BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shall We Have A Bet?

Of the slightly more realistic contenders I can't really see past Garcia although the odds of 10/1 don't represent very good value.

Other players I will be keeping half an eye on are Hunter Mahan, Martin Kaymer and Robert Karlsson.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm staking a few quid on Betfair on Jean Van Der Velde at 1000-1. He had to come through prequalifying to get to Birkdale and I've found in the past that if a well known golfer has had to prequalify and has got in ,he's usually in good form.

Had a nice result in similar circumstances on Brad Faxon at St. Andrews three years ago. He was 600/1 on Betfair before the off, and although he didn't win, I laid him off before round 4 for a decent profit on the whole field.

I'd be delighted if Van de Velde could win it, I was gutted when he bottled it at the 18th at Carnoustie. Sadly I think his chance has come and gone, much like others such as Jesper Parnevik, Colin Montgomerie and (dare I say it) Sergio Garcia.

Has Peter Lonard not qualified? Couldn't find his name in the betting lists and he's always worth a punt on a links course.

Always worth a few quid on the golf with such good odds available you can usually back a number of golfers and still end up in profit.

I'll probably end up sticking a few quid on Garcia, Karlsson & Casey E/W to win it.

As others have said with such an open field there was plenty of opportunity to have a couple of bets and still make a bit. Paddypower were offering e/w to 7th so had a few quid e/w on McDowell and Fisher(Ross not Oliver) and they are doing ok. Also got money on Garcia and had a cheeky fiver on Poulter on betfair at 110 last night. Was banking on him having a couple of good rounds and then bottling it when in contention when i'll be laying him off with a bit of luck. He's down to 50 at the moment but another solid round tomorrow and it will be looking better for him.

All adds to the fun either way.

After saying that I was going to back Van De Velde on Betfair, my internet crashed for 2 days and by the time I got back on line the odds were down to 300/1 and I considered most of the value had gone.

Bloody Virgin! :angry:

I have however backed him at the bookies e/w at 500/1 so I'm still hopeful.

As for the winner, the weather is meant to kick up rough again over the weekend, so with such a tightly packed field absolutely anything could happen.

I'll be looking probably for people a bit off the pace who get into the clubhouse early with a good score.

Had a shocker on the Open this year, didn't win a bean, the first time I've been out of pocket on the golf for ages.

Never backed Harrington because of:

a) Statistically people don't generally defend it successfully

b ) His bad wrist

Ho hum.

Made a bit on Poulter but not as much as I should have done. Cashed in a bit early when he was struggling but was in a good position where i was winning wether he won or lost. 109 was always silly odds for him as he always seems to be steady at these events. Was a good tourney but tough to pick anyone really, would have taken a brave man to back Harrington injured but I suppose that's the gamble, you certainly could have got good odds on Wednesday.

Van De Velde was going well the first couple of days as soon as Revidge got round to backing him he slipped down the leaderboard. :lol:

Dissapointed with Garcia thought he was the main chance of any of my picks winning it. Karlsson & Casey did come joint 7th shame my E/W bet only covered them finishing in the top five, just seen that someone mentioned Paddy Power were offering E/W covering the top seven, ohh well.

Did manage to lay Norman before the final days play to recoup some money though.

Also put a sneaky couple of quid on England to draw the current test match at massive odds, probably not going to happen like but you never know. *prays for rain*

• 5 weeks later...

Always worth a punt. Obviously lost by miles and I wasn't counting on getting my money, but odds like that were crazy for a second favourite. You never know what could happen. 5 pounds lost, but they don't always lose.

Hoping for a good win on the international friendlies tonight. Been really close on some bets lately, so need a bit of a luck change.

Came to the long hop sunday, around lunch, time to claim a free beer!

Nobody home, so went to an Italian round the corner, maybe next time :lol:

Some weekend bets for me firstly on number of goals:

Blackburn Vs Hull Over 2.5

Liverpool Vs Middlesbrough Under 2.5

Newcastle Vs Bolton Over 2.5

Stoke Vs Aston Villa Over 2.5

West Brom Vs Everton Under 2.5

Fulham Vs Arsenal Over 2.5

Man City Vs West Ham Under 2.5

Portsmouth Vs Man Utd Under 2.5

---------------------

£0.10p x Five folds

Total Stake: £5.60, Maximum Return: £110.09

---------------------

Accumulator

Total Stake: £0.40, Return: £46.47

Next one is on outright results on some of this weekend's matches:

Blackburn Vs Hull

Liverpool Vs Middlesbrough

Newcastle Vs Bolton

Stoke Vs Aston Villa

Tottenham Vs Sunderland

Fulham Vs Arsenal

Wigan Vs Chelsea

Celtic Vs Falkirk

Rotherham Vs Chester

QPR Vs Doncaster

---------------------

£0.05p x Six-folds

Total Stake: £10.50, Maximum Return: £141.69

---------------------

Accumulator

Total Stake: £1.50, Return: £111.63

I've laid Patkai for the St Leger at 9/4. I can't have a horse that got beat at Chester in a handicap off 90 two runs ago winning a classic.

It runs at Goodwood in the first later today. Hope it gets beat then I can maybe lay a bit back off but I doubt it as the race looks fairly easy on paper.

I've laid Patkai for the St Leger at 9/4. I can't have a horse that got beat at Chester in a handicap off 90 two runs ago winning a classic.

It runs at Goodwood in the first later today. Hope it gets beat then I can maybe lay a bit back off but I doubt it as the race looks fairly easy on paper.

Came 4th of 5 :)

Archived