BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Henk Ten Cate

Can we have a poll on him please?

Id be delighted with him - think he is the manager that can find talent due to his experience in europe and his contacts at top clubs - could possibly pick a few gems up from the likes of Barca B team or something!

In terms of his opposition - i want him to be our boss over BFS, Ince, Martinez and McClown.

If we got him then i think it is a big step which could pay dividends for us and he has the potential to take us to that next step.

I've put this in Nicko's thread but things tend to get lost in there, so I'll ask it here:

Take away his stints as an assistant (after all, they're meaningless) and what is really separating him from a bucket load of other moderately successful European coaches?

He could easily be another Alain Perrin/Christian Gross waiting to happen, he's barely achieved anything as a manager and he's in to his 50s now.

Due to the clubs he has worked for - Barcelona, Chelsea, Ajax - he must have something special.

He must also have a good continental knowledge of the game and must surely also have a good scouting network which could help with our strict budget.

I also dont think he would take any sh!t from Bentley, which is what we need.

I also dont think he would take any sh!t from Bentley, which is what we need.

This is definitely not the time for a "hard man" routine, what if he also won't take any sh1t off Friedel, Warnock, Samba, and Roque and they all decide to leave? We'd be in serious trouble.

If it was a similar situation to when Souness arrived ( Lots of overpaid underachievers who needed shipping out) he might be the ideal man.

He's my first choice for the job. Even if he doesn't stay long, his CV is outstanding and could hopefully help hand us over to another qualified coach if he does leave in 2 or 3 seasons; only after a trip to the CL or something along those lines. ;)

But given his hstory, I feel he can do some great things with the club, Laudrup being my umber two choice.

Remember that he's been the bad cop in a "good cop bad cop" management situation. It doesn't necessarily mean that he'll stab people in the eye if they start yawning at a team talk :) And he managed to get on in Barcelona, I don't recall any complaints about his style of player management from there, and he was there for a while.

I think the players in Chelsea may have had more power than was good for them and didn't appreciate him stepping on their toes, even though it got results.

Good lord, courtesy and a politeness on an internet messageboard! What next :)

I see the point, though, it is a risk - but I think I would prefer it to the BFS "safe hands" kind of route 1. My opinions may be off, though, I also really like the thought of Martinez!

He does seem to tick all the boxes. Of all the names that have been mentioned I think he will be the most attractive to current players and future signings. He likes decent football, has a great history, he can point to his CL win and role at Chelsea to wow the staff.

Only two questions for me need to be answered before he is given the job. a) Is he hungry for it? If he is coming to earn the money but not all that enthusiastic about the challenge that is not acceptable, he has to be excited about the job. B) Does he have a solid plan about how to progress the club? Not neccessarily something set in stone, but ideas that show that he has seriously considered how to move a mid sized club like Rovers forward beyond just opening a check book.

If these two criteria are met in the interview imo he is a shoo-in.

Laudrup also appeals but he does not seem to have shown much interest. The last thing we want to do is try to convince someone to take a role. We need them to want it badly.

Knowing little about the guy before this week, I've now read what I can on Ten Cate's career to date.

And I'm sorry, but this all reeks of a No. 2 wanting to be a No. 1.

He's 54 and has not convincingly cut it in charge of a big club (not sure how well he was doing at Ajax?).

I wondered at the time why would you leave being manager of Ajax to be an assistant at Chelsea?

Because that's his level.

Just like Shearer apparently doesn't have the cojones to test himself at Rovers, so Ten Cate has hidden behind a manager too often.

It's a harsh, lonely job to have when results aren't going your way and a manager needs a thick skin and a hell of a lot of self-belief to survive the bear pit that's the Premiership these days.

Archived