BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Are You Really A Rovers "fan"?

So you believe to be a fan you have to back the manager? You can't just back the club and the players?

So people who have put thousands of pounds into the club over many years are suddenly "glory hunters" or not proper fans because they cannot stand the scumbag that is Sam Allardyce?

I believe that real fans support the club no matter what. I well remember the lukewarm reception that Gordon Lee got when he arrived and the disenchantment of supporters when he sold Tony Field and Terry Garbutt. Yet Lee turned out to be an excellent manager who led the club to the Third Division Championship.

What I am trying to say is that whoever gets the job should be given a chance. I'm not going to pre-judge any manager who we appoint. I don't believe that Ten Cate or Ince would be a success but if they were appointed I would support them all the way.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I am trying to say is that whoever gets the job should be given a chance. I'm not going to pre-judge any manager who we appoint. I don't believe that Ten Cate or Ince would be a success but if they were appointed I would support them all the way.

Exactly, we are not Newcastle fans... I really (along with most) don't want Allardyce but if he comes, he comes and then just wait and see.

What have Newcastle fans got to do with it. they think every new manager is going to be the Messiah. You're right we're not Newcastle fans. We've got more sense.

But aren't you pre-judging Allardyce???? By the way I don't want him and he won't be our next manager. :tu:

Yes of course I am, and it quite shocks me that I can be so prejudiced when I normally think I'm a fairly tolerant person as you have to be working with the kids I work with. there's something about this guy though that brings out in me all the worst traits in my character. I don't know why and i wish it was otherwise because I don't want to find myself the pariah of the message board but that's the way it is.

Yes of course I am, and it quite shocks me that I can be so prejudiced when I normally think I'm a fairly tolerant person as you have to be working with the kids I work with. there's something about this guy though that brings out in me all the worst traits in my character. I don't know why and i wish it was otherwise because I don't want to find myself the pariah of the message board but that's the way it is.

Your entitled to your opinions gumboots, don't let anyone tell you otherwise or that you should change them.

Your entitled to your opinions gumboots, don't let anyone tell you otherwise or that you should change them.

I would change them if I could see any of what others obviously see in the guy. I'm not inflexible but it's this attitude that we can't do better and therefore we have to accept him that's really wound me up. all this we need experience in a manager may or may not be true but I can't see that gambling on allardyce is any less of a gamble than gambling on A.N.Other. A different kind of gamble but a gamble nevertheless, and one where the guy you're gambling on is at best tolerated and at worst actively disliked by a significant section of your crowd.

I believe that you are getting worked up about something that will not happen, the discomfort of a section of the fans over Allardyce has got through to John Williams and it will have an impact on his decision.

Meanwhile we have all received your message, loud and clear, repeated many times. Nothing wrong with having that strength of feeling but we all know your views now.

Have faith in John Williams, have a glass of wine, chill and smile at the prospect of a new season under a new manager with some positive changes ^_^ - and it won't be Allardyce, promise. Make certain you occupy your seat, you really don't want to miss out.

There are a lot of people on here who seem to think it's their right to tell other people how to spend their money and how to form their opinions, and if they don't then they aren't real fans, or they're stupid, or childish or any of the other petulant remarks that have been made. Then there are some who put their case rationally and reasonably and do what a forum is for - discuss things. In both cases, you know who you are.

The fact of the matter is that supporting a football team is not uniquely linked to attending matches. And it's an entertainment business. And if some people choose to link the appointment of a particular applicant to a style of play and spend THEIR hard earned money a different way from Rovers then people can disagree with it, but NOBODY has a right to personalise it.

And for the record, I will continue to state my opinion that I do not want Allardyce right up to the point he gets appointed. Then I'll shut up and turn up in August and watch the Rovers. At that point, however, I reserve the right to moan like f**k if I'm watching the sky trying to spot the ball :lol:

Yes you are, you've said that even if Allardyce took over and was doing well you still wouldn't go!

If any of your pupils were behaving like that you'd tell them not to be so bloomimg silly!

:)

Perhaps I should have said "not usually". I think that's why I'm shocked myself at how strongly I feel.

So you believe to be a fan you have to back the manager? You can't just back the club and the players?

Yes of course you can. The 'club' as a collective group is about everyone - the players, fans, staff and manager.

There are always players you don't like but still attend.

There are always fans you don't like but still attend.

There may well be staff at the club you don't like but still attend.

Just because you don't like the manager on a personal level, as Gumboots is stating, it shouldn't be a reason not to atttend.

If, and it's a big if, the style of football was shockingly bad then maybe there'd be a point. However we don't know this yet. A lot of Bolton fans didn't complain whilst Sam was there and they were obviously very pee'd off when he left by the reception he got.

But, as I say, If the football to be complete long ball hoofs and not getting results anywhere there may be a point to not attend. However to pay for a season ticket but not use it because you just don't like the manager is just illogical.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that Gumboots only started following in the Hodgson era. It's been said many times on here by me and others that Rovers fans have been relatively spoiled for the last 16 years with the fare on offer at Ewood. Had she witnessed Bob Dewhurst and David Mail hoofing the ball upfield they may have a diferent stance in receding their attendacne just because of a manager.

That doesn't mean they aren't true Rovers fans. It's just they've never known what it's like when the going really gets tough. When you're scapping around near the foot of the first division with sparse crowds, no hope of going up and only relegation, Div 2, Paul Shepstone and the dingles seemingly awaiting you on the distant horizon.

How pathetic are you?? I'm not Fat Sams number one fan either but it wont stop me going. At least its not Brian Kidd taking over then we would have something to worry about. Now please pick up your toys off the floor, place them back in your cot and come to pick your dummy up which has just hit me in my face!

well i will throw my toys at of my cot as you put it if we get big fat sam, but as it seems unlikely ill keep them for the moment

OK, I'll join the list of people not attending next season unless conditions are met...

I'm not attending a game at Ewood this next year unless the following conditions are met:

1) Someone buys me a round trip airfare ticket from Dallas to Heathrow.

2) I buy them a pint for their generosity.

I must admit I have been quite surprised by some of the responses to my original post. Attending every single game possible has always been an almost subliminal matter for me, regardless of the circumstances involving the club at that time.

I think that if you are prepared to turn your back on Rovers because of the choice of manager, then pretty soon you justify to yourself that it is ok to stop going because they are in the bottom half of the league, then because they are in the Championship etc etc.

Before you know it you find yourself watching every live game in the pub, even though it is being played only a couple of miles away at Ewood, and telling yourself and anyone that argues with you that you are still as much a fan. Some of my mates have done this and I am sorry but it just doesn't wash. IMHO anyway following your team isn't like going to the cinema every other week where you can pay your money and take your choice, it is a relationship, albeit sometimes a very one sided one, where you accept that you aren't always happy about results/players/performances, but still you go next week. Some may argue that it is illogical but that is the whole point, it is.

If Fat Sam did get the Rovers gig, and hopefully he won't, the return of loads of season tickets would reinforce all the negative stereotypes about our club and its following, and we would be the laughing stock of the Premiership.

People are very sensitive about how much of a fan they are deemed to be by others and I can understand that. This isn't me saying that just by having a season ticket I am a bigger fan than someone sat on the other side of the planet who can't attend, because that is simply unfair. It has been debated on here before and isn't the point I am trying to make.

I will however stick my neck out and say that those who can pick and choose their season ticket purchases over the choice of manager just aren't as "into" the whole Rovers following thing as the rest of us who continue to go and watch. I still very much think a lot of people are just sounding off and won't back up their petulant claims, but hopefully we will never have to find out.

I must admit I have been quite surprised by some of the responses to my original post. Attending every single game possible has always been an almost subliminal matter for me, regardless of the circumstances involving the club at that time.

I think that if you are prepared to turn your back on Rovers because of the choice of manager, then pretty soon you justify to yourself that it is ok to stop going because they are in the bottom half of the league, then because they are in the Championship etc etc.

Before you know it you find yourself watching every live game in the pub, even though it is being played only a couple of miles away at Ewood, and telling yourself and anyone that argues with you that you are still as much a fan. Some of my mates have done this and I am sorry but it just doesn't wash. IMHO anyway following your team isn't like going to the cinema every other week where you can pay your money and take your choice, it is a relationship, albeit sometimes a very one sided one, where you accept that you aren't always happy about results/players/performances, but still you go next week. Some may argue that it is illogical but that is the whole point, it is.

If Fat Sam did get the Rovers gig, and hopefully he won't, the return of loads of season tickets would reinforce all the negative stereotypes about our club and its following, and we would be the laughing stock of the Premiership.

People are very sensitive about how much of a fan they are deemed to be by others and I can understand that. This isn't me saying that just by having a season ticket I am a bigger fan than someone sat on the other side of the planet who can't attend, because that is simply unfair. It has been debated on here before and isn't the point I am trying to make.

I will however stick my neck out and say that those who can pick and choose their season ticket purchases over the choice of manager just aren't as "into" the whole Rovers following thing as the rest of us who continue to go and watch. I still very much think a lot of people are just sounding off and won't back up their petulant claims, but hopefully we will never have to find out.

I'm not part of the clan, I think Allardyce would do a decent job, though I would rather get someone more exciting.

But seriously, get a life mate.

I'm not part of the clan, I think Allardyce would do a decent job, though I would rather get someone more exciting.

But seriously, get a life mate.

:wstu:

Plenty of other topics for you to read if you don't like this one "mate". Never seen anyone being pulled for being too passionate before, but hey that seems to be the trend now...

i'd never stop being a fan but the appointment of the fat bung lover would bring a guarenteed sense of resignation that the club would start to go backwards, expectations would be nil, not being angry when we lose just not suprised, not suprised when the talent jumps ship. Always a fan but just not excited by the new season in the way i should be. I pray he does'nt get a sniff of this job can only think of McClown as a worse candidate but his name is only in the frame due to wind up merchants and the cretin himself.

Coming round to the idea of the turkey manager, only 53 and one hell of a lot better cv than the above mentioned!

I prefer Ince but I couldn't sell my soul to another club, No matter what. There have been many times when I wished I could have ended up supporting a bigger club, mostly because there is no one here in the states to celebrate with when we win. But on the other hand it makes it that much sweeter when I'm in a pub full of man u guys and we go up one-nil. I wish I lived somewhere that I could go to games, so anyone that will stop going because of Sam has it wrong I think, especially before he is given a chance... That said please don't sign him :blink:

Manchesters closer ;)

What's a few hundred miles when I'm already coming over a thousand? :)

Not to mention, would I really want to run into any more manc scum on the way in than I have to? Not to mention I could take a touristy photo on London bridge with a lighter while singing London Bridge is Falling Down.

What's a few hundred miles when I'm already coming over a thousand? :)

Not to mention, would I really want to run into any more manc scum on the way in than I have to? Not to mention I could take a touristy photo on London bridge with a lighter while singing London Bridge is Falling Down.

Isn't London Bridge on your side of the pond?

Archived