BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Road Lay-out For Ewood Area?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading this topic it's not difficult to see why the Luddites are closely associated with this area.

This forced sabbatical to Blackburnistan will come to an end in a few months then I'm off to Sale.

Not to difficult to see what colours your views.

Burger-off to Sale (If anybody can find a more non-descript town I'd love to hear from them) ... but don't forget to change your moniker to "Adopted Altrincham-Wannabee".

Reading this topic it's not difficult to see why the Luddites are closely associated with this area.

Not to difficult to see what colours your views.

Don't be so smarmy ES. Given the numbers of people that HAVE 'burgered off' away from Blackburn for one resaon or another it's difficult to see how you can continue to defend your stance.

btw do you live in Darwen?

Yep...

I went to school in 'Cinder City' ES. DGS. I knew more Darreners in those days than Blackburn folk as well as quite a few Notlobers from Turton / Bromley X, Bradshaw etc. Local football rivalry with BWFC was far more intense than with Burnley.

btw Can I extend a heartfelt thanks to you on behalf of Blackburn residents toward Darrener's for re-arranging the previously badly skewed emphasis on BwD Council. :tu:

Burger-off to Sale (If anybody can find a more non-descript town I'd love to hear from them) ... but don't forget to change your moniker to "Adopted Altrincham-Wannabee".

"Between two hills so bleak and barren,

Lies dirty smelly scruffy Darren" :lol:

Take that pole out of your arrse, it's not Luddite to suggest that change for changes sake is expensive and pointless. Take it you don't run a stall in Darren's market hall then ?!

"Between two hills so bleak and barren,

Lies dirty smelly scruffy Darren" :lol:

Take that pole out of your arrse, it's not Luddite to suggest that change for changes sake is expensive and pointless. Take it you don't run a stall in Darren's market hall then ?!

Who gives a 'flying one' what you think? As a transient non-dom your views on what our council tax is used for are worth half-a-percent of diddely-squat.

Its a ridiculous empty headed 'no brainer' scheme cletus.

Embarrassing, the roads are'nt wide enough to incorporate traffic aswell as a bus lane.

Jack Straw should rename his party the wasted lives party instead of new labour.

They cant incorporate cycle lanes properly so what realistic chance is there of incorporating a bus lane along the narrow roads of East Lancashire.

Help !!!!!!! SOS !!!!!!!

What has this got to do with Jack Straw and Labour. I thought that the Tories were running the ship in B with D now.....god help us! :angry2:

I live on/in the proposed Ewood Gyratory (If you are unfamiliar with gyratory systems, the name seems dark and intriguing, bristling with a thousand possibilities - it just oozes Heath Robinson with a hint of Hieronymous Bosch. So what could be more of a let-down than to discover that it's just a big roundabout with a pretentious name?) so will be effected more than most by the changes

Seems the bus lane will only appear in certain places so will be as much use as the cycle lanes

Interested to see what happens on match days with no residents parking allowed on Bolton road and as for driving the wrong way up Albion road thats just weird

By the way our latest tourist attraction (Wainwrights bridge) is being tested on Monday night no Jack Straw isnt riding his bike over it but they are going to turn the lights on from 10 pm till 11 pm wow now thats something exciting to look forward to this Monday ????

I live on/in the proposed Ewood Gyratory (If you are unfamiliar with gyratory systems, the name seems dark and intriguing, bristling with a thousand possibilities - it just oozes Heath Robinson with a hint of Hieronymous Bosch. So what could be more of a let-down than to discover that it's just a big roundabout with a pretentious name?) so will be effected more than most by the changes

Seems the bus lane will only appear in certain places so will be as much use as the cycle lanes

Interested to see what happens on match days with no residents parking allowed on Bolton road and as for driving the wrong way up Albion road thats just weird

By the way our latest tourist attraction (Wainwrights bridge) is being tested on Monday night no Jack Straw isnt riding his bike over it but they are going to turn the lights on from 10 pm till 11 pm wow now thats something exciting to look forward to this Monday ????

Oooh that should be exciting! I live literally within spitting distance of the wonderful new Wainwright Bridge (Freckleton St Bridge would have been more fitting imo). I have put up with banging, hammering, bright halogen lights (at night i might add) etc .. oh and the inevitable and maddening filthy car syndrome for quite a while now. My poor car gets covered with dust and flying cr4p most nights so i'll be glad when it's all finished.

Mind you, alongside the bridge there are redevelopment plans for all round the firestation area so maybe it's time i bought a dust cover for my car!

Someone please let me know what time Jack is on his bike over the new bridge as I drive a very effective cyclist destroyer.

This is a bog-standard bus lane/traffic management scheme which is no different from hundreds throughout the country, or indeed Europe.

Why should anyone think that it's somehow daft?

I've just read this thread for the first time in a while and have to chuckle at that Colin. You've obviously not read some of the posts.

It's daft because it costs a fortune and DOES NOT NEED DOING. A bog standard bus lane traffic management thingy it may well be, but if the traffic including buses freely flows why waste the cash.

A far bigger problem has always been the lights going from Blackburn to Darwen at the Blackamoor pub. That needs widening into 2 lanes, one for turning right and one for straight on / left. It can take 15 minutes to get through 50 yards at ten past 5.

A dual carraigeway all along this route would be more efficient and would boost capacity a lot more than a bus lane, it wouldnt get more people on buses, but would certainly boost the economy by allowing people to move freely...

Am I missing the point, or would it just be easier to put on a couple more buses so they run more often than before? Surely that'd be cheaper than spending £50m on project that isn't required.

Give every council tax paying household 2 free bus passes per annum and do a cheapo deal with the bus companies for filling their buses up. There are too many cars about and too many buses running empty without passengers. Unfortunately it prob won't ever happen cos the council would lose a shed load of revenue from the parking meters.

Traffic related on the subject of that new bridge, I was trying to get from Vue to the far end of Canterbury street tonight but instead of just going straight along Canterbury St. as used to be the case, had to turn left onto the bridge, go over it, turn right onto Bolton Rd. do a u turn on Bolton Rd, turn left back the other way along the bridge, and turn left into Canterbury St.

Unbeferkinlievable.

Another 10m quid straight down the pan! :angry:

Could the council buy/hire/rent a single carriage train/tram & have it running between Blackburn station & Darwen station on a continuous loop with stops at places like Ewood, Lower Darwen etc...?? Surely much cheaper than a £10m road plan for 4 buses an hour. If they made it 'free' travel, they`d fill it at busy times of the day & reduce the need for more buses on already busy roads.

Just an idea.... :unsure:

why not use the same idea on routes like Accrington to Blackburn, Pleasington to Blackburn, Whalley to Blackburn?

Trams can easily run on train lines & would take traffic off the roads.....thus saving £millions on road spending in the borough.

The train lines are vastly under-used & are already in position. All you have to do is put rolling stock on it & make it free!!....you`ll soon see people using it

Could the council buy/hire/rent a single carriage train/tram & have it running between Blackburn station & Darwen station on a continuous loop with stops at places like Ewood, Lower Darwen etc...?? Surely much cheaper than a £10m road plan for 4 buses an hour. If they made it 'free' travel, they`d fill it at busy times of the day & reduce the need for more buses on already busy roads.

As I've already said 2 x free travel passes for every full council tax payer might fill the perrenially empty buses up and take cars off the road. Might not need a tram service.

Traffic related on the subject of that new bridge, I was trying to get from Vue to the far end of Canterbury street tonight but instead of just going straight along Canterbury St. as used to be the case, had to turn left onto the bridge, go over it, turn right onto Bolton Rd. do a u turn on Bolton Rd, turn left back the other way along the bridge, and turn left into Canterbury St.

Unbeferkinlievable.

Another 10m quid straight down the pan! :angry:

Simon next time you have to get between Vue and the far end of Canterbury St could I recommend that you turn left at the bottom of Audley, follow the Townsmoor gyratory, over the bridge and then left to your destination. By the way the bridge looks great!

In other words , Simon .......do exactly the same as you would have done a year or so ago . The time taken will be exactly the same as before - only now you'll have the opportunity to take in the sight of a hideous blue structure that cost £10 million of our taxes .

I've also used the bridge going from Montague St toward Brandy House Brow . You still have to go down to the bridge on Darwen St and deal with all the traffic lights as before . Seems all a bit pointless to me although I'm sure Mr Wainwright would have fully approved ...... :wacko:

In other words , Simon .......do exactly the same as you would have done a year or so ago . The time taken will be exactly the same as before - only now you'll have the opportunity to take in the sight of a hideous blue structure that cost £10 million of our taxes .

A year or so? It seems much longer than that Phil.

Archived