BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shall We Have A Bet?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if anyone is interested in golf but managed to get on what I thought was a cracking bet for the US Open golf yesterday.

Veteran US Golfer Rocco Mediate (solid experienced etc.) had a good first round at two under and everyone seemed to struggle in their second round to the extent that he was in the lead by the time he came to tee off for round 2 yet was still available at 80/1 at Corals.

Had a few quid each way, he actually went three shots clear at one point but fell back.

Still currently second going into round three though.

Not much value available now, but might be worth keeping an eye on Goosen and Garcia at 66/1 IF they start well. Currently five and six shots behind respectively.

Luke Donald at 20/1 is there or thereabouts, shoudn't implode, and has an excellent past record at Torrey Pines, the course where the championship is being played.

Right - you can all wake up now! :lol:

Individual sports like golf and NASCAR are too difficult to consistently win on. Too many entrants, each with world class skills (I purposely left F1 out of that, because there are only a few drivers who can win each week).

Don't know if anyone is interested in golf but managed to get on what I thought was a cracking bet for the US Open golf yesterday.

I don't bet on golf that much cos I know very little about it other than it's good to watch on the last day of a major and the ryder cup.

The other thing that puts me off is that most of the best would be pre-tournament at say 33-1 or bigger. At these prices you have to expect that most bets will lose. This is fine because as long as your getting say 1 in 30 bets up then you're winning. However if you only bet on golf 5 times a year like I do it could well take you 6 years to hit one!

Shame I forgot!!!

Annoying when that happens.

There's a saying that missing a winner is worse than backing a loser.

Veteran US Golfer Rocco Mediate (solid experienced etc.) had a good first round at two under and everyone seemed to struggle in their second round to the extent that he was in the lead by the time he came to tee off for round 2 yet was still available at 80/1 at Corals.

Good shout Rev.

You can keep dreaming for another day until after the play-off.

The bookies must now be happy. After probably losing a ton on the first couple days that probably only encouraged people to bet more and there have been very few predictable results since then.

Good shout Rev.

You can keep dreaming for another day until after the play-off.

Sickener when Woods holed that last putt, it looked to have missed on the right but just caught the back edge of the hole then dropped.

Woods could hardly have played worse and has spent more time a hundred yards wide of the fairway than on the short stuff. Nevertheless he always seems to pull a near perfect lie trampled down by spectators and a clear unobstructed shot to the green.

I'm mentally resigned now he's going to win, anything else will be a bonus. At least I'm slightly up overall on the each way bit of the bet.

The bookies must now be happy. After probably losing a ton on the first couple days that probably only encouraged people to bet more and there have been very few predictable results since then.

It was always on the cards for at least one shock result last night, given they were dead rubbers.

Sickener when Woods holed that last putt, it looked to have missed on the right but just caught the back edge of the hole then dropped.

Woods could hardly have played worse and has spent more time a hundred yards wide of the fairway than on the short stuff. Nevertheless he always seems to pull a near perfect lie trampled down by spectators and a clear unobstructed shot to the green.

I'm mentally resigned now he's going to win, anything else will be a bonus. At least I'm slightly up overall on the each way bit of the bet.

Well I said yesterday that I didn't think Woods could possibly play as bad again and stay in contention, but he did. I had a fiver on Westwood just because I felt 4/1 was worth it. Betfair kindly gave me some money so i;ve stuck some of it on Rocco for tonight.

Like you i'm half resigned to the fact that it seems inevitable that Woods will win but surely his errant play and his sore knee will take their toll eventually?

I'm glad I forget to bet on the Czechs to win, wasn't thinking that with 20 minutes to go mind you.

You didn't lay the Czech to win the tournament when they were 2-0 up by any chance did you Hasta?

Bad couple of days on the betting front really mainly due to Italy not being able to overcome Romania.

Like you i'm half resigned to the fact that it seems inevitable that Woods will win but surely his errant play and his sore knee will take their toll eventually?

Well without wishing any long term harm on his knee. I'm hoping so.

But I'm still trying to figure out how he's in contention after Saturday's round as well when he was just as bad but holed inter alia a 60 yard putt for eagle which could quite easily have rolled back down the fairway if it hadn't gone in and a chip which hit the flag half way up and dropped for birdie.

He seems to be able to get it round in a decent score no matter how badly he plays. Sign of a great player. Although the greats of the past, Nicklaus, Watson etc were much steadier tee to green.

Had a few quid each way, he actually went three shots clear at one point but fell back.

Still currently second going into round three though.

Not much value available now, but might be worth keeping an eye on Goosen and Garcia at 66/1 IF they start well. Currently five and six shots behind respectively.

Luke Donald at 20/1 is there or thereabouts, shoudn't implode, and has an excellent past record at Torrey Pines, the course where the championship is being played.

Fair play to you buddy, that was a hell of a shout. I looked at him after reading your post and he was at 33s, I'm a tad disappointed now. What odds did you get e/w - 1/4?

Fair play to you buddy, that was a hell of a shout. I looked at him after reading your post and he was at 33s, I'm a tad disappointed now. What odds did you get e/w - 1/4?

Yep.

Only going to make about twenty quid if he doesn't win given my other losing bets.

About five hundred up if he wins.

Royal Ascot starts tommorrow anyone got any tips?

Henrythenavigator looks a pretty sure thing for the 3.45 but will be no doubt odds on and as short as 1/2 probably.

4/6 on Betfair which is a bigger price than I thought he'd be for a horse that has twice beat the subsequent Derby winner.

Edit - He won very well in the end. Nice horse.

Archived