BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Uncle Jacks

hey All.

Just to let you know, i am the area manager for the brewery that has Uncle Jacks pub-

we are just about to do a full refurbishment there and re-open in in time for the start of August and the Footy Season.

The pub has obviously been closed for a while, and i just thought if any of you had any ideas then this is a decent forum to raise them on-

we really want to get the pub back to not only a lovely local, but a great pub for Rovers Fans before & after the game.

We are keeping the Uncle Jacks theme obviously in tibute to the great man, (and having Rovers memorabillia throughout), but also have decided to create quite a large outside sheltered area at the back.

It will have lighting, heating & outside TV, and really could offer Rovers fans a decent facility to drink in- (i have always felt the away fans get a decent deal with the fernhurst, especially with the marquee etc).

This will give home fans a similar option. Being a massive Rovers Fan myself, i want to get this right too!

Although i cant guarentee any of your ideas will be incorporated, it would be good to here them.

cheers

:rover:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey All.

Just to let you know, i am the area manager for the brewery that has Uncle Jacks pub-

we are just about to do a full refurbishment there and re-open in in time for the start of August and the Footy Season.

The pub has obviously been closed for a while, and i just thought if any of you had any ideas then this is a decent forum to raise them on-

we really want to get the pub back to not only a lovely local, but a great pub for Rovers Fans before & after the game.

We are keeping the Uncle Jacks theme obviously in tibute to the great man, (and having Rovers memorabillia throughout), but also have decided to create quite a large outside sheltered area at the back.

It will have lighting, heating & outside TV, and really could offer Rovers fans a decent facility to drink in- (i have always felt the away fans get a decent deal with the fernhurst, especially with the marquee etc).

This will give home fans a similar option. Being a massive Rovers Fan myself, i want to get this right too!

Although i cant guarentee any of your ideas will be incorporated, it would be good to here them.

cheers

:rover:

Why has it got a to lease sign on the building, is that you or an invitation for somebody else?

Why has it got a to lease sign on the building, is that you or an invitation for somebody else?

that will be coming down in the next few weeks before we start work- interview processes have finished and so

the pub is now not on the market.

also sorry, as far as ideas go, can we rule out the "put free beer on" and "beer at £1 pint" requests that i am sure would have followed!

that will be coming down in the next few weeks before we start work- interview processes have finished and so

also sorry, as far as ideas go, can we rule out the "put free beer on" and "beer at £1 pint" requests that i am sure would have followed!

Good luck with the venture.

The outside bit sounds very cool - i was in the Yew Tree near the Capitol Centre a few months back and they have a great "smoking area" with outside TV and it was really cool.

I hope it has large pull down projector screens for decent football viewing before and after going to the rovers.

I would also like to see flags and really make it into a Rovers pub!

Also, do you need anybody to fit it out for you? Is there a tender list? haha, hey i got to try.

Nice beer garden, rare rovers memorbilia - perhaps locals could donate some of their rare (but rarely used) items to be displayed in the pub?

Good luck, what with Ewood Arms shutting down we need more pubs round ewood / lower darwen for matchdays and normal days.

EDIT: Thinking about it, and having been reading the Tugay Tribute thread - how about naming one of the rooms the Tugay Lounge!? Could bang up a few action shots of the great man, be a brilliant tribute to him in his (likely) last season at rovers (as a player anyway).

If you are making it a proper Rovers themed Pub - I can help out with the fire doorsets, even facing the doors with blue and white halved laminate and having the crest etched into the vision panels.

Anything is possible!!!

PM me if you are interested SD4E

One Love - BRFC

The outside bit sounds very cool - i was in the Yew Tree near the Capitol Centre a few months back and they have a great "smoking area" with outside TV and it was really cool.

I hope it has large pull down projector screens for decent football viewing before and after going to the rovers.

I would also like to see flags and really make it into a Rovers pub!

Also, do you need anybody to fit it out for you? Is there a tender list? haha, hey i got to try.

the yew tree you mentioned is one of our pubs too, and we did that refurb.

It will have plasmas etc with all te sports showing for before and after matches.

also..

"EDIT: Thinking about it, and having been reading the Tugay Tribute thread - how about naming one of the rooms the Tugay Lounge!? Could bang up a few action shots of the great man, be a brilliant tribute to him in his (likely) last season at rovers (as a player anyway)".

not a bad idea at all, i will discuss it with the team at the next meeting!

If you are making it a proper Rovers themed Pub - I can help out with the fire doorsets, even facing the doors with blue and white halved laminate and having the crest etched into the vision panels.

Anything is possible!!!

PM me if you are interested SD4E

One Love - BRFC

sorry mate- as you can imagine all the tendering etc and suppliers are on the Brewery's approved list and so i am stuck to use these suppliers.

It will have a rovers theme throughout, however we have to be careful about going overboard as it needs to be a great local pub for the peple of Lower Darwen throughout the week too.

cheers

1 Plenty of bar staff

2 Outdoor kiosk in beer garden selling cold cans (depending on how big the beer garden is)

3 Snack bar (sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs etc)

Haven't been in uncle Jack's for a few years, so cant remember how big it is inside, or outside. But basically, you want to be served quickly, with a decent beer. Most lager drinkers will settle for a chilled can of lager, so the outdoor kiosk might be a good seller, but for the bitter drinkers and the more picky lager drinkers, a decent pint served quickly and you cant go wrong. Oh yeah, busty barmaids too :tu:

sorry mate- as you can imagine all the tendering etc and suppliers are on the Brewery's approved list and so i am stuck to use these suppliers.

It will have a rovers theme throughout, however we have to be careful about going overboard as it needs to be a great local pub for the peple of Lower Darwen throughout the week too.

cheers

Worth a try eh?!!

How easy/difficult is it to get on the approved supplier list - not for this project but for future work?

Cheers and good luck.

Worth a try eh?!!

How easy/difficult is it to get on the approved supplier list - not for this project but for future work?

Cheers and good luck.

i get asked this a lot- basically so long as you comply with all H&S legislation and have all the correct qualiifciations you can apply to the head office.

PM me and i will tell you more.

Thanks Jim for your input- will see what i can do regarding the outside cans and making sure you get served quickly- not sure i can do the busty barmaids for you though as that will be upto the lessee :D

will pass the request on though!

I'm so pleased to hear this news, not been in the pub but passed it many times and was hoping that it would always keep the name of 'Uncle Jack's'.

Sounds as if you have some great ideas for it, lucky Lower Darwen dwellers!

Keep us posted please.

Just a thought...sculptors who are commissioned to do large statues usually do a smaller version for approval by the commissioner, there may be one of our beloved Jack statue at Ewood, worth asking the Club if it can be installed in pride of place somewhere?

Funnily enough I know one of the gents who has taken it over as I'm related to him, had it confirmed this morning not by him by my brother as he knows I think it's a bad idea but hey ho.

The pub needs a rake of cash spending on it, not least to replace what the gypsies have rifled.

Things to consider -

1) Move the bar to the left to stop the log jam when you walk in

2) Plasmas

3) It's a bit of a betting pub , either get an internet terminal or get a local bookie on board to take them

4) All racing channels to be subscribed to

5) Beer garden has good potential

6) Darts, pool and snooker must return. (Snooker team one of best in area as were the darts lads - of course!!)

7) Get Rovers players to come down on the re-opening night

8) It's a local pub for local people!! Don't alienate them by taking away the 'local pub feel'.

9) Don't have live bands on, there's enough places that cater for them in the area - this pub's not suited for them.

10) No chavs. Ever.

Cheers.

Good luck with the venture! :tu:

Me & a mate enquired about the pub a few months back, but felt the asking price for the tenancy was too high.

The pub itself has great potential & with the right manager/tennant could do well.

One downside i noticed the last time i went in (we took some Norwegian rovers fans) was the chavvy clientelle that was being allowed to frequent the place.

It seemed to be full of kids & lowlifes. in tracksuits, whose only interest seemed to be going outside to 'battle' & take drugs in the bogs

The Norwegian lads came away looking rather disillusioned with a place that bore the name of Rovers greatest fan :(

Sounds ok. My only prerequisite on match days is a decent pint(s)/variety of “real ale” and the Ewood area is a bit of a void for that. I usually visit the fox and hounds near the ground but last season either headed to Blackburn or Darwen before and after games. I have visited the pub several times over the last 15 years or so and have never been impressed, but if an effort is made I will gladly give it another chance.

And if you succeed there, I may well visit more than just match days as my brother lives locally.

Good luck.

Sounds ok. My only prerequisite on match days is a decent pint(s)/variety of “real ale” and the Ewood area is a bit of a void for that. I usually visit the fox and hounds near the ground but last season either headed to Blackburn or Darwen before and after games. I have visited the pub several times over the last 15 years or so and have never been impressed, but if an effort is made I will gladly give it another chance. Good luck.

And if you succeed there, I may well visit more than just match days as my brother lives locally.

Closest decent pint I found was the Thwaites's Original in the Navigation (Mill Hill) - not the best pint in the world but at least it was from a hand pump.

I'd dearly love to find somewhere else nearby doing a proper pint.

Archived