BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam Allardyce Poll.

Allardyce as manager?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy with Sam Allardyce as manager?

• Yes
    • No.

Of all the managers named, BFS is one of the most stable ones, proven in the premiership and we know he can work on a tight budget. We are not going to get the likes of Rikjaard, Mancini etc, so taking a risk on an unproven ex pro like Ince could risk our premiership status.

BFS kept Bolton in the premiership for 8 years (estimate) and got them into Europe a few times with, frankly, poorer players than we have. As soon as he left they went into freefall showing how much he contributed to their success.

We need stability. Of all the managers named, I think BFS has the best knowledge and experience to keep us where we are.

It wasn't so long ago that he was being touted for the England job.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allardyce's managerial record is very impressive, aside from his stint at Newcastle. My objections are the style of football he favours and his strategy for signing dubious 'veterans' to fill-gaps rather than looking to mould a long-term stable team.

I would prefer Rovers to take a risk with a guy like Paul Ince, rewarding achievements in the lower leagues.

However, despite all my reservations (including an instinctive dislike for Allardyce's public personality) I have to say YES.

Read Allardyce'sWiki bio. It's quite insightful.

But he's no Mark Hughes, by a long shot. :mellow:

For what it is worth I voted 'yes'. Don't understand the extreme negative feedback regarding BFS. We have to be realistic and realise Hughes is leaving because the club can no longer match his expectations and ambitions. BFS has had to lower his own expectations and has had his stock lowered since the Newcastle situation and he needs to rebuild his career, which at a club like rovers is a good fit for all concerned. Two seasons ago he was being touted for all the top jobs ala as Hughes is now. Be realistic no one likes us we have little or no money and are punching way above our weight. Respect to Hughes great job but it was only a matter of time he would have gone Newcastle in Jan if the phone had rung from Ashley.

BFS won't let McCarthy strop around the place like Hughes did last season ! All those knocking the style of play of BFS come on we have hardly been the entertainment kings under Hughes have we

:rover: VOTED NO,but i am seriously worried many posters have voted yes,i would be down to ewood and ask for a refund on my season ticket right away.players and managers come and go,supporters are for life!!!but there is no way i could stomach a season off HOOF IT,WIN A CORNER,WIN A THROW IN FOOTBALL :brfcsmilie:

Allardyce's managerial record is very impressive, aside from his stint at Newcastle. My objections are the style of football he favours and his strategy for signing dubious 'veterans' to fill-gaps rather than looking to mould a long-term stable team.

I would prefer Rovers to take a risk with a guy like Paul Ince, rewarding achievements in the lower leagues.

Considering where Souey left us in the league, we did take a risk on Hughes to get us up and out of the relegation zone when he came in. So getting Ince in could be in the same category IMO. Looks to be a choice of experience (Allardyce, Coppell, McLaren) or an up and comer with relative inexperience (Ince, Bilic). Either way, the choice has to be spot on for Rovers to even continue where Hughes will leave off.

Allardyce – Good Points

- Similar to Hughes when it comes to resurrecting careers

- Worked on a smaller budget before successfully

- Likes his technology and sports science which is at the forefront of todays game.

- Had Bolton around 6th or 7th for a good few years with a poorer squad of players.

- Big teams don’t like playing his teams.

Bad Points

- His son is dodgy, ban him from coming near the club

- Will he play long ball???

I voted YES. Waggy & co.. why do you not want him? Other than for the style of football Bolton played?

I voted yes, for many of the reasons above, keeping Rovers punching above our weight for a few seaons so we can get the takeover settled is not great but might be the best we can hope for at the moment.... not a fan of his, and I wouldn't be singing his praise, but I can't say I'd react witht he hatred I've seen other post.

And can you spot the contradiction....

i would be down to ewood and ask for a refund on my season ticket right away.players and managers come and go,supporters are for life!!!

:rover: VOTED NO,but i am seriously worried many posters have voted yes,i would be down to ewood and ask for a refund on my season ticket right away.players and managers come and go,supporters are for life!!!but there is no way i could stomach a season off HOOF IT,WIN A CORNER,WIN A THROW IN FOOTBALL :brfcsmilie:

One of the few times that I agree with waggy

Allardyce – Good Points

- Similar to Hughes when it comes to resurrecting careers

- Worked on a smaller budget before successfully

- Likes his technology and sports science which is at the forefront of todays game.

- Had Bolton around 6th or 7th for a good few years with a poorer squad of players.

- Big teams don’t like playing his teams.

Bad Points

- His son is dodgy, ban him from coming near the club

- Will he play long ball???

I voted YES. Waggy & co.. why do you not want him? Other than for the style of football Bolton played?

Style of football is a serious consideration, but also in particular the allegations that have previously surrounded him (Souness Mark II), his arrogant public persona, the effect he will have on attendances, the fact that he clearly didn't know how to spend wisely the money he was given at Newcastle, the alienation of players, etc., etc.

:rover: supporters are for life,i would never support another football team but watching big sams style off football week in week out is not for me,he would last 3 seasons max then i would be back,remenber i am one off the few who can remenber JIM ILEY :rolleyes::brfcsmilie:

Your not moving in with him mate.

He just might be managing our football club

kingsleyamis has put it far better than I ever could:

No to Allardyce!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unlike some people on here, I can't separate my principles from my support of the Rovers.

I'm just crossing my fingers that John Williams is as shrewd a judge of character as I think he is.

Voted yes on balance for a number of reasons. It was clinched by this-

I asked myself, would BFS keep Rovers in the Premier League long term?

Then, are there many other candidates I'd feel so confident about doing that?

And apparentley you came up with a yes on your first question?? I am not so sure on that one. Would he have kept Newcastle up had he stayed? Perhaps that is a more realisitci question and a better indicator of how he might perform here. Let's not forget BFS had plenty of time to put together Notlobs squad, remember Bolton flirted with relegation in their first two seasons back. Can we afford that risk.

I voted no not because of the style of football, although I sat through some horrendous stuff every time we went to the Reebok and eventually gave up going to away games there, because it was so cold even in summer and there was nothing in the game to warm you up. My objections to Allardyce are purely irrational and female. He's a revolting looking bloke who makes my flesh squirm. His voice and manner are repulsive, and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. He's like that slightly odd bloke who lives down your street so you go the long way round to avoid having to walk past his house. I wouldn't go to ewood if he was manager, but, as I have already paid up front for my season ticket it would be no great loss. I don't spend much on food or drink at the ground and my husband would probably still buy a programme as he maintains he would still go.

NO No No! This will not do at all. For heavens sake, Allardyce has no right or qualification to be Rovers manager.

Those voting for him must not see enough of his teams (if you can call a lot of people near their own goal line and one bug lump up front a team). If you think we play unattractive football under Hughes boy have you got a big shock coming.

10 good reasons to avoid him like the plague.

1. Isn't he or his son still under investigation by the FA for something nameless? We're usually pretty ethical under JW

2. What PR we'll get - he won't talk to the TV for heavens sake.

3. If I was out of a job and lived locally I'd apply but I'd hope they have more sense than to appoint me (but I've no clouds hanging over me)

4. What a buffoon - He's approached Blackburn. No need for a shortlist eh Sam!! Very gracious of you.

5. The article says excellent record! What excellent record is that - Boltons crowds were going down when he left.

6. Who would he bring to coach - Sammy Lee - he has no backroom staff! Well except the 28 - yes 28 he left at Necky on stupid wages!

7. He has few/no contacts in the current game (except Craig! Oh thats sorted then.)

8. And I believe he is still trying to get the BBC into the courts - so no distractions there then!

9. Oh and how much did the value of his squad go up by while he was at Bolton? Zilch as not one young player worth anything has come through - who would get into our current (or second string) Rovers team right now????? It's like Souness but without thecash to bail us out. At least Souey could pick a player!

10. For anyone voting yes how many time have you seen Bolton outclass or outplay us? Once possibly in the last ---ten years-- maybe?

We have some time to scout around and don't need a 2nd rate journeyman. We pay the 20th highest wage in football management now. We can do a million times better than a bloated overrated (well he's not even overrated is he), possibly under investigation, tactical numpty.

To quote Nicko - You/We can do better (by miles probably!)

Mark my words - this would be a disaster.

If no Bilic or Shearer than Big Fat Sam is the man so ive voted yes.

1. Got a good knowledge of the foreign transfer market. Examples include Ivan Campo, Stelios Gianakopolous, Ricardo Gardner, Henrik Pedersen, Andranik Taymourian, Abdoulaye Meite, Abdoulaye Faye, Jussi Jaskalinen, Ali - Al Habsi.

2. Can and is proven and used to working on a shoestring budget.

3. Will make sure the players give 100% every game and has a good record with Bolton.

4. Of course he brought young players through he brought in Joey O'Brien, Nicky Hunt, Ricardo Vaz Te, Kevin Nolan, Blerim Dzemali (young but got bought but he got injured preseason).

5. What do you want a mix of long ball and passing like now but miss out on Europe or long ball and be in Europe?

6. Who gives a crap about what he's done in the past as long as he knows BRFC won't stand for it whats the harm?

7. 28 people well that's Newcastles fault for employing them because Allardyce didn't hold a knife to Mike Ashleys throat and say employ them or im going to kill you did he? He can bring a few in and im sure the board will tell who he can.

8. I like his assistants name Ricky Sbragia.

If no Bilic or Shearer than Big Fat Sam is the man so ive voted yes.

1. Got a good knowledge of the foreign transfer market. Examples include Ivan Campo, Stelios Gianakopolous, Ricardo Gardner, Henrik Pedersen, Andranik Taymourian, Abdoulaye Meite, Abdoulaye Faye, Jussi Jaskalinen, Ali - Al Habsi.

2. Can and is proven and used to working on a shoestring budget.

3. Will make sure the players give 100% every game and has a good record with Bolton.

4. Of course he brought young players through he brought in Joey O'Brien, Nicky Hunt, Ricardo Vaz Te, Kevin Nolan, Blerim Dzemali (young but got bought but he got injured preseason).

5. What do you want a mix of long ball and passing like now but miss out on Europe or long ball and be in Europe?

6. Who gives a crap about what he's done in the past as long as he knows BRFC won't stand for it whats the harm?

7. 28 people well that's Newcastles fault for employing them because Allardyce didn't hold a knife to Mike Ashleys throat and say employ them or im going to kill you did he? He can bring a few in and im sure the board will tell who he can.

8. I like his assistants name Ricky Sbragia.

1. Most of these have or had no residual value

2. So it's no wonder he works on a shoestring

3. Oh right forgot they keep overunning us don't they

4. And who would you have in our team right now - oh and their value - combined 3-4 million

5. I'll take the mix please

6. Me

7. Oh well thats allright then - we'll know whose in charge won't we!

I voted no not because of the style of football, although I sat through some horrendous stuff every time we went to the Reebok and eventually gave up going to away games there, because it was so cold even in summer and there was nothing in the game to warm you up. My objections to Allardyce are purely irrational and female. He's a revolting looking bloke who makes my flesh squirm. His voice and manner are repulsive, and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. He's like that slightly odd bloke who lives down your street so you go the long way round to avoid having to walk past his house. I wouldn't go to ewood if he was manager, but, as I have already paid up front for my season ticket it would be no great loss. I don't spend much on food or drink at the ground and my husband would probably still buy a programme as he maintains he would still go.

Completely irrational gumboots. You have employed no logic at all in that post. You need to lie down in a darkened room, with a box of kleenex and popping bubblewrap for a day or two until you get back to normal. ;)

Personally I'd rather have Hughes for his demeanour, his man management and his scouting ability but thats prob not possible so Sam does represent as close to a safe pair of hands for our club as we are likely to get. Have we all forgotten that he did an absolutely sterling job at Bolton with very little money for a decade.

All those that moan and think we will play long ball must be daft, cos we've played our share of long ball football when necessary. And no one has mentioned this to the best of my knowledge BUT what options would we have of doing anything else even if Hughes had stayed but Bentley had left? With our normal creative outlet gone we'd likely have had to resort to the 'Samba to RSC in one pass' method. I must say that imo Bolton played most of the bloody minded, defend deep and play long ball stuff when they were playing the top four.... and thats prob why they enjoyed so much success against them. Surely only a fool or an optimist will try to out football the likes of MU and Arsenal.

May I speak for the accused?

NO No No! This will not do at all. For heavens sake, Allardyce has no right or qualification to be Rovers manager.

Those voting for him must not see enough of his teams (if you can call a lot of people near their own goal line and one bug lump up front a team). If you think we play unattractive football under Hughes boy have you got a big shock coming.

10 good reasons to avoid him like the plague.

1. Isn't he or his son still under investigation by the FA for something nameless? We're usually pretty ethical under JW

So was Brian Clough, El Tel and even the old RFW and his son have had more than a whiff of suspicion held against them.

2. What PR we'll get - he won't talk to the TV for heavens sake.

err BBC actually! But I'm sure that he would if the club insisted he did. Anyway it's not damaged MU and Pompey has it? Also that programme was an absolute bloody shambles full of accusation without a shred of evidence.

3. If I was out of a job and lived locally I'd apply but I'd hope they have more sense than to appoint me (but I've no clouds hanging over me)

Go for it then prof

4. What a buffoon - He's approached Blackburn. No need for a shortlist eh Sam!! Very gracious of you.

shows a dynamic and enthusiastic approach

5. The article says excellent record! What excellent record is that - Boltons crowds were going down when he left.

Are you sure? I'm not but I've a feeling that Boltons crowds actually peaked just before he left.

6. Who would he bring to coach - Sammy Lee - he has no backroom staff! Well except the 28 - yes 28 he left at Necky on stupid wages!

Who knows he has a clean sheet to start with but Little Sam's back at Lpool now. Also his attention to detail was frequently praised and imitated.

7. He has few/no contacts in the current game (except Craig! Oh thats sorted then.)

Course he has he's only been out of the game since mid winter. Thats just plain daft talk

8. And I believe he is still trying to get the BBC into the courts - so no distractions there then!

Already dealt with this and I'd like to point nout that so would I if I had been villified like he was with not a shred of evidence against me

9. Oh and how much did the value of his squad go up by while he was at Bolton? Zilch as not one young player worth anything has come through - who would get into our current (or second string) Rovers team right now????? It's like Souness but without thecash to bail us out. At least Souey could pick a player!

You have a point but then this has been discussed widely on here and Hughes has hardly excelled there has he? He's preferred to bring in and work with under achievers.

10. For anyone voting yes how many time have you seen Bolton outclass or outplay us? Once possibly in the last ---ten years-- maybe?

Ditto with us .... until this year when we actually did the double over em AFTER he'd left. This fixture has been a nailed on draw since we were both promoted. You really are struggling now

Completely irrational gumboots. You have employed no logic at all in that post. You need to lie down in a darkened room, with a box of kleenex and popping bubblewrap for a day or two until you get back to normal. ;)

Personally I'd rather have Hughes for his demeanour, his man management and his scouting ability but thats prob not possible so Sam does represent as close to a safe pair of hands for our club as we are likely to get. Have we all forgotten that he did an absolutely sterling job at Bolton with very little money for a decade.

All those that moan and think we will play long ball must be daft, cos we've played our share of long ball football when necessary. And no one has mentioned this to the best of my knowledge BUT what options would we have of doing anything else even if Hughes had stayed but Bentley had left? With our normal creative outlet gone we'd likely have had to resort to the 'Samba to RSC in one pass' method. I must say that imo Bolton played most of the bloody minded, defend deep and play long ball stuff when they were playing the top four.... and thats prob why they enjoyed so much success against them. Surely only a fool or an optimist will try to out football the likes of MU and Arsenal.

As I said I know it's irrational. It's my prerogative being female and 50+. Doesn't mean I don't mean it though. don't like popping bubble wrap either. If someone will pay the airfare I'll take myself back to Munich to visit my grandson until it's all over and done with and then I can come back and decide whether I really can miss my fortnightly fix of rovers because i have an illogical hatred of allardyce or whether I'm too addicted to the ups and downs of our club and can just go and not look at the left hand side of the pitch. Since the guy makes me feel physically sick, if I decide to continue attending games could those who sit below my seat in the family stand please wear protective clothing as if we get a corner to the left I might catch sight of him and accidentally throw up over the front of the stand.

Archived