BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rangers In Manchester

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hordes weren't tempted down with beer tents and free screenings. They were already coming down in their hordes as it was and it was a political minefield either way. The council didn't want to provide anything and the original suggestion was if you don't have a ticket don't come. However by hosting a major Uefa final there is an obligation on Manchester to be hospitable and not shut up shop for the day because the hordes are coming down.

Let's have some perspective here, the huge majority were well behaved and simply sat around all day drinking, a concept not too unusual to many of us who have gone abroad watching Rovers. A minority caused mither, increased when understandably angry fans were upset when the big screen failed. The litter issue was something council should have dealt with and had an army of cleaners on the streets from 4 am. The city reputably benefitted by upwards of £15m and why on earth a proper pan to clean the streets wasn't in place god only knows.

Scottish Conservatives are demanding an enquiry into the 'overreaction' of the police in deploying riot officers.

I would suggest that they watch this CCTV footage of a small number of police under attack by a large number of Rangers fans. That's hardly a few isolated jocks causing trouble is it.

If I were the police I'd be releasing that footage to show what they were up against.

The city reputably benefitted by upwards of £15m and why on earth a proper pan to clean the streets wasn't in place god only knows.

That does seem to be a part of the probem! :lol:

Here's as good an article as I've read about yesterday's events: Manchester Confidential

I agree with the article's main premise that the scale of the event was unprecedented and very hard to predict - had the big screen in Piccadilly Gardens not gone down I doubt there would have been any real negative stories coming out today - however, there is no excuse for some of the behaviour that went on yesterday and it's just going to reflect badly on Britain's football teams in the future.

I would suggest that they watch this CCTV footage of a small number of police under attack by a large number of Rangers fans. That's hardly a few isolated jocks causing trouble is it.

Thats absolutely disgraceful. I'm ashamed to call those people Rangers fans. I hope this video leads to prosecutions of each and every one of them :(

Why does everything always have to be someone else's fault nowadays? You get Rangers fans blaming Manchester, the media banging on about out of control fans etc....what a joke. It looked to me like out of 150,000 there were a couple of hundred rent a mob, burberry cap types chucking bottles around and everyone else trying to get out of the way. Compare this to any England away game over the last 30 years and it was a vicar's tea party. In fact I'm surprised there wasn't much more trouble after the TV went off, I would have been effing raging after standing waiting for it to come on with no carry out because the offies had run dry for 8 hours and then not even getting to see the game.

You can't blame the authorities or Rangers you just have to put it down to experience and think that maybe it wasn't so bad after all. The alternative is to not stage anything like this again just in case you get a few naughty boys coming along to spoil everyone's fun.

Incidentally there were more arrests at Rovers v ManU weren't there?

Re the smell - what about the vinegar? They are addicted to the stuff them Weedgies.

I work on railway and last night was to supposed to take a train into Man Picc last night, but was told that Man Picc had been shut due to Rangers fans all over the station and track and rail staff were being withdrawn fron the station for their own safety, we had to be diverted into Man Victoria.

iwas in blackpool on tues working on the prom it was like a blue invasion and yesterday i was in the jam at rush hour and they were stood on top of vans bladder emtying and throwing cans at cars.Im with the build the wall back up and you can bet if chelsea and utd kick off next week uefa will be on it as quick as you can say sweaty socks

Driving through Altrincham at 8.30 Wednesday morning they were everywhere, blue wigs and tartan pants (I thought at first they were trying to blend in with the elderly locals) :)

As for the trouble that evening, with help from the army, baton charges and water cannon they could have been squashed. For the authorities to do so little in preparation is scandalous.

The way the Rangers fans behaved last night was no better than Celtic a few years back at Ewood - possibly the most frightened I have ever been at a football match.

They are a disgrace - tartan wearing lunatics that carve up everything in their path like locusts.

They should be banned from Europe and never allowed to play outside of Scotland again.

Accyrover

The behaviour of the Rangers fans caught on CCTV last night was totally disgraceful. I hope they are caught and punished for it. It sounds like they left Manchester in a right state. By all accounts though, I don't think Manchester was prepared for such an influx.

Celtic and Rangers in the Premier League anyone ?

Last night was just a taste of what it would be like every week if we let the tartan savages in our league.

There's no chance Glasgow itself would come down to an English town/city every week.

Let’s put things into perspective here, the CCTV shows 150 people at most running down a street and 15 people at most kicking a policeman. Whilst this shouldn't happen, the other 139,850 Rangers fans had a great time and came in peace.

Media bullshit as usual and over hype to create a story.

I keep hearing about how well the Celtic fans travel and cause not trouble :wacko: ask the police at the final a few years ago about the Celtic fans and they'll tell you a different story about the Irish hordes.......

Two wrongs don't make a right, but one set of supporters are not better than the other.

gav does your debs drive a blue car with a rovers sticker in the back and drives towrds abbey village in a morning? if yes she cut me up in my wagon yesterday nr the toll bar hahahaha i pipped and she never even flustered hahahahaha

the other 139,850 Rangers fans had a great time and came in peace.

I must remember to ###### and puke around Glasgow streets next time I'm there. Actually, no-one would notice in Glasgow, but you get my point.

Someone being stabbed (you forgot to add that bit Gav) and a police offer being battered by a large group of people would make the news regardless of whether football was involved or not, the media really aren't to blame on this one.

Let’s put things into perspective here, the CCTV shows 150 people at most running down a street and 15 people at most kicking a policeman. Whilst this shouldn't happen, the other 139,850 Rangers fans had a great time and came in peace.

Media bullshit as usual and over hype to create a story.

Bullshit.

200,000 jocks bringing Manchester to a halt is a story in itself ; that a fair number of them brought shame on their crappy little country by behaving abominably is an even better story.

Huns and Fenians they're all the same: scum.

Archived