BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Rovers Manager

Appointments that would have me considering giving up on Rovers. Allardyce, McClaren or Shearer. Let's put these three out of the frame please.

The ones that interest and excite me in no particular order. Gary Johnson, Paul Ince, Dick Advocaat, Bilic.

I also think Poyet is a good shout, whoever it was. I get the feeling that the success of the clubs he has been assistant at can be laid more at his feet than we know. I think he pulls more strings than we are led to believe.

As long as we don't go for the bleedin obvious because of funds, which would be Allardyce, and don't get sentimental with Shearer or just plain stupid with McClaren I can live with just about whoever.

Personal preference to me would be Ince I think. To the someone that cited his lack of Prem experience??? Where the hell do you think he played the majority of his football? I liked his playing style, he's done well in management and on listening to him he sounds hungry for success and quite determined, he is his own man.

As nicko said, this is our most crucial appointment yet, we have to get it right not just as a manager who can keep us ticking over but one with the charisma to both keep our current crop of players and attract new ones. The name Mark Hughes I am sure went a long way to securing the services of some of our current playing staff. The new fella should also have this allure.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Appointments that would have me considering giving up on Rovers. Allardyce or Shearer. Let's put these two out of the frame please.

I would have Shearer (a born winner in a similar mould as Hughes) with Hughes backroom staff (still under contract). Don't kid yourself MH did all this by himself. In fact what about Shearer with Newell alond side him??

Appointments that would have me considering giving up on Rovers. Allardyce, McClaren or Shearer. Let's put these three out of the frame please.

I'd never give up on Rovers but I'd not be happy with any of those 3.

I guess we just have to trust the chairman (or hope MH decides he doesn't want to work for either the Thai nutter or the Russian nutter).

The ones that interest and excite me in no particular order. Gary Johnson, Paul Ince, Dick Advocaat, Bilic.

I also think Poyet is a good shout, whoever it was. I get the feeling that the success of the clubs he has been assistant at can be laid more at his feet than we know. I think he pulls more strings than we are led to believe.

As long as we don't go for the bleedin obvious because of funds, which would be Allardyce, and don't get sentimental with Shearer or just plain stupid with McClaren I can live with just about whoever.

Personal preference to me would be Ince I think. To the someone that cited his lack of Prem experience??? Where the hell do you think he played the majority of his football? I liked his playing style, he's done well in management and on listening to him he sounds hungry for success and quite determined, he is his own man.

As nicko said, this is our most crucial appointment yet, we have to get it right not just as a manager who can keep us ticking over but one with the charisma to both keep our current crop of players and attract new ones. The name Mark Hughes I am sure went a long way to securing the services of some of our current playing staff. The new fella should also have this allure.

Agreed on McLaren and Fatty, but Shearer could be an absolute gem of a manager if he has the desire.

I would have Shearer (a born winner in a similar mould as Hughes) with Hughes backroom staff (still under contract). Don't kid yourself MH did all this by himself.

No way I am firmly convinced Shearer will be a management flop, regardless of his backroom staff. As has been said, as much as Sparky was touted as a future Man U manager, Shearer will be for Newcastle IF he doesn't bomb as a manager. Also I have since edited my post to include McClaren.

I agree with you re allardyce and mclaren. But why are you so anti-shearer?

Rovers should take a gamble and go for Shearer!

No thanks! Done pretty much nothing of note at Lyn FC.

Best i byen! :P

To be honest, Henning is not such a bad shout. Young, intelligent, ambitious, done it all as a player, respected international and has cut his teeth with Lyn in Norway's top flight. Ok he hasn't won anything with them but he has had two repectable finishes and again, so far this term is doing ok.

There are more than a few parallels with Hughes there. Remember, Hughes hadn't won anything when he joined the Rovers and still hasn't.

No way I am firmly convinced Shearer will be a management flop, regardless of his backroom staff. As has been said, as much as Sparky was touted as a future Man U manager, Shearer will be for Newcastle IF he doesn't bomb as a manager. Also I have since edited my post to include McClaren.

Ok, you're convinced that must be it then! But I can see Shearer with Newell as his number 2!!!

As for Grayson?? He has only just managed to keep Blackpool in the Championship, does that really qualify him to take over a top 10 Prem team??

Shearer wouldn't be a long-term appointment though, as soon as he showed evidence of doing well he'd be back up to Newcastle in a shot. Just like last time.

As far as I'm concerned, Shearer will probably jump ship as soon as Newcastle come calling. Can we afford to take the risk, especially with Keegan's record in management. Any sentimentality for him, Newell etc should be discounted as we should only get the best for the job, rather then ex players.

It's just my opinion that's all. Just a gut feel I have about him. But hey, I am one of the ones that thought Mark Hughes would be a terrible appointment too so don't worry too much it. :D

Correct me if im wrong but wasnt it the appointment of keegan that ruled him out of the toon job :unsure:

I think arry was their first choice but he decided to stay at pompey - a decision that was vindicated with their FA Cup win. Then barcodes approached Keegan and (initially) Shearer. A long shot but lets hope Hughes thinks along similar lines. If he does, it will be a huge moral victory for us and all the smaller clubs in the prem and will be a big **** you to the foreign brigade.

I cannot for the life of me understand why the forum moderator has locked my post on MH.

Because we have this topic and also Nicko's thread. There is no point in people posting the same opinion's over 4 or 5 different topics.

I would have Shearer (a born winner in a similar mould as Hughes) with Hughes backroom staff (still under contract).

Mark Hughes will take his backroom staff, managers always do. Equally if we force them to stay instead of getting a decent compensation figure they would most likely hand in their notice, serve it and then move to be with Hughes anyway.

As for Shearer, i have my doubts he will make it as a manager but regardless of that he is just to big a risk for us to take at this point. We need someone who will continue the good work Hughes has done and has established himself in the managerial world IMO.

Ok, you're convinced that must be it then! But I can see Shearer with Newell as his number 2!!!

As for Grayson?? He has only just managed to keep Blackpool in the Championship, does that really qualify him to take over a top 10 Prem team??

No that's not it, it's just an opinion mate that's all, see my other post re: Sparkys appointment at the top of this page. Just as there is no evidence that Shearer would be a flop there is nothing to show that he would be a success either. I never mentioned Grayson, so you must be referring to someone else there. Welcome to the MB too BTW.

It has to be Allardyce. I understand people's reservations based upon his style but 6 months at Newcastle does not undo 7 or 8 excellent years at Bolton.

Whilst the football under Hughes certainly wasn't long ball it was hardly free flowing. I would love Rovers to play 'Arsenal football' and win but we don't have the quality to do that. What maked me happy is watching my team win and be hard to beat. Hughes managed that more often than not and the best person to continue to push things forward is Fat Sam.

Allardyce is the perfect appointment for me.

It has to be Allardyce. I understand people's reservations based upon his style but 6 months at Newcastle does not undo 7 or 8 excellent years at Bolton.

Whilst the football under Hughes certainly wasn't long ball it was hardly free flowing. I would love Rovers to play 'Arsenal football' and win but we don't have the quality to do that. What maked me happy is watching my team win and be hard to beat. Hughes managed that more often than not and the best person to continue to push things forward is Fat Sam.

I agree fully on Allardyce, but my optimisam is that Hughes aint gone yet!!!

There'd be so many returned season tickets if Fat Sam was hired.

Archived