, but it would be strange if only one particular source had reported it if it really is a done deal.

It was on RMC apparently, not that I have heard if it before.

I'd be interested to see how much Walcott would cost. A front line of Walcott and Santa Cruz would be an exciting prospect. Like Bentley, I just think Theo needs a good run of games to reach his potential - he's still on 19.

If Theo was available for about 8-10m, I'd personally be tempted to let Bentley go for 15m, and then we'd probably still have 15m to spend on strengthening.

He's a Liverpool fan? :lol:

Didn't they bid for him last week, £3m?

TalkSport just said some rumour that Spurs might want Pedersen for £4m?

Can we swap him for Huddlestone and then buy Adam Johnson?

The Pedersen rumour was on SSN, from the Sun apparently. Apparently Spurs have been linked with 15 players in the last 13 days.

Absolutley, his pace is unbelievable, cannot believe Wenger doesn't rate him. I think he'd be awesome at Rovers. Would love to see us sign him. Think we attempted to loan him in January??

I think if Walcott did decide to go we would be priced out by other clubs. He is the sort of player Newcastle, Man City, Spurs (if they get over the Arsenal thing), Portsmouth etc. will bend over backwards to sign. We can't financially compete with that.

The Pedersen rumour was on SSN, from the Sun apparently. Apparently Spurs have been linked with 15 players in the last 13 days.

4m for Pedersen would be very good business really (although a bit sad as Spurs would have paid double that last year) but you have to ask where are decent left wingers out there for that money? If there were Spurs would be signing them now (I mean they are after Johnson, who I am sure will cost a fair bit more than 4m).

Sort of transfer we will reject out of hand unless Hughes is aware of someone available on the cheap who is off Spurs radar.

Yeah I like him he's a good player, played well at Ewood last season ....... but hardly compatable to the rovers long term aim of attracting increased crowds to the 'East Stand' I'd suggest. ;)

It wouldn't be the post season if Spurs weren't linked with Pedersen :D

There may be a slight change of direction about the summer signings...

I am hearing from a couple of decent sources that the kitty may be kept for a top-class midfielder - perhaps £7 to £8 million - rather than a cheaper midfielder and a striker.

There have been a couple of names mentioned that would be more expensive than the Bradleys and Huddlestones.

It could be that the plan now is to blow the dough on a top-class midfielder and stick with the strikers they have - which would also explain why Benni was given a new deal.

I would also stress that this is regardless of Bentley staying/going/signing a deal or not.

No names to publish yet, but it seems to be a strategy.

It will be interesting to change this way. It is clear we need quality in the middle of the park, but players in the 7-8 million range (usually engish players whose price have inflated or players who have had a single decent season (a la Pedersen's value a couple of years back)) are dangerous. They tend to not be good enough to be considered brilliant (otherwise you would be looking at least the 15m Spurs paid for Modric) but rather "highly promising" which is slippy territory.

We will have to be very careful to make sure we get value. Grabbi was a classic case of massive over payment. Look at the likes of Barry Ferguson too. With bigger outlay we need to get better return.

Also if we are only looking to get one CM we need him to do the whole business. Tackling, passing, workrate, box to box running. Loads of stuff. Buying a highquality play maker won't do it nor will buying a high quality workhorse.

On top of that, and my main worry, is that pace through the centre of midfeild (should our new signing have that) is great but not much use on the counter attack. We need at least one player either up front or out wide who has genuine pace to be able to hurt teams on the break. If we blow our wad on a single central midfielder means this serious squad weakness will not be addressed.

How about GATTUSO - he wants to come to the prem. If only!!

Bayern have signed him I believe.

Valencia are looking at a fire sale of most of their players, Nicko any ideas whether we're sniffing around any of them?

Archived