BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Henk Ten Cate

Knowing little about the guy before this week, I've now read what I can on Ten Cate's career to date.

And I'm sorry, but this all reeks of a No. 2 wanting to be a No. 1.

He's 54 and has not convincingly cut it in charge of a big club (not sure how well he was doing at Ajax?).

I wondered at the time why would you leave being manager of Ajax to be an assistant at Chelsea?

Because that's his level.

Just like Shearer apparently doesn't have the cojones to test himself at Rovers, so Ten Cate has hidden behind a manager too often.

It's a harsh, lonely job to have when results aren't going your way and a manager needs a thick skin and a hell of a lot of self-belief to survive the bear pit that's the Premiership these days.

Spot on. Can you imagine either of our last two managers willing to be a Number 2 anywhere?

Ten Cate's CV seems quite poor to me and I'd much rather we took a chance on an up-and-coming manager.

Assuming Ten Cate's even in the running of course (and I remain unconvinced).

The view of a Rovers based Dutch fan from the LET website:

Posted by: Danny, Holland on 2:24pm today

Here in Holland we are not very impressed by Henk ten Cate associating himself with the vacancy at Ewood. He has had a very chequered career, both as a player and coach. I hope Rovers are not blinded by the fact that he has been number 2 at Barca and Chelsea and managed Ajax (where he wasn’t considered a success !). Ten Cate never stays anywhere for very long, he seems to have an impact in the first season and then fades and falls out of favour. He is not what you want if you are looking to stabilise things after Hughes, he has never built a team and enjoyed consistency or success. He is at best a strikers coach but not a club manager. Advocat or Allerdyce would be a much better choice than Ten Cate. The only foreign coach who would impress me would be Laudrup.

Hah, I've been copping a lot of it the last couple of days.

(and thanks for not pointing out my horrible grammatical error).

I had your back. You were getting some unfair stick, especially as you are one of the more polite and well reasoned posters on here (I'm just saying that because I agree with you a lot!!).

I'm for Ince too. Do we need to start a Facebook group to give our views any credance?

It's the modern way :)

The best one I found was: "I bet I can find a million people who agree with populist statements". Sums it up nicely IMO.

I don't buy the criticism of Ten Cate either. He has moved around a lot, and he has got up people's noses but when in charge he has done decently well. As far as looking for soemone to fill the role for a long time Lauraup and Ince are certainly no better either, both having moved on very quickly wherever they have been.

The one criticism that I do see as relevent is why did he move back into an assistant role at Barca post Ajax? This is something that will need to be investigated at the interview. We do want someone who is committed. Still out of the announced candiates overwhelmingly my first choice.

Archived