BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Grant Gone!

Isn't Scolari's contract up after the euros?

Indeed it is. He has been very heavily linked with Man City.

He won't talk to anybody until after the euros. Much like when england decided we were far to important to wait for him and instead went for McLaren, that worked out well didn't it!

Just on SSN and they're previewing tomorrow's backpages - It's in 2 papers they want Hughes... :unsure:

What you mean is two rags can't think of anything more likely to sell an extra copy so the backpage will be "Chelsea want Sparky" or some such nonsense. Until Chelsea select a manager we'll have to endure weeks of speculation in the media involving Hughes and others, and weeks of hand-wringing on here. 99.9999% of the stuff written or spoken in the media will be pure speculation with no basis whatsoever and no purpose other than to shift red top rubbish.

Lets all be adult about it. Does anyone seriously think Kenyon spends his time briefing journos on who he wants as manager? Of course not, he'll be having a quiet word here and there about his targets and then approach them - probably in a London restaurant before speaking to their current employers but that's another story.

Relax, it's a beautiful morning in Lancashire - enjoy.

The only way I could see Hughes appealing to them is if Kenyon can convince the others that he would be the next Man Utd manager, so pinching him now would be a good move.

Unlikely IMO.

I've pointed out before that a successful record in the Champions league is a must have requirement for big hitters like Chelsea. I may be wrong but I cannot see Hughes ticking enough boxes to satisfy their criteria and that is why I am more concerned with the Celtic rumours.

Three weeks ago John Terry angrily hit out at the suggestion that Avram Grant would be on his way out of Chelsea in the summer. "To get to where we are and still question the manager's role is unbelievable," he said.

"The results don't lie. Avram has been very good," insisted Terry. "I think he plays a massive part. This is the first time in the club's history that we have reached a Champions League final. It hasn't been achieved before by any manager, or any set of players. So I feel he deserves respect."

A link to Terry's comments is below.

Terry gives backing to Grant

So I wonder whether John Terry has challenged the chief executive Peter Kenyon, the chairman Bruce Buck and the owner Mr Abramovich as to why they have sacked Grant. Because to John Terry it is "unbelievable" to question the manager after he has reached a Champions League final.

There seems to be some skewed logic to the comments of Bruce Buck, the Chelsea chairman. According to Mr Buck, an American from New York: "We have had a great season. We never would have thought in September when Jose Mourinho left that we would be able to make it into a Champions League Final - as we did, and that is fantastic."

Mr Buck went on to say: "Although it was an excellent season, we are still disappointed. A couple of second place finishes is just not good enough for us."

So on the one hand Mr Buck is saying that it was "fantastic" and "an excellent season". On the other hand he is saying that it is "just not good enough for us." Am I alone in thinking that there's a flawed logic somewhere from Mr Buck?

If Buck had been the Man United chairman in recent years, would he have said to Alex Ferguson in 2005, when United ended the season without a trophy, "Second place is just not good enough" and used that as a reason to justify sacking Ferguson?

Using Buck's logic, does he also say to John Terry. "Missing that penalty wasn't good enough." Perhaps Buck could take a look at himself and the other chaps on the Chelsea board and say: "We were the ones responsible for appointing a manager who finished second. We, as the board, were not good enough".

But of course people like Buck never admit that they are wrong do they?

On Betfair, at the time of posting this, Mark Hughes is the 5th favourite to be the next Chelsea boss, behind Rijkaard, Mancini, Hiddink and Sven Goran-Eriksson.

If the current bookies favourite Frank Rijkaard is appointed, he's a man who last season finished 3rd in La Liga, behind Real Madrid and Villareal. Barcelona also lost in the semi-final to Man United in the Champions League. Perhaps Buck and Kenyon think that finishing 3rd and losing in a Champions League semi-final is better than finishing 2nd and losing in the final.

Mark Hughes will be aware that although he'd earn more money at Chelsea and would be spending more money, if he reached the Champions League final and didn't win it, then it wouldn't be good enough for Messrs Kenyon and Buck. Finish second and Hughes would be sacked because second place isn't good enough according to Mr Buck.

I hope that for Hughes, knowing that he could be sacked after just one season at Chelsea, he would think carefully about whether to work for idiots like Kenyon and Buck, if indeed Chelsea are ever interested in employing Hughes, which they might not be.

Somebody once said that you can have all the money in the world, but you can't buy class and style. By God the prats at Chelsea like Kenyon and Buck will never have class and style.

why was kenyon smiling when they went up for their medals and why did he go?

He put the medal round his neck and Bobby Charlton refused to. It's this kind of thing which makes me hate Chelsea more than I'll ever hate Man Utd...

You've got to act decisively on this one guys, trust me.

We've just handed a firm hands-off warning to Kenyon! The Ginger Mourinho is going nowhere - he's staying at the Reebok! :D

it is ironic that Grant has done so well and yet has to go. On this basis a numer of other premiership managers should be very worrried as they have argueably not had a good season.

Both Wenger and Benitez have had poor seasons - thrown away the premiership and won nothing.

Curbishley has spent a shed load of money but only finished mid table ( and the fans are not happy ).

Ramos won the carling Cup but nothing since.

Southall has spent alot of money but only just avoided relegatrion.

Roy Kean has spent £40 million, only just avoided the drop and apparently needs another £40 million.

Keegan finished well but had a very poor start and is probably safe for the first too months of the next season.

And so on

Hiddink was never a runner for the Chelsea job but Mancini's agent insisting he is signing a new contract at Inter knocks someone I thought had to be a strong candidate out and leaves Mourinho still homeless- that's if reports are to be believed.

Didier Deschamps throws his hat into the ring. The fact that Peter Kenyon is supposedly talking about a young British Manager and Roy Keane's name being bracketed with Mark Hughes makes me wonder if the press is simply bracketing the Man U connections.

You've got to act decisively on this one guys, trust me.

We've just handed a firm hands-off warning to Kenyon! The Ginger Mourinho is going nowhere - he's staying at the Reebok! :D

:rolleyes:

Enough spirit must have returned for you to raise your head above the parapat again I see Zulu. I must say many of us were concerned for you during your unenforced absence. :)

Archived